Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Red Head Steering gear box installed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/857253-red-head-steering-gear-box-installed.html)

Monster-4 09-22-2011 09:41 AM

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Are you saying the a wheel(s) clunks or rattles when go down the road? Or are you saying your truck wonders all over the place? Some more detail would help narrow down the issue. Steering issues can be anywhere from the steering shaft to the tires.

To narrow down a steering issue get someone to help you out. Lay under the truck with it in park, parking brake set and engine running. Have the helper turn the steering wheel left to right while you observer the pitman arm. It should turn at the same rate as the steering wheel. If not that it could be an issue with the steering box or/and the steering shaft. If everything checks out there look at the drag link to make sure it is moving along with the pitman arm. If not it could be defective. If it looks good move onto the tie rods doing the same observations.

If all those components check out then you can should check the ball joints. Turn the truck off and jack up the front end and place it on jack stands. Get a long pry bar or a long 2X4 board and pry up on one of the wheels. Look at the ball joints/knuckle area. The axle, knuckle should move upwards at the same rate as you pry up. If not the ball joints could be bad and is displayed as the slop you see. If that all checks out the next thing to check would be the steering axle u-joints (if you have a 4X4).

Remove the wheel on one side then remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle. Turn the steering knuckle back and forth. It should turn freely. If it does not it could be either the ball joints or the drive axle u-joints. If it does turn freely spin the drive axle 1/8 turn and check again. Keep doing this until you have gone 360 degrees on the drive axle. If at any point the steering knuckle becomes stiff or hard to turn the u-joint could be bad. repeat the process for the other side even if you find an issue on the side you started with.
If everything checks out make sure your alignment is proper (including toe, caster and camber). Check your tire pressure is at least the proper minimum PSI (you can try higher PSI) and your wheel bearing are not defective (i.e. they are not "howling" when going down the road).

After that get a priest and perform an exorcism.

okiebilka 09-22-2011 10:14 AM

steering

Monster-4, The steering wheel starts shaking so bad, you can hardly hold on to it. Like a wheel is not lugged tight or a tire is way out of balance or is flat. When you stop, it quits shaking and you can drive again until it starts shaking again. This may happen 1 or 2 times on a 30 mile trip or it may not happen at all on a 100 mile trip. The Ford garage said that it had 3 in. of play. It doesn't wonder off like some of the ones have said theirs does. It just shakes really really bad.

Monster-4 09-22-2011 10:27 AM

This sounds like "death wobble". Your truck 4x4? Is it lifted?

This is from a newer version of truck than yours but it should help to show if this is your problem or not.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8EuQ6f8rgT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

okiebilka 09-22-2011 10:42 AM

Death Wobble?

My truck is a 2 wheel drive and is not raised. The sheeting wheel does act like that, but I have never noticed that noise. I will have some one help me check out the things you listed in the 1st reply.
Thank you for your help. Will let you know what I find out.

white Buffalo 09-22-2011 12:17 PM

Wow - what a video clip Mike. What did that problem turn out to be?

Monster-4 09-22-2011 12:45 PM

That video is just one from Youtube I found. It's actually a well known issue with the 05-07 trucks. If you search in this forum for "death wobble" you'll find more on the subject than you care to read. Solutions to the problem range from a simple "kit" from Ford (I think is consists if a stick on weight that goes onto the hitch) to a company selling a redesigned trackbar. Many say theirs was cured or at least reduced by using a dual steering stabilizer.

I have the first gen truck that doesn't exhibit this issue so I haven't kept up with the issue as much as the ones whom suffered from it.

Greg B 09-22-2011 07:05 PM

If the steering box is going bad on a Ford, the steering will want to dart from side to side going down a straight road with no input from the driver. What you are describing to me sounds like a wheel bearing or ball joint issue. A wheel bearing will not necessarily howl when going bad, but it could very well feel like a loose wheel. You will usually notice what you are describing when going down a road that isn't quite smooth if it's a bad ball joint or wheel bearing. You have enough miles on your truck that either one or both could need replacing. Jack up one side and move the wheel from top to bottom in and out. You may need a helper to do this while you observe whether the looseness is coming from the ball joint or wheel bearing. Repeat on both sides. Could also be radius arm bushings. Hope this helps.

rickbrad 09-30-2011 10:36 PM

Well, I just finished my Red-Head Steering Gear/Power Steering Pump R&R, thanks very much to the OP! I bought my F350 used about 180 miles from home, and as soon as I got onto the interstate, I couldn't believe the +/- 20 deg on the steering wheel!

I will post some pictures of the install, as well as follow on info from further road tests, etc.

Seems like a new truck, steering wise. Only 10 miles or so on the truck, but it feels like the right solution.

KING 10-03-2011 06:39 PM

I just ordered a unit for my truck in hopes of bringing to an end of slop in my steering.

I will post results when I have it installed this weekend.

I did order a pitman arm from Ford just to be on the safe side if in case the old one needs replaced.

teamgreen 10-03-2011 10:04 PM

I dont think I have steering wheel "slop". When I turn the steering wheel the wheels react right away. The steering wheel doesnt return to centre when turning. I also noticed that it always needed to be corrected when driving on the highway, almost like it was being blown from side to side, hard to keep within the lines.

Tires are brand new, alignment with tires. Steering box or something else?

Truck is 2008 F350 Crew cab short box 4x4

Boris2000 10-03-2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by teamgreen (Post 10882172)
I dont think I have steering wheel "slop". When I turn the steering wheel the wheels react right away. The steering wheel doesnt return to centre when turning. I also noticed that it always needed to be corrected when driving on the highway, almost like it was being blown from side to side, hard to keep within the lines.

My wheels would also react right away, adjusting the steering gearbox seemed to just make it worse. Finally after reading up on the Red Head gearbox, I ordered one. Truck has never driven that well since I have owned it. I did the ball joints, shocks, shock stabilizer. That didn't help, but the new gear box did the trick!

teamgreen 10-03-2011 10:51 PM

rehead

how much did you pay for the redhead? I am in Canada so shipping will cost more plus the exchange rate. I am considering a rebuilt box but cant even find one in Canada for some reason

EXv10 10-04-2011 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by teamgreen (Post 10882172)

Something wrong there, I would check the toe in again.

teamgreen 10-04-2011 11:42 AM

Toe in was checked twice. Anyone have leads on a steering box in Canada? Cant find one anywhere

Monster-4 10-04-2011 04:15 PM

Did you check ball joints? Also have you checked the steering knuckles turn freely when disconnected from the tie rod?