Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   British Columbia (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum165/)
-   -   BC Chapter June All Topics/bs Thread All Welcome (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/855876-bc-chapter-june-all-topics-bs-thread-all-welcome.html)

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 11:55 AM

Yep, it was nice to have a distraction from work, I was getting a little frustrated:)

Zip 06-09-2009 12:28 PM

Morning all.

Gone camping.

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 12:31 PM

Enjoy the peace and quiet Chris. Looks like you are earning your slackmaster title:)

67nukeford 06-09-2009 01:31 PM

Heehee.....Chris's post is like a "gone fishin'" sign on the bait shop door!!

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 01:35 PM

His message reminds me of a tv comercial I saw last night. Its for tourism and showed signs such as "closed for repairs . . . to my soul in Hawiia"

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 97nukeford (Post 7591482)
Heehee.....Chris's post is like a "gone fishin'" sign on the bait shop door!!

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

That made me nearly hurl on my computer sreen in laughter.

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 01:45 PM

Remember Marty, don't drink milk infront of the computer:)

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by J_E_Summit (Post 7591200)
Yep, it was nice to have a distraction from work, I was getting a little frustrated:)

Not going well I take it....sorry to hear that Jason.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by J_E_Summit (Post 7591546)
Remember Marty, don't drink milk infront of the computer:)

Good tip....at least I was only drinking water at the time....Wow was that funny.

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7591550)
Not going well I take it....sorry to hear that Jason.

Just a pain in the ass drawing that won't cooperate.

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7591553)
Good tip....at least I was only drinking water at the time....Wow was that funny.

You almost had to buy another keyboard, and you wouldn't have been able to blame this one on the kids.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 01:52 PM

Hey J can you do up simple shop plans?

Or is that not your area?

I want plans done for a simple shop, 36 wide, by 48 long, 14 foot ceilings, on a foundation, concrete floor, 3 man doors, some windows, and 1 big shop door, all wired of course, but not plumbing at all.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 02:43 PM

sorry to have scared you all away....sigh

glruff 06-09-2009 02:51 PM

Afternoonie BC peeps are you packed yet?

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7591568)
Hey J can you do up simple shop plans?

Or is that not your area?

I want plans done for a simple shop, 36 wide, by 48 long, 14 foot ceilings, on a foundation, concrete floor, 3 man doors, some windows, and 1 big shop door, all wired of course, but not plumbing at all.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out trying to hook a client for some side work. Don't know if I will get any work out of it, but I got a free meal:)

Simple shop plans are well withen my abilities. What kind of time period are you looking for? I am week on electrical, as I have only done electrical design for school exercises. Best bet would be that I show locations of electrical fixtures and let you work with the electrician on details like service size and location.

Are you thinking of slab on grade, or 4' wringwall?

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by glruff (Post 7591724)
Afternoonie BC peeps are you packed yet?

Packed? Did I miss something?

glruff 06-09-2009 03:11 PM

For the cross country, continent trip to the All Truck Nationals in August:)

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 03:14 PM

Ah, I am starting to make lists of stuff to pack, but its for a extended work trip that will go through into the fall:-X16

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by J_E_Summit (Post 7591765)
Sorry for the delayed response, I was out trying to hook a client for some side work. Don't know if I will get any work out of it, but I got a free meal:)

Simple shop plans are well withen my abilities. What kind of time period are you looking for? I am week on electrical, as I have only done electrical design for school exercises. Best bet would be that I show locations of electrical fixtures and let you work with the electrician on details like service size and location.

Are you thinking of slab on grade, or 4' wringwall?

I am thinking footings, and 4 foot walls for frost, then the shop on that, basically like a house would be buit.

If you can show the breaker panel, lights,switches,outlets in both 110 and 220 that is really good enough.

no real rush on the plans, just when you might have a chance.

basically i want a shop to sit endways with a shop door slightly offset to the side, on the one end, and a man door on each end, and one side.
Basic windows, etc.
A 200 amp electrical service.
Floor above ground level of the outside by say a few inches, and some concrete out front to be sloped away, and act as a ramp so its not a drop off from the floor to ground....if that makes sense. A few small electric heaters are going in it, and a wood stove, that will be elevated off the floor for heat, but the height is to keep it above fume level, like they require in a shop.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by glruff (Post 7591785)
For the cross country, continent trip to the All Truck Nationals in August:)

Where are they at?

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7591840)
I am thinking footings, and 4 foot walls for frost, then the shop on that, basically like a house would be buit.

If you can show the breaker panel, lights,switches,outlets in both 110 and 220 that is really good enough.

no real rush on the plans, just when you might have a chance.

basically i want a shop to sit endways with a shop door slightly offset to the side, on the one end, and a man door on each end, and one side.
Basic windows, etc.
A 200 amp electrical service.
Floor above ground level of the outside by say a few inches, and some concrete out front to be sloped away, and act as a ramp so its not a drop off from the floor to ground....if that makes sense. A few small electric heaters are going in it, and a wood stove, that will be elevated off the floor for heat, but the height is to keep it above fume level, like they require in a shop.

Sounds pretty simple.

Send me an email with your ideas and I will start poking away at it in my spear time. Also, if you want, I can send some example drawings that I did a couple of years ago, it should give you an idea of what I am capable of when I put my mind to it:)

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by J_E_Summit (Post 7591938)
Sounds pretty simple.

Send me an email with your ideas and I will start poking away at it in my spear time. Also, if you want, I can send some example drawings that I did a couple of years ago, it should give you an idea of what I am capable of when I put my mind to it:)

Thats sounds great....Think i lost your email, so will PM you in about 30 seconds with mine.:)

bigrigfixer 06-09-2009 03:54 PM

Afternoon BC! Marty, Jason, how's it going?

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 03:56 PM

Things are good.

How bout yourself?

bigrigfixer 06-09-2009 04:02 PM

Not terribly bad.

Rant warning ahead

I've been working as a "handyman" of sorts at a retirement home. Not really to supplement my income, as it just wouldn't be possible. I do it more as a favour for my mother in law who works there.

So, I've made up some invoices for work I've done over the last couple weeks. Turns out they've been rejected for some "technicality". I've got to redo them in a more acceptable format.

It's not like they're paying me in gold bars, hell, it's only $20/hour. I should just redo them as "$20/hour for SERVICES RENDERED, net 7 days" and see how they like it.

Other than that, I'm just peachy.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigrigfixer (Post 7591966)
Afternoon BC! Marty, Jason, how's it going?

Going good Joe.

How are you?

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigrigfixer (Post 7591994)
Not terribly bad.

Rant warning ahead

I've been working as a "handyman" of sorts at a retirement home. Not really to supplement my income, as it just wouldn't be possible. I do it more as a favour for my mother in law who works there.

So, I've made up some invoices for work I've done over the last couple weeks. Turns out they've been rejected for some "technicality". I've got to redo them in a more acceptable format.

It's not like they're paying me in gold bars, hell, it's only $20/hour. I should just redo them as "$20/hour for SERVICES RENDERED, net 7 days" and see how they like it.

Other than that, I'm just peachy.

Sadly Joe our world seems to be going towards things like this....People are never happy with something totally fine, they always want more.

Rewrite them, and add a surcharge to each bill for "Paper work Fee" lol

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 04:20 PM

Give it to them this time, but charge them extra if they continue to be fussy in the future.

bigrigfixer 06-09-2009 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7592025)
Rewrite them, and add a surcharge to each bill for "Paper work Fee" lol

Yeah.

They want me to bill the residents separately for mundane things like changing a single light bulb. Or one today that I got, straighten out a throw rug. How do you charge a pensioner $20 to straighten a throw rug?

There's a bunch of complaints of burned out light bulbs. I can do that. But what do I change them with? They don't have regular incandescent light bulbs. Had to go to Home Depot today to get some. And some spackle for a wall that has a hole in it. Luckily I can submit my receipts and get reimbursed for it.

I should have just gone with my gut instincts and declined the job.

It's not the old people, it's the management. No communication.

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 04:28 PM

That sounds frustrating.

Good luck,

JE

Zip 06-09-2009 05:48 PM

:):):) camping :):):)

Yawn. Think it may be time for a little nappy.

Hope all the rest of you folks are having an enjoyable afternoon.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by bigrigfixer (Post 7592075)
Yeah.

They want me to bill the residents separately for mundane things like changing a single light bulb. Or one today that I got, straighten out a throw rug. How do you charge a pensioner $20 to straighten a throw rug?

There's a bunch of complaints of burned out light bulbs. I can do that. But what do I change them with? They don't have regular incandescent light bulbs. Had to go to Home Depot today to get some. And some spackle for a wall that has a hole in it. Luckily I can submit my receipts and get reimbursed for it.

I should have just gone with my gut instincts and declined the job.

It's not the old people, it's the management. No communication.

Maybe sit down with the bookeeper of the place and tell them you do NOT want to bill them $20 for a 2 minute job.
But also cannot write a million invoices needlessly, and they need to learn flexability, or you either will walk away and stop helping, or else bill the management for needless work of invoicing?

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 05:50 PM

My afternoon is going pretty good. The company I used to work for is trying to hire me back, I have a side job thanks to my contacts here at FTE, and I might have another side job designing a house for a local.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 7592395)
:):):) camping :):):)

Yawn. Think it may be time for a little nappy.

Hope all the rest of you folks are having an enjoyable afternoon.

Sure rub it in slacker.

Zip 06-09-2009 05:53 PM

Good for you Jason. Wish my contacts here would give me a side job. Designing a house would be kind of neet. If I did it it would have a humongus garage/shop small kitchen and big entertainment room.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by J_E_Summit (Post 7592403)
My afternoon is going pretty good. The company I used to work for is trying to hire me back, I have a side job thanks to my contacts here at FTE, and I might have another side job designing a house for a local.

Well that sounds great Jason.

Whom did you used to work for?
Same sort of thing you do now?

Zip 06-09-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7592412)
Sure rub it in slacker.

Hi Marty.

Gotta rub while I can.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 7592417)
Good for you Jason. Wish my contacts here would give me a side job. Designing a house would be kind of neet. If I did it it would have a humongus garage/shop small kitchen and big entertainment room.

Are you at the usual spot you camp at by the river?

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7592421)
Well that sounds great Jason.

Whom did you used to work for?
Same sort of thing you do now?

I used to work for McElhanney Consulting. They do mostly transportation stuff. Hwy design, bridging, contract admin, surveying, materials testing, Mine survicing/access. I started out as a survey organizer managing a team of 13 surveyors divided into 5 crews; we worked out of a fly camp north of Stewart. Then I transitioned into bridge design/drafting and materials testing.

Saleenguy 06-09-2009 06:14 PM

Thats really cool Jason, you are so young, and yet have already done so much.

Its a real compliment to you also that they want you back on their team.

J_E_Summit 06-09-2009 06:17 PM

:

Originally Posted by Saleenguy (Post 7592501)
Its a real compliment to you also that they want you back on their team.

I am a jack of all trades. master of none:)

I would be working for them, but there was alot of turmoil in the local office when I graduated from University and my contract was up, so I chose to go to a more stable company.

Sounds like you have done a few different things too.