Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   What transmission should I use (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/852808-what-transmission-should-i-use.html)

rmbullmac 05-21-2009 01:05 AM

What transmission should I use

What is the best transmission to put in the 2002 f250 powerstroke ?

Riffraff Diesel 05-21-2009 01:07 AM

If you mean a rebuilt or to have your rebuild either John Woods or BTS seems to be the consensus. I have talked to JW before and I am very impressed by him.

Izzy351 05-21-2009 06:51 AM

Welcome... It would help if we knew where you are located. I'm in TX, so mine will be a BTS. If you're out west, then JW is the way to go. I've heard good things about Suncoast down in the FL panhandle as well. There's also ATS, but I can't remember where they're located. CO maybe???

amthatiam 05-21-2009 08:05 AM

I have the suncoast w/triple disc converter am very happy with it. The first torque converter they sent with the trans failed after about 20,000 miles, sounded like rocks in a can shaken very hard at idle, they honored the warranty and sent a new one. 80,000 miles plus on it now and love it, firm shifts and very quiet. My only complaint is the wife of the owner who passed away, I bought the trans when they had a 3 year unlimited milage warranty, shortly there after they went to two year, when I had the trouble with the converter I found her to be very difficult to deal with. The people in their shop were great, very helpful and knowledgable. If I had to do it again I would go to BTS if for no other reason than all the good things I have read about his customer service and his warranty coverage. Hope this helps.
Dan

brandon_oma#692 05-21-2009 09:13 AM

anybody in the midwest? just preparing for the enevitable

kalsc 05-21-2009 09:38 AM

Amthatiam raises a good point. For me, having gone BTS but NOT having had to deal with any warranty issues yet, so far the customer service at BTS has been outstanding. Hardware is one thing which it seems BTS and JW build some pretty mean transmissions, but customer service will really fill in the holes when things go wrong. Not to mention, the warranty from BTS seems second to none!!!

Ponyboychris 05-21-2009 10:31 AM

ATS is in Colorado but there's been threads in the past complaining about their customer service due to warranty issues regarding modified trucks and their units. I rode in two ATS equipped trucks and they are OK but not great. Those two owners have ridden in my truck (BTS in it) and they were much more impressed with it. Plus they spent the same if not more for their units. I haven't had any reason to call BTS for warranty issues but they are super nice people and cannot imagine them leaving you high and dry if something goes wrong regardless on your mods or abuse.

Izzy351 05-21-2009 10:39 AM

Yeah, there seems to be a hole in the Mid-West/Northeast for a good 4R100 guy. Maybe someone in PA/OH will step up to fill the gap... :D

Tom S 05-22-2009 11:03 AM

BTS got my business but I also like John Wood.

Adam0331 05-22-2009 11:05 AM

I think East Coast Diesel here in PA can build a stout tranny.

aklim 05-22-2009 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 (Post 7525550)
anybody in the midwest? just preparing for the enevitable

Brians Truck Shop

lostmybeer 05-22-2009 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by kalsc (Post 7525622)
Amthatiam raises a good point. For me, having gone BTS but NOT having had to deal with any warranty issues yet, so far the customer service at BTS has been outstanding. Hardware is one thing which it seems BTS and JW build some pretty mean transmissions, but customer service will really fill in the holes when things go wrong. Not to mention, the warranty from BTS seems second to none!!!

My 1st BTS just arrived back to Brian today. Customer service is great. It is warranty work being done. Have had it for over a year now. Definately reinstalling a BTS again.

60RatRod 05-22-2009 05:32 PM

This little article helped me decide Ford Super Duty 4R100 Transmission - Four Wheeler Magazine and after talking to John personally over the phone I was confident Id get the right transmission for my needs. I put it in last week and I am very pleased to say the least.

Stewart_H 05-22-2009 05:36 PM

I'm in California, so it was a no brainer for me, I went with a John Wood tranny.

Stewart

That_Guy 05-22-2009 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Izzy351 (Post 7525064)
Welcome... It would help if we knew where you are located. I'm in TX, so mine will be a BTS. If you're out west, then JW is the way to go. I've heard good things about Suncoast down in the FL panhandle as well. There's also ATS, but I can't remember where they're located. CO maybe???

I called suncoast back when I needed a tranny, They were WAY more expensive than BTS. I stopped looking into them when I found out the price so I dont know anything else about them.

Originally Posted by Izzy351 (Post 7525819)
Yeah, there seems to be a hole in the Mid-West/Northeast for a good 4R100 guy. Maybe someone in PA/OH will step up to fill the gap... :D

There are a few in MD, but no big shops really. Just basically a few good guys at some dealerships from what Ive found. I got mine from a local shop in MD since I couldnt wait and BTS had a waiting list, and Ive been pretty happy with it.