Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Best overall performance upgrades 03 v10 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/852271-best-overall-performance-upgrades-03-v10.html)

Old Time RV'er 08-26-2009 06:46 PM

Great gears-great thread

I have a 2002 F250SD extended cab short box 2V V10 with 3.73 gears, stock tires. Like most I get 12 to 14 mpg (when lucky) on the hwy and 10 to 12 around town.
On the hwy, at 70mph I'm turning right at 2,000 rpm.
If I go to 4.30 gears. what it it going to do to my milage.
You guys that are running them, how many rpm are you at at 70mph -empty?
How many mph are you at when turning 2000 rpm?

I pull a big 5th wheel & a 16 ft boat and am running right at gross GVW.
I get 7 7.5 sometimes 8 mpg pulling at 60 to 63 mph.

I've been thinking strong about a Banks system...the whole works, but after following this, it looks like gears is the 1st way to go. but I don't want to drop to 4 mpg.

I appreciate whatever solid info you guys and give me.

USASteel 09-02-2009 07:56 PM

You will not drop 4 mpg. I tow a 5er with my V-10, 35 inch tires, and 4.56 gears. I lost 1 mpg empty on the highway, 14 -> 13 mpg, but my around town and towing mpg's both went up 1 mpg. Towing I went from 8 -> 9 mpg and around town I went from 9 ->10 mpg. Freeway RPM's @ 70 in OD are about 2500 RPM. You have nothing to lose, especially if your towing.

MuddyAxles II 09-14-2009 09:56 AM

Banks or 5-Star

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 7659426)
Steeper gears would help your truck with 35's as far as downshifting goes. 4.30s with 35s is pretty much the same as stock tires and 3.73s.

Is the Banks Tuner better than the 5-Star (I forget their brand)?

Or pretty much the same?

dkf 09-14-2009 10:08 AM

I never used a Banks labeled tuner. Seems to me Banks doesn't do much in there tunes and its bacially a canned tune. Much better off going with an SCT Xcal3 from 5Star. Better tuning and if you have any issues (like the dealer reflashing your computer and changing the strategy code) you actually have someone that will revise the tune and get you up and running again.

MuddyAxles II 09-14-2009 10:14 AM

So, 5-star tuner first, or Bank's performance package, minus the tuner?

Just trying to get a feel here. My dad's about ready to do somethung and I'd like to be able to suggest something to him, if he'll listen. You know how THAT is, right?

dkf 09-14-2009 05:40 PM

The main thing you want from Banks is the header/y-pipe assembly the cat-back, airbox mod or tuner you can take or leave. I went the more economical route and pieced my own system together. Doug Thorley headers/ypipe, K&N FIPK2, Flowmaster ForceII catback, Dynatech cat and an Xcal2 with 5Stars 87 performance tune. The Thorley headers would be the best headers out there if they were offered in stainless. Banks used to have a plug in preburned chip for the V10 now has a handheld flash tuner. I've had a lot of tunes in my truck already and so far the 5star 87performance tune (I run 87 fuel) is the best one. My dad has a diablosport for his V10 and I regret getting that tuner for him, its really starting to piss me off.(Tons of spark knock)

A lot of guys don't like the sound and drone of the Banks cat-back exhaust. If he wants it a little louder than stock with less drone an FM70BB2 would be a better choice.

Old Time RV'er 09-14-2009 08:59 PM

By the time you pieced your exhaust system together from 3 or 4 different places, how much $ did you have in it?

I run the flash tuner from 5 star too. have 3 tuned towing/economy/preformance.... for 87 octaine. love the towing tune, it really made a difference, I can really tell because I tow at max GVW, still getting used to the economey and will run 4 or 5 tanks of gas thru before I switch to the proformance for 4 or 5 tanks so I can then have a good compairson and see how they all do. Best investmate I've made so far, but gears then exhaust is next but I haven't decided which way to go.
Thinking Banks but they are proud of their stuff.... but it does have a reasonable warranty and I like the idea of it being stainless. but I'm open to looking as any good exhause

Ex03AK 09-14-2009 10:36 PM

MuddyAxles,
Based on my reading this forum for several months, I believe dkf has the right idea by going a la carte instead of the Power Pack. I tow at max GCVW and was also leaning toward the Power Pack, but too many have said it is too loud; some say obnoxious. However sound always boils down to personal preference. My X is a family vehicle so I was looking for something a little closer to stock.

I'm just getting started with my mods. I will be installing a Flowmaster 70 Big Block II with a 12" x 3.5" polished SS tip; hopefully this weekend. When I am able, my next step will be the torque tubes, followed by a Volant CAI, then a tuner from 5-Star Tuning. I have talked to Banks about the torque tubes. If you buy direct from them they will match any internet price you find and give you a lifetime warranty.

Old Time RV'er,
My setup $ is looking like around $1,950 + shipping. Shipping will be really high for me being in Alaska but such is life.

Regards,
Ex03AK

dkf 09-15-2009 08:25 AM

By the time you pieced your exhaust system together from 3 or 4 different places, how much $ did you have in it?
Headers/Ypipe with installation and shipping $1350
Cat $150
Force II catback $203 shipped
Clamps $30
Tip $40
2 - Magnaflow mandrel bends $50 shipped

The headers and y pipe are the main thing you want and they will bolt up to the stock system. You can just replace the stock muffler and retain the rest of the stock system.

Pinky Demon 09-15-2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MuddyAxles II (Post 7931941)
So, 5-star tuner first, or Bank's performance package, minus the tuner?

Just trying to get a feel here. My dad's about ready to do somethung and I'd like to be able to suggest something to him, if he'll listen. You know how THAT is, right?

Go with the Banks parts for sure, maybe minus the intake and tuner, and go with 5 star for the tuning. The thing I like about 5 star is that they custom build tunes for you, taking into consideration mods and stuff.

Stumpalump 09-16-2009 09:33 AM

Has anybody noticed any differnce from running just a cat back or is the headers and y-pipe the only thing that helps?

Pinky Demon 09-16-2009 09:39 PM

No, I totally don't get what you are trying to do here. Nobody is smarter than you and your giant IB intellect. I'm glad you pointed it out to me.

And actually, I guarantee this concerns me more than it does you, seeing as I ACTUALLY OWN a V10 and have experience modding it. FYI: The OP was looking for OWNERS' advice, so run along now. This thread does not concern you.

IB Tim 09-17-2009 07:26 AM

Sorry I will be here for a bit.....I also owned a V10

trialnterror 09-11-2011 09:17 PM

I have 250 sd V10 with banks power pack, mikes 5 star tuner, have a banks ottomind I like mikes tuner but on the higher tunes ,91 , 93 I get pretty bad pinging, I'm getting my truck out of the shop tues,I had 4.56 gears installed, I'll post in a couple days to tell u which upgrade is best!

mrad 09-16-2011 07:41 AM

I purchased a 5-star tune from Mike earlier this summer. We had just purchased a new travel trailer that was 6' longer and 3,500 lbs heavier than our previous TT. After installing the 87 tow tune, the difference was night and day, both a power and MPG's. With my previous TT I averaged 8.2 mpg and never hit 9mpg. With the tow tune I have been averaging at least 8.2 mpg (with 3,500 more pounds and more wind drag) and have seen as high as 9.2 mpg. I did one short trip before the tune. MPG's was under 7 but again, the total trip was less than 50 miles.

I also had Mike send me a Y-pipe but have yet to install it. I have heard from some that it will actually reduce MPG's. What's the feeling from those of you who have installed a less restrictive Y-pipe? Does it decrease MPG's? Is there a noticeable difference in power? My local shop said they could weld it on for $80.