Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Will the Expedition get the 6.2l motor? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/852231-will-the-expedition-get-the-6-2l-motor.html)

dockrocker 05-19-2009 08:45 AM

Will the Expedition get the 6.2l motor?

I may be in the market for a new Expedition EL in the next year (just as soon as my magic Obama-bucks arrive in the mail! :D ). I've not been following the forums too much, so I don't know the status of the on-again, off-again 6.2 motor. IMO, the 5.4 is a little shy in the hp department for a truck engine, so ideally I'd like to see if Ford is going to put the larger motor in their large SUV.

I did some searching in the forum but haven't seen anything definitive, thus this thread. I had my eyes set on a used Excursion, but if the EL were to get a decent engine that might be the way to go...

Thanks!

berry1234 05-19-2009 10:54 AM

Nope, not for the 2010.

Tylus 05-19-2009 04:29 PM

doubt it will ever...there is talk the Harley F-150 and Raptor F-150 will get a 6.2...but it seems to be on/off

sounds more likely the 6.2 will take over for the V-10 in the 3/4 & 1 tons

have you driven a new Expy (2007 + model)?

they are actually quite peppy. The new 6-speed does wonders for the vehicle

montecarlo31 05-19-2009 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 7519003)
doubt it will ever...there is talk the Harley F-150 and Raptor F-150 will get a 6.2...but it seems to be on/off

sounds more likely the 6.2 will take over for the V-10 in the 3/4 & 1 tons

have you driven a new Expy (2007 + model)?

they are actually quite peppy. The new 6-speed does wonders for the vehicle

They need to get the 6.2 or the 5.0 out there, these trucks really do need 400 hp. I bet you'd even see some increase in fuel economy as the engine is only work at a % of the load the 5.4 was. The expedition is the slowest Full size suv out there now that GM has added the hot rod 6.2 in their Tahoe and 6.0 in their suburbans. Ford needs a towing motor in these there is no doubt.

I don't call a neck and neck 1/4 mile race with a 4 CYL Toyota Venza a peppy vehicle. I call something running the 1/4 mile in the 15.5 range peppy. Heck, the Sequoia is knocking on the door of a high 14 sec 1/4 mile.

Tylus 05-20-2009 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by montecarlo31 (Post 7519508)
They need to get the 6.2 or the 5.0 out there, these trucks really do need 400 hp. I bet you'd even see some increase in fuel economy as the engine is only work at a % of the load the 5.4 was. The expedition is the slowest Full size suv out there now that GM has added the hot rod 6.2 in their Tahoe and 6.0 in their suburbans. Ford needs a towing motor in these there is no doubt.

the 5.4 has over 80% of it's torque available at 1,000 rpm...couple that with the close ratio 6 speed...it's a tow monster
especially with the 4.17 1st gear ratio...the only real negative aspect is the 3.31 rear gears. but luckily you can get 3.73 if you shop around
the 2007+ Expy has a higher GCWR & max trailer rating than a 1999-2002 F-250 with 5.4 engine

so it won't win a HP game...but it will do what you ask of it all day long.

btw, the 6.0 has been available in the Burban and the Tahoe since about 2006...maybe earlier. It's a great high HP motor...like the Dodge, they like to rev high to get their numbers...the 5.4 is a lower RPM motor

Originally Posted by montecarlo31 (Post 7519508)
I don't call a neck and neck 1/4 mile race with a 4 CYL Toyota Venza a peppy vehicle. I call something running the 1/4 mile in the 15.5 range peppy. Heck, the Sequoia is knocking on the door of a high 14 sec 1/4 mile.

um...yeah
you are comparing a 381 HP Sequoia with 4.30 rear gears against a 300 HP, 3.73 gear Ford

also, the Sequoia is smaller, and weighs about 1,000 lbs less...not exactly a good comparison

I had a 2006 F-150 Supercrew FX4 with the 5.4...my 2008 Expy is easily comparible with that truck (when it was stock) in the power and acceleration department

just today I had to accelerate from a stop to 55 mph traffic on the freeway...The Expy hunkered down and did it with no qualms
I can see some room for improvement because I like performance. I see a set of 4.30 gears + LSD in the very near future (October), and custom tuning... }>

but this ain't the Expy of yesteryear...it is a completely different beast

I was very reluctant to buy mine. I needed the space, but I was very hesitant about the performance aspect...now that I've put 850 miles on her, the PCM & Transmission controller have learned my driving styles...I am even more satisfied with it
For reference, I gave up my RoushCharged F-150 for the Expy...and that thing could haul some serious behind

gddyup 05-20-2009 09:28 AM

With the new "standards" that the current administration just announced which they intend to force down everyone's throats, I wouldn't count on anything like that anytime soon, if ever.

Obama Announces New Fuel Economy Standards - Auto - FOXNews.com

If this doesn't get sidetracked somehow, you might want to pick up one of these vehicles while they are still available. :confused:

berry1234 05-20-2009 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by gddyup (Post 7521490)
With the new "standards" that the current administration just announced which they intend to force down everyone's throats, I wouldn't count on anything like that anytime soon, if ever.

Obama Announces New Fuel Economy Standards - Auto - FOXNews.com

If this doesn't get sidetracked somehow, you might want to pick up one of these vehicles while they are still available. :confused:

Why not stockpile ammo and guns too.

nebmike 05-20-2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 7521689)

Isnt everybody doing that?!? :-innocent

Heck, thats why I bought my EL... more room for the guns and ammo! Though I will say, my 0-60 get-away time slows a bit once I mount my dual .50 cals and stow 10k rounds of ammo for them.

:-X01

poppie 05-20-2009 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker (Post 7517436)
I may be in the market for a new Expedition EL in the next year (just as soon as my magic Obama-bucks arrive in the mail! :D ). I've not been following the forums too much, so I don't know the status of the on-again, off-again 6.2 motor. IMO, the 5.4 is a little shy in the hp department for a truck engine, so ideally I'd like to see if Ford is going to put the larger motor in their large SUV.

I did some searching in the forum but haven't seen anything definitive, thus this thread. I had my eyes set on a used Excursion, but if the EL were to get a decent engine that might be the way to go...

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------NOT IF OBAMA CAN HELP IT,see 39.5 MPG story's, For the farmer's,contractor's,plumber's,electric contractor's,AC contractor's & RV'ER'S it's game over,the mouse truck's coming down the line just will not cut it hauling & towing big heavy load's.

carlos1212 05-20-2009 11:16 PM

Ford should put the 6.2 in their Navigators.
There is no reason to buy a navigator over an expedition.
back in 99-02 navigators had an advantage over expy's because they had a 4v 300 hp vs the expy's 2v 260hp.
Now its the same engine and tranny.

gddyup 05-21-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 7521689)

Right nebmike! I thought that was a given. Oo.

berry1234 05-21-2009 11:41 AM

And don't forget the bomb shelter!

ruschejj 05-21-2009 02:40 PM

Our Expedition has the 5.4 and the trailer tow package. When I hook up to our travel trailer (approx. 8000lbs.) I don't have any issues with going or stopping. I do have issues with the rear suspension and maxing out my weight distribution hitch. Wish I could put some aftermarket air bags under there. Also, I have issues with stability at speeds over 60MPH. Windy days are not fun.

The engine/trans. really can't maintain 70mph in overdrive on flat ground with light winds. It constantly shifts in/out of overdrive and the slightest hill tips it into a lower gear.

So, I don't have any use for greater take off speed or faster 1/4 mile times. I wish the rear end were better suited for towing. More often than not, I just use my F250. Not a fair fight between the two so I won't even reference what life is like with the trailer behind my truck. I just grin and bear it when we go to FL or the Carolina beaches with the Expedition. Anywhere else, the truck goes.

Our Expedition is an '08, short XLT, 5.4 w/heavy duty tow package but I think the dang rear end is a 3.13. Oh well, got it for $26,500

ruschejj 05-21-2009 02:42 PM

Oh yeah, the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm rides with me.

gddyup 05-21-2009 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 7526047)
And don't forget the bomb shelter!

I have an 07 EL Limited.... my bomb shelter is portable! :-fire

Rush, there should be a metal tag attached to one of the cover bolts on the rear-end housing. You can find the gear ratio typically right off of that by checking the serial numbers on it. Can probably get the number and find the gear ratio online somewhere I would imagine.... :)

Oh yeah, the M&P... nice pistolo!