Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Alternator?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/851343-alternator.html)

DemonRace6 05-16-2009 09:59 AM

Alternator??

I took a 630, about 10 hr drive from NJ to MI Wednesday night. It went great, very smooth with cruse control on 85 and even through the torrentail rain storm.

The bad,
Yesterday my battery light came on, the manual didn't say much and the batteries are only 8 months old, but the voltage gauge was good so I did not worry. Today though on the drive to the track the gauge droped to 8 volts. I have not tried to start it yet but I don't think it will. Auto zone has a refurbished altonator 110 W? In stock for $170.

Do you think this is the problem? What is the bigger alternator I have herd about? Thank you.

DemonRace6 05-16-2009 12:28 PM

Bump... Please help guys I do not want to be stuck 630 miles away from home :(

1996pwrstrk 05-16-2009 12:58 PM

I would pull the alt and have it checked I think your on the right track.

triskit16 05-16-2009 01:59 PM

Its most likely the alternator. Mine did the same and I replaced with a new one from auto zone and never came back on. Only reason I got a brand new one was because Ive heard a lot of problems with those remans going bad and having to keep on replace them.

gofast51004 05-16-2009 02:05 PM

Yep, same issue here....alternator...my top one was bad, and the lower one had a cracked case, so I replaced them both and never had another issue. (my batteries were also only 2 months old when this happened)

DemonRace6 05-16-2009 02:15 PM

Ok great, thanks guys. I'm heading over to a local place I was told about. Ill let u know how it goes soon.

DemonRace6 05-16-2009 03:05 PM

I got the new alternator in and I'm trying to jump my truck with a toyota yaris now...

DemonRace6 05-16-2009 05:27 PM

Perfect! I got a refurbished one for $130, it was all they had, how do I put two in? New belt?

big poppa 05-16-2009 11:35 PM

Are the batteries dead Joe, hope they didn't get damaged?? You only have a single alt. setup, Ben prolly got the dual alt. setup. A new belt is always nice since your gonna have the alt. off, peace of mind for you..

DemonRace6 05-19-2009 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by big poppa pump (Post 7510087)
Are the batteries dead Joe, hope they didn't get damaged?? You only have a single alt. setup, Ben prolly got the dual alt. setup. A new belt is always nice since your gonna have the alt. off, peace of mind for you..

The batteries seem to be fine, only 8 months old, so after the jump start with the new alternator in, everything seems to be good.

The 630 mile drive home was smooth sailing!

I was thinking I would need a new belt to go to the dual alternator set up. Has anyone done this? It looks to me like another alternator would just bolt on the bottom left (look from the front) and a different belt would tie it all together.:-huh

12ozd 05-19-2009 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by DemonRace6 (Post 7517784)
I was thinking I would need a new belt to go to the dual alternator set up. Has anyone done this? It looks to me like another alternator would just bolt on the bottom left (look from the front) and a different belt would tie it all together.:-huh

Belt and wiring.

Izzy351 05-19-2009 10:23 AM

Ya' shoulda just replaced it with one of these big ones. When mine goes next time, I'm putting in a 160A HD...
http://store.alternatorparts.com/199...okediesel.aspx

Visseroth 05-19-2009 12:29 PM

Dual alts???? oh hoook me uuuup!!! LOL More to break but if one fails then I can rely on the other until I get my replacement! Very nice. Where's the how to on this?
Also, battery light on means dead alt. 8v won't start your rig and keep an eye on your voltage. Keep a close eye on it as it'll stay above 14v if you have a battery that's damaged and indicating that it's not fully charged. This will wear out your new alternator.

I know, I've been down this road, it sucks, alt goes out, damages batteries. Alt changed but damaged batteries fries alt and now we're in a loop until they are all changed.

Just FYI.

superduty4x4 05-19-2009 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Visseroth (Post 7518305)
Dual alts???? oh hoook me uuuup!!! LOL More to break but if one fails then I can rely on the other until I get my replacement! Very nice. Where's the how to on this?
Also, battery light on means dead alt. 8v won't start your rig and keep an eye on your voltage. Keep a close eye on it as it'll stay above 14v if you have a battery that's damaged and indicating that it's not fully charged. This will wear out your new alternator.

I know, I've been down this road, it sucks, alt goes out, damages batteries. Alt changed but damaged batteries fries alt and now we're in a loop until they are all changed.

Just FYI.

The dual alt setup is standard on the "ambulance package" rigs. IMO, just get the big DB Electrical 200a high output and call it good if you want MO POWAH :D

Visseroth 05-19-2009 08:28 PM

lol, that was the plan but two 200amp alts would be really cool, man i could just about power my house and my neighbors with that:-missingt