Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Air conditioning for a 53, the good, the bad, the ugly?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/851057-air-conditioning-for-a-53-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly.html)

mechmagcn 05-15-2009 08:03 AM

Air conditioning for a 53, the good, the bad, the ugly??

OK, it's getting pretty hot and humid here in the south. I have been thinking about adding some cool air to the interior of the 53. There seems to be plenty of options when searching for units, but I want the opinions of the forum on units that you have used. Mid-Fifty sells 2 different brands, at a considerable difference in cost, so I am still looking. I know there is a fellow who sells A/C components at a lot of the larger shows, but I don't have his contact info.
So folks, post up your opinions and experiences on the different units out there. Whose to use, whose to run away from:eek:
I'm not too worried about the underhood components, I have sort of a unique setup there, so I already have that part covered.

havi 05-15-2009 08:33 AM

I suppose the MB has a AC compressor optioned? With that, I would suppose everything to make it run is there, too, and it's just a matter of ductwork inside the cab, and a bit of wiring. Pricing each individual component new is really pricey. I would think the only difficult part of that would be fitting the condenser in front of the radiator. As for ductwork, anything with a similar dash might work. Such as a Bronco II, Ranger, or 80's Jeep.

thepitshop 05-15-2009 09:46 AM

in a few weeks i`ll be heading to the bone yards to check an see if i can find a decent compact air cond system off a car or truck, i`ll post my findings!

jaye 05-15-2009 10:00 AM

I got a vintage air for my 55 but a friend of mine got one from an 88 CV along with the engine for his 56. If I'd been as versed as I'm now I would have gotten one from a salvage yard. The vintage air works but it doesn't blow hard enough for me in SC heat I have it on hi and I'm still sweating so I just roll down the window.

thepitshop 05-15-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jaye (Post 7504586)
I got a vintage air for my 55 but a friend of mine got one from an 88 CV along with the engine for his 56. If I'd been as versed as I'm now I would have gotten one from a salvage yard. The vintage air works but it doesn't blow hard enough for me in SC heat I have it on hi and I'm still sweating so I just roll down the window.

did he put the c.v unit into his truck yet?? i`d like to see pictures if he has, i`ve got my crown vic completely gutted and when i look at that big heater box i just can`t picture it fitting under the dash??

bobbytnm 05-15-2009 11:02 AM

I might be completely off the deep end here (again) but something jogs my memory. Wasn't there a discussion a while back (well, ok, it might have been several years) about the Chevy S-10 heater/ac boxes?

Bobby

CharlieLed 05-15-2009 11:05 AM

Here in SoCal the Vintage Air Gen 2 sure-fit system works great. Not sure how much the humidity in the South changes things though. A fellow club member put the larger VA unit in his 55 but the added capacity was not necessary. In my truck I am using the VA system but I am modifying it somewhat. I was not happy that the A/C system did not have an outside air feature, just recirculating, so now I am separating the blower from the evaporator housing and mounting it with a motor controlled "door" that will allow me to select outside air or recirculating cabin air. The blower appears to be rather small and I am sure there was some consideration/trade-off made between volume of air flow and space, so now I have the option to use any size blower that I like.

Jag Red 54 05-15-2009 11:23 AM

I opted for the Hot Rod Air to save money. So did my buddy in his 56. Neither unit cooled well enough. Just not enough blower power. I have heard that most people are very happy with the Vintage Air setup. Good luck, Jag

mechmagcn 05-15-2009 01:03 PM

The MB engine has mounts for a Delco R-4 compressor, so that's what I'll use there. I can source the condenser and drier locally and have the hoses made at my local parts store. the main part I'm asking about is the inside unit.
Mid-Fifty sells the Gen II VA unit as a Sure-fit kit, but the price is $595 plus shipping. With a new R-4 compressor, drier, condenser, and hoses, this will push the price of A/C well past $1K:eek: Oh Well:confused: I'm tired of sweating:rolleyes:
I'm leaning toward the VA Gen II from Mid-Fifty, has anyone used the lower plastic panel that comes with it? Any pics? Any installation tips? This will be a major investment into my truck and I want to get it right the first time:-banghead

mechmagcn 05-15-2009 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by havi (Post 7504335)
and it's just a matter of ductwork inside the cab, As for ductwork, anything with a similar dash might work. Such as a Bronco II, Ranger, or 80's Jeep.

Havi, the only problem that I see with OEM units is that the evaporator sits outside the firewall on just about everything that I've seen, I reall don't want that big box in the engine compartment.:-X18

thepitshop 05-15-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mechmagcn (Post 7505114)
Havi, the only problem that I see with OEM units is that the evaporator sits outside the firewall on just about everything that I've seen, I reall don't want that big box in the engine compartment.:-X18

how about on a compact front wheel drive car?? i`m sure i seen some with a small compact a/c heater box that did not protrude in the engine bay?? i`ll be going to the wreckers next weekend to try and find something decent, i`m sure there`s gotta be something out there?

fergusonicford 05-15-2009 02:59 PM

Even the very best ac unit will not cool enough without sufficient + insulation throughout the entire cab.

Brian_B 05-15-2009 03:42 PM

I am going to follow this thead Jeff. Mine is a stocker, but AC would be nice somewhere down the line.

cmoritz 05-15-2009 03:51 PM

I'm using the GenII, it's a tight fit under the pass side dash, ends up almost flush with the dash in the cab, and almost hits the trans /engine indentation on the firewall.The hangers provided are marginal,one hangs off the cowl vent opening ( kinda crazy ), the other..I dont know , I threw them both in a pile and made my own.
Haven't got it running yet so I don't/can't comment on performance.Good Luck!

tacson 05-15-2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mechmagcn (Post 7504263)
OK, it's getting pretty hot and humid here in the south. I have been thinking about adding some cool air to the interior of the 53. There seems to be plenty of options when searching for units, but I want the opinions of the forum on units that you have used. Mid-Fifty sells 2 different brands, at a considerable difference in cost, so I am still looking. I know there is a fellow who sells A/C components at a lot of the larger shows, but I don't have his contact info.
So folks, post up your opinions and experiences on the different units out there. Whose to use, whose to run away from:eek:
I'm not too worried about the underhood components, I have sort of a unique setup there, so I already have that part covered.

This is Mike Brown at Rainbow Products. Rainbow Products: Home Page

He is a good guy. If I had it to do over I would go with an underdash ac unit and leave the stock heater/defrost. I haven't seen a indash style that will outcool a underdash ac for pure volume thru out the cab. That is not to say they dont exist I just havent experienced it.

Here is another company that from what i have experienced in talking to them are straight forward and sell a good product.

Evaporators – Indash, Underdash, Floor and Roof mount evaporators

I like this unit.
UD-110 Under-Dash A/C Only Evaporator Unit - Underdash Evaporator Units

AT 10 inches deep it would still not be out to the lip of the dash on a 53. If I swap out my unit. I am thinking about this one. Mike At Rainbow has the similiar systems. Like Brian B I will keep an eye for this post. KEEP US UPDATED on what you do. Thanks