Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   Which has more torque (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/849507-which-has-more-torque.html)

Eddiestruck 05-10-2009 03:47 AM

Which has more torque

I think I am gonna build an engine for my 350 but was wondering which engine would be the higher torque beast.I want a truck that will tow "ANYTHING" has a c6 tran with 460 on it now would i be able to budget build anything stonger: 370 429?

jarrodfeldt 05-10-2009 04:38 AM

I have a 70 bronco that I have been looking to do an engine swap with. right now it has a 351w. I have been reading up on desil swaps. If you want torque there is no touching a desil, and as far as after marcket goes, doubleing its already impressive numbers is as sipple as plug and play. A freind of mine put a cummins in a 55 cevy. The truck is amaseing. he had to upgrade the axles but its a nice truck now. He did all this before I met him but he has told me that he got the engine and 5 speed tranny from a doner bus and then hooked the transfercase to that. The inline 6 is longer than the V8 that came out of the truck so some mods were needed. Bronco driver magazine did a hole issue of desil bronco's in it there was 4 cyld cummins on up to a 7.3 powerstroke. The older moters require less wirieing but the new moters have more up grades.

Eddiestruck 05-10-2009 04:46 AM

Diesel = greek to me want to keep the truck simple to work on for me.
So I will have to stay with the gasser.

jarrodfeldt 05-10-2009 05:12 AM

I am not trying to sell you on any idea I just would like for you to conceder your options. For serious low end grunt there is no quistion where the most will come from. And for simplicity of that there is none better than a cummins 6bt motor. In the early 80's fleets that had gas motors started to repower there fleet with cummins repower kits. These kits were set up to drop in with no modifications to the rest of the drive trians. So if you want to keep your curent trany you could by a motor that is curently in one of these vans and bolted to a ford trany and it would be a simple swap in a truck that has plenty of room for it. I was looking at doiing this with my bronco and there is no room for the 351w that is in it now.lol AS far as hooking the computer to one of these, well they dont have one so that would be an eassy step. But pulling one out of the right doner vehickle and putting it in would be easy and just wrench turning for the most part.

Eddiestruck 05-10-2009 05:47 AM

I am not entirely against the diesel but am pretty much clueless when it comes to working on em but i might shop around here to see what diesels are available.

DirtStripHero 05-10-2009 07:30 PM

Other than a diesel, nothing will touch a 460. Except for maybe a 534, but there is no way you would want that. The 460 and 429 are the same engine with just a different stroke. You can budget build a 460 to make some great torque numbers. Since you already have the 460, I would just build it.

Port the heads
Bigger cam
Free up the exhaust
And you will be amazed at the difference over stock.

Bear 45/70 05-11-2009 02:09 AM

When it comes to gasoline engines the only thing that counts when it comes to torque is the old saying,

"There is no replacement for displacement!"

That said, a diesel will out torque a gas motor without even trying.

jarrodfeldt 05-11-2009 07:46 AM

It dont take a large engine with all kinds of pawer to tow. Any engines can move alot of wait its just how fast you want to move it is where the more power comes into play. So you if you want to toe anything put realy low gears in your truck.

C-Leigh Racing 05-11-2009 08:42 AM

Got a motorhome with a 460 & hardly been anything done to the engine to realy brag about & its pulling close to 24,000 down the road. Heads worked with lite porting & stellite seats & a good size cam all its got.

You build up an engine to pull a lot of weight, those heads are you main thing to work on so they will survive the high heat.

I'm building up a new replacement engine for the ol girl & heads will have over sized chrome stemed Inconal valves & carbide seats.
Neil

DirtStripHero 05-11-2009 09:02 PM

Its true that you don't need a big engine to pull a lot of weight. Gearing is very important. However, I would prefer not to pull my 16,000lb horse trailer across the country in granny gear.

Since he already has the 460, I was just trying to keep it simple. Plus he said he was on a budget, and its one of the cheapest ford motors to build.

Bear 45/70 05-11-2009 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by DirtStripHero (Post 7491070)
Its true that you don't need a big engine to pull a lot of weight. Gearing is very important. However, I would prefer not to pull my 16,000lb horse trailer across the country in granny gear.

Since he already has the 460, I was just trying to keep it simple. Plus he said he was on a budget, and its one of the cheapest ford motors to build.

I agree and also the factor many that advocate the smaller engine is that the little motor running hard at WOT will get worse fuel economy and wear out sooner than a big engine not working all the hard at part throttle.

460swmo 05-12-2009 07:14 PM

Why not go with a longer stroke crankshaft like 4.30 inch which I think equals 514 cid with stock bore? That should tow anything.

jarrodfeldt 05-14-2009 06:18 AM

As far as the smaller moter thing goes, I belive in "p" for plenty and more is never enough. I was just stateing that low gears in the rear end will move the load, to get it going higher speeds you will need more engine. I use that F250 in my profile to pull a 4,000 pound bronco on a 1,200. I can run throuhg the mountians at 90 in overdrive. cars pull into the truckers lane, while I excede the speed limmit. I know what over kill is about.

The "Mad Porter" 05-14-2009 03:13 PM

With in your stated list of displacements the 460 will be the winner by virtue of displacement.

Inch for inch a diesel will always out torque a gasoline engine because of static c/r and thermodynamic efficiency. Gasoline c/r for towing 8 or 9 to 1. Diesel c/r 15 to 20 to one. Then add boost. Its no contest !!!

What year is your F350?
Carb or EFI?

Answer the above and I can offer suggestions to increase pulling power. There are a multitude of ways to increase the poor towing capacity of a factory trim 460. You would be surprised at the difference. What it boils down to is budget.

:D

Eddiestruck 05-14-2009 10:30 PM

1985 f-350 with a 650 cfm holley
I say 1985 but I do see a E9(as in 1989) intake and did remove a 1980 alt bracket