Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Exterior Sun Visor.......Opinions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/848267-exterior-sun-visor-opinions.html)

julie 54 05-07-2009 03:09 PM

Kusto I think it looks AWESOME!! Im trying to find one for my 54 effie but no luck yet. Julie:-X25

mostly52f1 05-07-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by julie 54 (Post 7476276)
Kusto I think it looks AWESOME!! Im trying to find one for my 54 effie but no luck yet. Julie:-X25

look up fulton exterior sun visor on ebay, thers alot there. may require slight modification tho :)

Julies Cool F1 05-08-2009 12:30 AM

WOW, we have TWO JULIES! Could be trouble.

mostly52f1 05-08-2009 08:17 AM

i noticed that... wierd.....:)

Julies Cool F1 05-08-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mostly52f1 (Post 7479076)
i noticed that... wierd.....:)

That there's two, or are insinuating that WE are weird?:-missingt

Looks like Julie 54 has been around a lot longer, just doesn't post very often.

Anyway, HI JULIE!!!!!

mostly52f1 05-08-2009 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 7479664)
That there's two, or are insinuating that WE are weird?:-missingt

Looks like Julie 54 has been around a lot longer, just doesn't post very often.

Anyway, HI JULIE!!!!!

everyone is weird in there own way, just some know how to hide it better than others lol. Your doin a great job :)

Kusto 05-12-2009 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 7474277)
Ya, it's all good. There's only gonna be one spot it will fit that YOU like it and you will know it when you see it.

Post some more pics when you get it where you want it!

Also, I'm going to be interested in how you configure your center bracket. Pics of mine are in the "Visor" gallery I just set up.

Julie, I have an idea as to what I will be doing for a center bracket but have not gotten around to building it yet (will post pictures when I get it done). Here are some more photos of the final position of the visor. Currently held in place using cleekos in the holes drilled for rivets.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...1113_75900.jpghttp://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3951314_n.jpg

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 7475182)
Hey Kusto!

Just out of curiosity, how are you goung to mount your sides to the roof? Do you have brackets that aren't in the picture, or are you just going to rivet it on?

I will be using rivets on the sides and will be mounting the center support to the cab using riv-nuts.

Originally Posted by julie 54 (Post 7476276)

Thanks for the complement, I found mine on ebay and it was originally for a 1952 car but can't remember what. Most 2 piece visors will work and most, if not all, will require modification.

:-jammin

Kusto 05-12-2009 11:55 PM

Two Julies.....that is odd......and if the second Julie is anything like the first........lol

Julies Cool F1 05-13-2009 01:52 AM

Yeah, but SHE was first, actually!

I know, I'm a pill huh?

Hey I like the final position - looks REALLYgreat - it looks like you have it in the same place, just lifted the front up an inch or so.

That is a REALLY nice visor - nice and flat across the front to match the windshield. Mine is like that too but it's off a 42 Plymouth - a Fulton Deluxe. The 49-51 Ford Fultons were too pointy in the front - chevron shaped.

I'm not sure what kind of set up your visor has to hold the center bracket, but if you look in my "Visor" gallery, I have some pictures of mine during construction and installed - might give you some ideas or save some time.

PS Also, I'd not use aluminum rivets to anchor. These guys are VERY aerodynamic and do vibrate a little. There's lots of horror stories about them ripping off going down the road! Just a thought.

Hey Julie, Julie here! If you have trouble finding a visor on e-bay (where they are usually quite a bit cheaper), Number Dummy Bill has a friend who sells them and he could probably hook you up with him!

Kusto 05-13-2009 09:24 PM

Julie, I will be using steel rivets, not aluminum, so I have no worries there. As mentioned previously, I will be using rivnuts for the center attachment and planning on using four bolts (two each side of center mount) to attach the visor. The ends will be anchored with three 1/8th inch steel rivets.

havi 05-13-2009 10:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Late to join the party, but I like visors! I was looking at one today on a '49 Kaiser parked up the road from me (yeah the wife will frown if I drag home more cars). Here's a different style (MT54)

Julies Cool F1 05-13-2009 11:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah that's a great visor on the Kaiser! Isn't it funny how all the steel is "patinaed" and the aluminum visor is still shiny and new looking?

I think that the Fulton Standard Visor that was used in the late 40s and early 50s. It has the "grasshopper leg" side brackets and is pointed in the front (chevron shaped) those are pretty easy to come by. It's the ones that are flat across the front like Kusto's that are hard to find - and even then on our trucks you need to cut about 3 inches off each panel to get them to fit.

Here's one of the early pictures I saved when I was planning my 51. This is when I fell in love with Visors. It looks very similar to Kusto's but a little more narrow I think - VERY nice. I hope my truck looks that beautiful when it grows up!

Attachment 15223

But also......:-offtopic

What do you guys think of rear wheel skirts? Does it look Tooooo Chevrolet?

Attachment 15224

:-hijacked

mostly52f1 05-14-2009 12:02 AM

julie... i hate em. are you thinking of skirts? :eek:

Julies Cool F1 05-14-2009 12:23 AM

Well I've got so much other "trash" for my truck (all of which is easily removeable and there is a stock replacement) I was thinking about it. I'm still not sure I like the 47 Ford Car hood ornament I put on the nose of my truck.

Skirts? An everyday thing with me - the heels too.

mostly52f1 05-14-2009 12:30 AM

oh wow, i didnt know you had that, i just went and seen it in your gal. that one looks real good. i'm kinda jealous.