Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   2008 Escape rumbling rattle-Help! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/847393-2008-escape-rumbling-rattle-help.html)

Rivercityman 05-03-2009 12:54 AM

2008 Escape rumbling rattle-Help!

I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid. It just crossed 10,000 miles. I love the truck, but it's developed an irritating issue. Whenever I go over uneven bumpy pavement at slow speeds (10 to 15 MPH), there is a rumbling rattle that you hear and also feel in the steering wheel. Something is definately bouncing up and hitting something else. It's kind of a drumming rattling noise. It seems to come from the drivers front wheel or steering column area. The dealer just shrugs and I get the ususal (cannot duplicate customer concern). They claim that everything is tight on the front suspension. I've also noticed when I drive at slow speeds and turn the steering wheel from side to side that its' starting to creak. I also noticed that when I got in the car today, and put my weight in the car, I heard a creaking noise from the front end. I'm exasperated with this. It did not do it when it was new and has been babied. My guesses are struts; motor mounts; bushings somewhere? What can I tell the service department to check because they obviously don't have time for this?

Thanks.

sfcwoodret 05-03-2009 09:22 AM

Have the dealer mechanic(s) take it for a test ride in order for them to verify what you have found. It will give them a place to start looking.

frustratedford 05-25-2011 03:25 PM

Rivercityman - 2008 Escape rumbling rattle-help

Hi: I'm experiencing the same problem as you have described. The local dealership has tried various things without them fixing the problem. I was hoping you have found the solutiion, since you last blogged.
thanks

Rivercityman 05-25-2011 10:58 PM

Hi Frustrated

Funny that you ask now. I've been having this problem for 3 years. I probably have taken it into the dealer for this issue about 6 or 7 times. Each time, they say they hear it, and they try this or that, but still, same thing. I've searched high and low on the internet for similar problems. I've had them check the sway bar links, the struts, all the connnections underneath and it always checks out ok. Luckily, this week, the noise has progressed. Im taking it back in on Saturday. What it is (now I know for sure) is a heavy loud rattling in the steering column. It's so loud now that I know it's not the suspension and it's contained in the column somewhere. It's a metallic clackity clack when you go over bumps. Nobody will be able to pretend that they don't hear it now. Finally, I have hope that this will be fixed. It's been a long 3 years. I'll update you when I know exactly what it is, maybe this is the same for you. What have you tried and for how long?

Rivercityman 05-25-2011 11:01 PM

Creaking

I just re-read my post from 2 years ago. The creaking noise was finally fixed when they lubed up the struts from the top end where they bolt into the car. I don't know how long it will last, but for now, that problem is gone. Funny thing is I really do like this vehicle. It's been perfect in all other aspects.

tombob 07-17-2011 09:26 PM

Did they lube the struts from underneath or on top--in the engine compartment? I have this same problem on my '01.

Edward Poe 07-22-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rivercityman (Post 7457549)
I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid. It just crossed 10,000 miles. I love the truck, but it's developed an irritating issue. Whenever I go over uneven bumpy pavement at slow speeds (10 to 15 MPH), there is a rumbling rattle that you hear and also feel in the steering wheel. Something is definately bouncing up and hitting something else. It's kind of a drumming rattling noise. It seems to come from the drivers front wheel or steering column area. The dealer just shrugs and I get the ususal (cannot duplicate customer concern). They claim that everything is tight on the front suspension. I've also noticed when I drive at slow speeds and turn the steering wheel from side to side that its' starting to creak. I also noticed that when I got in the car today, and put my weight in the car, I heard a creaking noise from the front end. I'm exasperated with this. It did not do it when it was new and has been babied. My guesses are struts; motor mounts; bushings somewhere? What can I tell the service department to check because they obviously don't have time for this?

Thanks.

The rattling problem you have mentioned above looks like a faulty suspension, the signs given here sound so. and about the creaking noise must be due to power steering fluid or the pump.

Rivercityman 07-25-2011 11:37 PM

Sorry its take me so long to respond. To answer the first question, they lubed them from the top down. It's working so far. I hope it lasts. At least the side to side creaking is gone (for now). Now for the rumbling rattle. I had a metallic rattle develop and it was really loud. They found out it was the optional security system I had installed when I bought the truck. Apparently, it's mounted behind the dash or on the steering column. They said they tightened it and most of the noise went away, but unfortunately, the original rattle is still there. Still comes up from the steering column. After 4 years I guess it will have to remain there.

dgrinnan 09-23-2011 08:06 AM

I had the same issue on a 2002 Escape and fought with it for a year before finding the fix in the following forum. 2005 Mariner front end rattle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

Good pictures and description of the issue. In case you can't access the forum, it is the stabailizer links (some people call them sway links). It is hard to tell anything is wrong with them but I replaced them and problem solved. They are a cheap fix. You are not out much if you have another issue. They are about $14 each (one each side) at Auto Zone for Moog replacements. Remove the front wheel and they are very easy to access. I had to cut off the bolts with a recipocating saw. The new one went on in about 10 minutes.

gohome 09-25-2011 06:05 AM

dgrinnan i had the same problem i changed both stabilizer links and no more noise thanks for your info.

cardiacjohn 04-07-2012 12:19 PM

Try all suggestions still need help

Hey fellows,
has anyone figured out the rattle in steering wheel besides stabilizer links? changed them and whole front strut assemblies but still have rattle in steering column. Can't figure out what it is.

mprice1962 05-29-2012 02:20 PM

I have had that rattling/clattering for a couple months; on interstate at approx. 75MPH, coming in my (gravel) driveway (15-20 MPH). It seems to transfer through the steering column. I changed the sway bar links this morning, and that did not help my situation. I raised the hood and had a friend slightly turn the steering wheel back and forth.... And there it was! The universal joint in the steering column, between the firewall and the rack and pinion is bad. I mean REAL bad. It is very loose. I called Autozone, and of course it is a dealer only part. Thursday mine will be here, for about $67.00. You have to drop the rack to get the old one off and the new one on.

cardiacjohn 05-29-2012 04:08 PM

Rattle in steering

I had mine changed also and it did fix the rattle in steering. Also it fixed some vibration in steering wheel. however I still have vibration in steering wheel just not the annoying rattle. New tires,struts,sway bar links, and steering knuckle and still have annoying vibration and clunking up front. just not steering wheel

flnycus 05-30-2012 10:05 AM

i no longer have my 2008 ford escape because of too many issues like this. Ill try and be helpful. Take it to the dealer to fix. record dates, keep all the paperwork and info on what they did to try and fix it. If you take it @ least 3 times contact a lemon law lawyer who will take ford to court for free. Ford will settle out of court and you will get monies in return for a crappy product. I did that and ford effectively paid off my loan. I lived with my rattle then traded it for an acura. zero problems in 12 months compared to my 08 escape which had, peeling paint, transmission blew up, mirrors stopped working to name but a few. I too loved the truck but it was a love hate relationship. Good luck all !

stevem7777777 04-14-2013 11:25 PM

Rattle in steering column

Well I just bought a 2007 Escape Hybrid and after having the sway bar links replaced......still hear the steering column rattle driving slow over uneven surfaces. Took it to the dealer.......they they replaced something that had no effect. Took it back to the dealer again and they tighten every thing they could put a wrench and basically gave up....... and I still have the rattle. Could it be the U-joints?
Very frustrating........I can't live with this noise.......I live where there are a lot of bumpy streets.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!