Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   Tranny Diagrams (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/84587-tranny-diagrams.html)

rdahl 10-16-2002 12:14 PM

Tranny Diagrams

Is there an online resource where i can get an exploded view of my tranny's internals? I have a 2000 F-150 2wd with the 4R70W tranny and found a part in the bottom of the pan i would like to know where it came from.

My tranny wasn't shiffting into third so i dropped the pan and found this plastic cylindrical cone piece with and O ring around it sitting at the bottom of the pan. I must have spent an hour trying to find where it came from then dicided to put it back together without the piece and take it to the shop tomorrow. Well it works fine now, the only thing i can think of is that this piece was stuck in the intake and keeping enough fluid from being sucked into the system? But what does this plastic part do????

greymule 10-16-2002 03:30 PM

Tranny Diagrams

Sounds like a shipping/packing plug. It's installed in the filler tube until the trans is filled, when it's "poked" down into the pan & the dipstick is installed.

rdahl 10-16-2002 03:48 PM

Tranny Diagrams

So i'm assuming that my tranny problem unless fixed by changing the fluid still exists.

You would think that Ford would have a better procedure than to just push the filler plug into the tranny.

Mark Kovalsky 10-17-2002 10:07 AM

Tranny Diagrams

Why? That procedure has been working for 20 years that I know of. The only problem seems to be people that have never seen one think they have a problem.

greymule 10-17-2002 11:00 AM

Tranny Diagrams

I'm wondering if this was the procedure in select models only over the last 20 yr. It's been too long since my first C6 & AOD fluid & filter change for me to remember. I do remember the trip to the Trans shop the day of my first filter change in the electronic STANG in '94!!

rdahl 10-17-2002 12:16 PM

Tranny Diagrams

If it ain't broke then don't fix it? Just because it's been the way for 20 year doesnt make it the best way.
I'm just assuming that the original production method taught was to pull the plug out, hence the long tab on the backside "perfect for pulling on", but the easier way is to just push it in. Now let me ask you this...who do you want building your truck, someone doing it the easiest way or somone who will do it the right way???

Mark Kovalsky 10-17-2002 09:49 PM

Tranny Diagrams

The process has been to push it in for a long, long time.

What harm can that plug do in the pan? Other than scaring newbies the first time they drop the pan! :-X10

FortyFords 10-18-2002 08:02 AM

Tranny Diagrams

Yup Mark it scared the ##### out me back in 80 when I did my first
tranny fluid change on my motorhome.

Rich

MustangGT221 10-18-2002 11:16 AM

Tranny Diagrams

sixgunner 12-01-2008 04:07 PM

So....
Does anyone know where I can find any schematic,diagram,exploded views of this tranny?

stuart1 12-01-2008 06:29 PM

Right here!

Transtar Industries, Inc. - Catalogs

sixgunner 12-01-2008 09:15 PM

Thank you very much!