Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   How to replace ignition switch (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/844657-how-to-replace-ignition-switch.html)

ligito 04-23-2009 08:05 PM

How to replace ignition switch

'83 F-150 4.9L 6 AOD

When I start the vehicle the lock doesn't always return to the position where the turnsignals etc. are on, I have to turn it back a little to get them to work.

The other day, I was turning a corner and the engine died, I quickly restarted it, as the power steering had failed, midway through the turn.

I thought it was an ignition switch problem, my locksmith says they are not connected.
Older vehicles had a lock that was removable from the switch and sometimes, either the switch, or the lock would wear out and need replacing.

What do I need to replace and how?

uncle.stosh 04-23-2009 08:18 PM

The lock cylinder actuates a rod that works the ignition switch down on top of the steering column next to the firewall.

It sounds to me like it may be out of adjustment or needs to be replaced. If you loosen two nuts on the switch, you can slide the switch forward and aft on the column.

I'm sure there is a certified method to set it, but what I usually do is hold the key in the crank position and slide the switch all the way back towards the steering wheel at the same time. Hold the switch in place let the key go and tighten it back up. You should be able to feel when the spring bottoms out. That should ensure the cylinder returns to the run position after cranking.

Just make sure you disconnect the battery cable first so it does not try and start.

propflux01 04-23-2009 09:02 PM

Mine acted the same way, and after dropping the column, and removing the switch, I cleaned it out with contact cleaner, lubed with dielectric grease, and then lubed the actual key cylinder, and my problem was solved. Perhaps that may help you as well.

Franklin2 04-23-2009 10:18 PM

A new switch will come with a alignment pin installed. Leave the pin in the switch, hook the rod in the switch and tighten it down. Then just pull the pin. This is all with the keyswitch in the off position.

ligito 04-24-2009 10:24 AM

Which does it sound like is worn, the switch, or lock?

uncle.stosh 04-24-2009 11:03 AM

Did you try adjusting it first?

Hometown Pride 04-24-2009 04:06 PM

I have to turn mine back a bit after I start the truck so that the turn indicators work. Does wear in the ignition have anything to do with the auto gear shift being so loose? I dont even got to pull back on mine to shift.

NumberDummy 04-24-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hometown Pride (Post 7425023)
Does wear in the ignition have anything to do with the auto gear shift being so loose?
NO! I dont even got to pull back on mine to shift.

There is a half moon shaped detent aka shift gate bolted onto the bottom of the upper flange.

The shift lever has a tab on it that fits in between the individual gates.

The gate between Park and Reverse has snapped off.

This is dangerous...as when this occurs....the lever can slip from Park to Reverse on its own.

\ P I R I N I D1 I D2 I L /

People make the mistake of putting the lever into Park FIRST, before setting the hand brake when the truck is parked on an incline.

When this occurs, the truck will roll...just enough....that the parking pawl inside the trans locks up tight.

Now...the lever has to be YANKED out of Park...and sooner or later that individual gate snaps off.

Hometown Pride 04-24-2009 04:28 PM

Can I get to this by taking the plastic off the steering colum?

JimsRebel 04-24-2009 08:59 PM

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...4/MVC-845F.jpg

Here is a photo of the switch.

I got the whole tilt column for $18 at the yard, it had a key with it.
Jim

ctubutis 04-24-2009 09:51 PM

This is TOO funny!!!

Some guy asking if he can get at the ignition switch by removing a plastic shroud, followed
by a pic of a steering column on the garage floor! :eek: So, I guess it follows that the
answer is yes, he'll have to remove the plastic shroud. :-hair

-chris

ligito 04-25-2009 12:25 AM

Gotta keep the smile muscles working.:-X0A6

Franklin2 04-25-2009 10:51 PM

Take the u-bracket loose that holds the column to the bottom of the dash, and let the column drop down. Then you can get to it.

ligito 05-01-2009 12:23 AM

Ignition Switch Part Deux

I was going down the freeway oday and the engine died.
I pulled into the right lane and put it in neutral and tried to restart it.
No luck, I pulled into the emergency land, with my flashers on.
I called AAA.
Incident response came by and put out some flares behind me.
AAA arrived and towed me home, in less than 10 minutes (a first for me).

I ordered an ignition switch from a Ford truck dealer and they called me an hour later, saying the switch was in.

I was able to start the truck again to put it in the driveway.
It ran pretty rough but that may have been from excess fuel, from trying to start it several times.

I'll put the new switch in tomorrow and see if that was the problem.

ligito 05-01-2009 08:08 AM

Bump .