Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   truck starts itself *** (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/844610-truck-starts-itself.html)

tyson555 04-23-2009 05:30 PM

truck starts itself ***

i have a 97 f150 that as soon as i hook up the battery the truck tries to start itself what would cause this

Mawk 04-23-2009 06:43 PM

Faulty starter wiring would be the first place to look. R&R if need-be or just do a thorough check of all wiring. If nothing is apparent, move to the ignition.

Does the truck start and run? If so, does the starter continue to cycle as you're driving?

KingRanchMan02 04-24-2009 08:54 AM

Bad starter relay possibly. To troubleshoot, there is a tan/red wire that supplies the start signal from the key switch/DTR switch. When the key is turned to start, this wire is hot. Any other time it would not be hot. Pull this wire off of the starter relay with the battery hooked up. If the starter stops with this wire disconnected, then the relay is good and there is some problem with the tan/red wire. If the starter still runs with this wire disconnected, the relay is bad. Good luck! :-wink

cmorningstar01 04-24-2009 02:32 PM

This will happen if the 2 wires have been switched on the solenoid, Did you by chance accidently switch the wires around while working under the hood?

tyson555 04-26-2009 08:52 AM

97 f150

if i start the truck with the key it will keep trying to start it , but if i put it in drive it stops also when its tring to start the truck it doesnt actually start it just turns over

fast68 04-26-2009 07:54 PM

well it wont crank it its not in park or neutral

so the safety switch si working

but this is nothing to do with the problem

bad solenoid or bad ign switch still

97150jdub 10-30-2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by tyson555 (Post 7421389)
i have a 97 f150 that as soon as i hook up the battery the truck tries to start itself what would cause this

I have a 97 that started itself tuesday morning i went to get in wouldnt start so i took my wifes car ten min later she called and said truck went thru garage cost me 658 dollars in damage to garage door put scratches on truck! Its due to faulty wiring from starter to the solenoid on firewall these need replaced asap to keep from this happening to anyone else!

monsterbaby 10-30-2010 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by fast68 (Post 7431886)
well it wont crank it its not in park or neutral

so the safety switch si working

but this is nothing to do with the problem

bad solenoid or bad ign switch still

You just eliminatd the solenoid. If the nuetral safety switch dropping the power from the red/tan wire stops the starter cranking then the solenoid is working properly and the problem is BEFORE the nuetral safety switch. I would start at the switch personally.

stonedavef 12-29-2011 06:26 PM

2001 ford starts its self

i have a 2001 ford and it want to try and start its self when i turn the lights on but then the radio goes out and the heater comes on. I tried to replace the solenoid on the fire wall and now i cant get the stater to stop unless i take the wire that runs to the alternator off? and so i got under the truck to check the starter and there is a solenoid on the starter too? Can anyone help?

fishinwkids 01-10-2012 01:18 PM

ign switch

critterf1 01-10-2012 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by fishinwkids (Post 11264139)
ign switch

I second that

Bluegrass 7 01-11-2012 09:23 AM

The ignition switch closes power to the start relay.
This relay has heavy contacts to pass current to the starter motor.
They often burn closed from use.
I have a problem with the poster who left his truck in the garage and it started by it'self and ran through.
First, if an automatic trans and left in Park it cannot just run away.
Left in neutral, the trans still will not move the truck.
Left in any other gear, the starter will not engage.
If a manuel trans and left in gear, yes the truck will move.
For a fault start, the key would have to be in the ignition with a PATS system in play and a the igntion left in the Run position.
To many safetys to defeat for a self start and run, to happen like that.
Question is, in what condition was the truck left in for any possability of self starting 'and moving' even if there was a fault present?
I have never heard of this before, happening as the poster discribed.

ford4554 02-12-2012 10:35 AM

This will happen if the 2 wires have been switched on the solenoid, Did you by chance accidently switch the wires around while working under the hood

Spotty 02-13-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7 (Post 11268042)
The ignition switch closes power to the start relay.
This relay has heavy contacts to pass current to the starter motor.
They often burn closed from use.
I have a problem with the poster who left his truck in the garage and it started by it'self and ran through.
First, if an automatic trans and left in Park it cannot just run away.
Left in neutral, the trans still will not move the truck.
Left in any other gear, the starter will not engage.
If a manuel trans and left in gear, yes the truck will move.
For a fault start, the key would have to be in the ignition with a PATS system in play and a the igntion left in the Run position.
To many safetys to defeat for a self start and run, to happen like that.
Question is, in what condition was the truck left in for any possability of self starting 'and moving' even if there was a fault present?
I have never heard of this before, happening as the poster discribed.

Really....How does it put itself in gear or even crank with all the lock out features built into an automatic or stick. Since I have been in the garage door business for 30 years, I have actually heard this from customers many times....:-roll

Bluegrass 7 02-13-2012 01:14 PM

Better ask them some questons and find out the real truth.
Hell ,the power windows are even sensitive to getting a childs head or hand caught in a closing window. They auto stop before any real injury is done. Few know this feature is designed in.
This is a lot like the cars that accelerated by themselves out of control a couple years ago.
It was all a farce in the end.