Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Where to find used cargo vans? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/842937-where-to-find-used-cargo-vans.html)

glasstruck 04-18-2009 12:02 PM

Where to find used cargo vans?

I'm looking for a used 2000-2008 E-250/E-350 extended cargo van. Having a hard time finding low mileage candidates on the internet. Check ebay regularly. Any ideas or sites to view other than ebay? I live on Kauai so I'm not against traveling to see one. My criteria: extended van, swing cargo side doors, v-8, low mileage.
Don't want to buy one new. Also, I have a '06 E-350 diesel and love it. Thinking the only difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton is slightly less GVW. Are there other important differences such as better brakes, springs, etc?
Thanks for the help,
Jim

wiscvanman 04-18-2009 06:15 PM

WWW.TRUCKPAPER.COM

class 1-3
scroll down to the bottom or use the search for specifics.

longboardguy 04-19-2009 10:09 AM

Showroom

FAMVANS In fountain Valley, Ca. about 2 miles from me. These guys helped me out several times when i really needed it.
They do nothing but used vans, and van repairs.
If you see one there online you really like, I can drop by and inspect it for you.
-fisher

glasstruck 04-19-2009 11:23 AM

Thanks guys. Fisher, that's a kind offer, may take you up on that. I have found a van in Costa Mesa that I'm interested in so was thinking of flying over to check it out but we'll see. The van I'm interested in has a 3 month bumper to bumper warranty and has been inspected by a Ford dealer/shop. I've never bought a vehicle sight un-seen; a little wary.
Jim

Veetener 04-19-2009 07:21 PM

In San Jose, where we have direct flights from HNL (Hawaiian Air) there is a dealer on Monterey Rd, about 1 mile S of Curtner (two major roads) that has nothing but used vans. There must be hundred or so on about 2 acres. For some reason, they are *all* white.
They all look fairly new, so I'm sure there is something there for you.
Whatcha doing in Kauai? I assume you want to van for a business, right?
My wife is from Omao. Son, grandkids, and great grands live in Kapaa. In-laws live in Puhi, and Omao.
Wife grad. KHS, I grad. UHM.
Eddie
98 E350 Club Wagon 15-pass V-10
best damn vehicle in the world!

longboardguy 04-19-2009 10:33 PM

I am in Costa mesa. Just email me if you want me to look at it. gwfisher @ ca.rr. com.

85e150 04-20-2009 12:16 AM

Let me know if you lower your requirements a little. I'm in Pasadena Ca....

glasstruck 04-20-2009 10:07 AM

Thanks for the tips/help! Lived on Kauai since '87. We own a glass business and have 2 vans with glass racks, one van needs to be replaced (serious rust issues from previous scuba operation). Longboarder, that'd be great, I'll let you know. I want the seller to provide a price to outfit the van with the Quietflex plastic racks/bins (have those on my '06 and love 'em).
Veetener; do you know the name of that place with the used vans?
'85-----what do you mean by "lower your requirements a little?"

Thanks!
Jim

Club Wagon 04-20-2009 01:31 PM

Since it seems you expect to fly to buy & have the van shipped home, I'm surprised nobody suggested AutoTrader & TruckTrader.

HAB 04-20-2009 06:49 PM

Don't want to buy one new. Also, I have a '06 E-350 diesel and love it.
Jim[/quote]

I've got an 06 E-350 Diesel and of the 10 vans I've owned think its the best yet. Would love to find a 2000-2004 empty E350 Cargo just for a banger.:-X0A6

Veetener 04-20-2009 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by glasstruck (Post 7407727)
Thanks for the tips/help! Lived on Kauai since '87. We own a glass business and have 2 vans with glass racks, one van needs to be replaced (serious rust issues from previous scuba operation). Longboarder, that'd be great, I'll let you know. I want the seller to provide a price to outfit the van with the Quietflex plastic racks/bins (have those on my '06 and love 'em).
Veetener; do you know the name of that place with the used vans?
'85-----what do you mean by "lower your requirements a little?"

Thanks!
Jim

Jim, would you believe that I pass that business every weekday? I drive a transit bus and do a regular run that takes me from SJ to Gilroy. I've must have passed the van site a few thousand times. But I never paid attention to the name of the business.
Tomorrow, guaranteed, I'll check out the name.
I'll post it about this time.
EL

Hired Gun 04-21-2009 09:02 AM

By the time you figure in the cost of the flights, racks and bins, transportation to Kauai and the Ford incentives have you looked into buying a 2008 new. That would also get you the full warranty so you don't have to worry about repairs for at least 3 years. I would rather spend my money on a fresher van than airfare and transportation.

glasstruck 04-22-2009 11:49 AM

Thanks again guys; hired gun, how did you raise your van in the front?
Yeah, I thought about buying new but have found used 2004-2006 in the 11k range with low miles (E-250). That's way cheaper than new. Plus Ford does not have a 0% financing package right now and the new vans are uglier than sin (no offense!). Cannot believe they screwed up the front end like that.
Jim
Veetner----thanks for your help as well.

Hired Gun 04-22-2009 02:25 PM

Hi Jim,
I love the new front end. I waited an extra year to get mine so it wouldn't look like a 15 year old van the day I got it.

On the 08 Cargo they are offering 3,000 cash back or 0.00 for 60 months. 1.9 for 72 months. Ford Advantage Plan - New Car Financing & Payment Protection You Can Count On

It still doesn't beat 11,000 for a used one. That is really good.

The way I raised my van is is has a 3" body lift all around. I have 265/75/16 M/T tires on it. With the posi rear end it is about unstoppable. I love it other than the in town milage. 8.77 so far. It is getting better on each tank. I have 1,800 miles on it now. I just built a merged Y pipe for it. I hope that helps a bit. It had no affect on the sound or power that I can tell.

Shawn

glasstruck 04-23-2009 11:07 AM

Shawn, looks like my color: True Blue?? (L2 code)
I've got the same size Wranglers on my van, no lift, plus it's fairly loaded all the time so the front tires rub a little; thought the simple rubber/poly coil spring spacers would be ideal. Where did you find the stuff for the body lift? 8.77 sounds bad. My van (with 2 sided exterior aluminum glass racks, ladder rack with 4 ladders & tools inside, plus daily glass load--sometimes heavy, sometimes light--) gets from the 12's all the way to 16+ (without racks/ladders). Trying to improve with additives; Power Service Diesel Kleen doesn't seem to do anything so I just bought Ford's Motorcraft diesel additive. Thinking of totally freeing up the exhaust too.
Jim