Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Sandblasting Frame POR15 vs Powder Coating (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/841843-sandblasting-frame-por15-vs-powder-coating.html)

TxF100 04-14-2009 06:44 PM

Sandblasting Frame POR15 vs Powder Coating

What should it cost to sandblast a frame? My frame is pretty clean, just has a lot of undercoating on some of it.

And is it better to powder coat or to use a POR15 or a Eastwood type product?

sdetweil 04-14-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by TxF100 (Post 7386818)
What should it cost to sandblast a frame? My frame is pretty clean, just has a lot of undercoating on some of it.

And is it better to powder coat or to use a POR15 or a Eastwood type product?

Last time I checked PC over in Conroe, it was $500-600 for the frame, including blasting. So blasting only should be 200ish. I used Zero Rust, and like the finish, but its not as good as PC.

SamI think I will get the next one PC myself.

bsteele52 04-14-2009 07:04 PM

I found a guy in monroe,NC that would sandblast and powder coat my frame for $500.

grumpy46 04-14-2009 07:43 PM

i wouldn't use por 15 on the frame. if a rock hits it it will chip then water gets underneath. as sdetweil said zero rust works good. when i do it again i will powder coat

seaves46 04-14-2009 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by grumpy46 (Post 7387083)
i wouldn't use por 15 on the frame. if a rock hits it it will chip then water gets underneath. as sdetweil said zero rust works good. when i do it again i will powder coat

That is a good reason NOT to powder coat your frame also , if a stone chips your powder coat and moisture then gets under it it will bubble up from the rust , it is then a nightmare to repair or remove the powder coat.
Better to just use a good quality paint , than it it gets damaged or you want to alter your frame in any way it can simply be touched up .

grumpy46 04-14-2009 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by seaves46 (Post 7387189)
That is a good reason NOT to powder coat your frame also , if a stone chips your powder coat and moisture then gets under it it will bubble up from the rust , it is then a nightmare to repair or remove the powder coat.
Better to just use a good quality paint , than it it gets damaged or you want to alter your frame in any way it can simply be touched up .

did not know that about powder coat. i will stick to zero rust and paint. learned something today:-drink

tinman52 04-14-2009 08:37 PM

seaves46, you are 100 % correct.......I will never powder coat anything, ever! I've had to deal with it after it went to he$$. A quality auto paint works for me. End of rant. T/M

havi 04-14-2009 09:08 PM

I like epoxy primer, and a top coat color of choice. $200 sounds about right nowadays. About $100 10 years ago. I'll know for sure...hopefully soon.

TxF100 04-14-2009 09:11 PM

Why do guys like Chip Fooses powder coat all the stuff on the TV shows?

havi 04-14-2009 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by TxF100 (Post 7387526)

Because it looks good :confused:

Bill W 04-14-2009 09:51 PM

I got my truck frame, rad support, finder aprons, bat tray, tranny crossmember and spare tire carrier back from the blast shop today, cost me 200 bucks, all the parts were very clean and ready to go.... i'm going to be painting the parts with Nason ful poxy and then with Imron semi-gloss black, hope to paint this weekend.

Old F1 04-14-2009 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by TxF100 (Post 7386818)
What should it cost to sandblast a frame? My frame is pretty clean, just has a lot of undercoating on some of it. And is it better to powder coat or to use a POR15 or a Eastwood type product?

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine, (from experience) and just my two cents.

The way I see it there are three reasons for cleaning / painting / coating the frame, I know it looks good (to you and the “experts”), it makes it much easier and nicer to work on (most important) and stops the rust, although that’s mostly a visual thing, how many frames have rust through, even on derelicts that have been in a farmer’s field forever, the frames just have surface rust.

Do you ever get mud in Texas, got gravel or dirt roads, ……..keep in mind that the real truth is that the first time you go on a dirt / gravel road (in a rain storm) the frame is covered in mud.

Use the money for beer, just clean the frame and use a rust covering paint, unless you want to spend all your time latter washing and cleaning the frame.

:)

Originally Posted by TxF100 (Post 7387526)

Originally Posted by havi (Post 7387634)
Because it looks good :confused:

Because he’s not paying for it, someone else is. :rolleyes:

havi 04-14-2009 10:32 PM

A valid arguement and I'm not disagreeing, but I started over because my first '48's frame was rusted all the way through in several areas....particularly where the spring shackles were. So i got a second truck and started over, this time with a better frame. Just 1 of 3 reasons why I'm 4 years behind schedule. :-banghead

Glockem45 04-15-2009 06:06 AM

It all depends on where you are located, how many local sandblasting/powdercoating companies are around you, and how desperate they are for work. I have talked to 3 different large companies locally and I have been quoted b/w $600 - $700 to have it sandbasted and powdercoated 1 base color (i.e. Black).

You must provide them with a completely clean frame, free of any rubber parts, grease, goo, oil, random parts, etc, and the turn around time is usually 7-10 days.

My quotes may be a little on the high, but keep in mind that I am in the Northern Republic of Virginia.:-missingt

TxF100 04-15-2009 08:01 AM

I am in Houston so there is a good deal of rain, and if you go out to rural anywhere here you will find gravel roads. I am wanting a durable low maintenance solution. I have been quoted 400.00 to blast and powder coat the frame.