Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Best cold air intake and exhaust. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/840681-best-cold-air-intake-and-exhaust.html)

coolrydr 04-11-2009 06:48 AM

Best cold air intake and exhaust.

:-headbangWhat is the best cold air intake I can put on my 2001 7.3 ? Also, how about the exhaust? Thanks

just another truck 04-11-2009 07:17 AM

The best is open to opinion.. But what most here have gone to is the Napa 6637 (see riffraft diesel performance for a complete kit) for intake.. Exhaust, well that to is up to you, but a 4" open muffler seems do a decent job of keeping the EGT's down.

megawatt00 04-11-2009 07:23 AM

What Pat said is 100% correct. Most here use the 6637 airfilter. As far as exhaust anything is less restrictive than stock. The least expensive option is a 4" turbo back aluminized system. You can upgrade from there, SS, Duals, Stacks, 5" system.

What are you looking for out of a system? Sound, etc?

beanhead6D5 04-11-2009 07:33 AM

I have a stage 1 AFE w/pro-guard 7 I will give it to you.I use it for about 6 mounths,you just have to clean it up a little.PM me if you want it.

It runs off the factor set up and you can do the zoodad mod and it will get more cool air that way.

Pete,has the covers for these now.

greedy737 04-11-2009 07:40 AM

Mine is stock pipe 3 1'2" out the side straight pipe no muffler also 6637 filter! Runs better, uses less fuel, sounds better! Only thing is, can't sneak home anymore she can hear me way before I get there! :-banghead

jdecker88 04-11-2009 07:52 AM

Get a 6637 kit from Clay at RiffRaff Performance and a MBRP or MKO exhaust either a 4in or 5in and go from there IMHO I would rather have a muffler straight pipe sounds like crap with that flutter.

white Buffalo 04-11-2009 08:26 AM

Anyone have a pic or a link to the 6637 kit that Clay at RiffRaff Performance sells. Been offline for a while and have been seeing his name & kit posted oftern lately.

ron's power stroke 04-11-2009 08:28 AM

his site isnt really up and running yet..you will need to email him
Riffraff Diesel Performance http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/

white Buffalo 04-11-2009 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by coolrydr (Post 7372936)
:-headbangWhat is the best cold air intake I can put on my 2001 7.3 ? Also, how about the exhaust? Thanks

1) The 6637 TYMAR intake can be done for less than $50.

2) The Ford AIS system replaces the stock airbox and provides excellent filtration as well. With bigger mods you might need to drill a 3" hole on the drivers side of the housing & the zoodad mod to feed it more air. Runs about $200-$225

3) The AFE systems are popular for the 7.3L as well. Many folks run them with excellent results.

4) stay away from the K&N systems for this application, they tend to let too much dust through & can damage the turbo or worse......

I have run the 6637 and Ford AIS. Both have show excellent results on my used oil analysis reports. The AFE has show just as good results as well from other UOA reports I have seen.

Are you at Fort Bragg? It's been a while but we were there from '91-'93......:-drink

Ponyboychris 04-11-2009 09:10 AM

I have the AIS plus a 4" MBRP exhaust and I'm very happy with the set-up

soutthpaw 04-16-2009 04:44 PM

6637 and a 4" turbo back exhaust is the ticket

liftedgrocerygetter 04-16-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by white Buffalo (Post 7373132)
Anyone have a pic or a link to the 6637 kit that Clay at RiffRaff Performance sells. Been offline for a while and have been seeing his name & kit posted oftern lately.

Here is a thread with pics of his kit. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...lly-ready.html

King0581 04-16-2009 05:38 PM

I'm actually heading to the dark side and I am going to put the stock filter off a 6.0 on my truck for awhile and see how it does.

ernesteugene 04-16-2009 09:11 PM

Since you specified a "cold air" intake you've already decided to get the "best" in terms of the "coolest" possible intake air temperature so that narrows the choices to what's best for "Dirt Filtering Efficiency", "Dirt Holding Capacity", and "Inches H2O restriction vs CFM".

The 6.0L Donaldson gives the best combined score in all 3 categories, the 7.3L AIS is almost as good for "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" and "Dirt Holding Capacity", but it has a higher "Inches H2O restriction vs CFM", and the S&B 7.3L Cold Air Intake below might be your best choice if you've a very high HP application.

The S&B has a "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" of 99.69% which is almost as good as the 99.76% for the stock filter and at a 785 CFM the S&B only has an 11" H2O restriction instead of the 25" H2O restriction for a stock filter.

However comparing the "Dirt Holding Capacity" between filters determines how often you need to service/change them and to get the low restriction of the S&B it needs to be serviced 5 times for each replacement of a stock element and the S&B it needs to be serviced 11 times for each replacement of a 6.0L Donaldson or 7.3L AIS element!

At some point I'll pull together all the air filter data I can find and plot a comparison "Inches H2O restriction vs CFM" curve and give a table comparing "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" and "Dirt Holding Capacity".

https://h1.ripway.com/ernesteugene/DG5/SB_Box.bmp

Justin03PSD 04-16-2009 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ernesteugene (Post 7396066)
At some point I'll pull together all the air filter data I can find and plot a comparison "Inches H2O restriction vs CFM" curve and give a table comparing "Dirt Filtering Efficiency" and "Dirt Holding Capacity".

Looking forward to it.

From what I have read you are a big proponent of the stock air box. When you factor in cost, IAT, and filtering ability I can see why.

In your opinion, what is the best filter for the stock air box? I have been thinking about the AEM Dryflow 28-20248:

AEM - Dryflow Performance Panel Filter

Originally Posted by AEM
Element is cleanable and is guaranteed for the life of your vehicle

DRYFLOW air filter will NOT void your vehicle’s warranty

Delivers up to 99.52% filtration efficiency, based on independent SAE J726 JUN93 FINE DUST Air Cleaner Test Code procedures

AEM’s unique non-woven filter media never needs oil, meaning less down time between cleanings and no more chance of over-oiling. It takes the guesswork out of servicing your air filter

Filter element is virtually impossible to collapse and is more durable than cotton gauze

There is also the Amsoil EAA728:

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA728-EA

Originally Posted by Amsoil
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters represent a major breakthrough in filtration technology. The revolutionary nanofiber technology used in AMSOIL Ea Filters captures more dirt, holds more dirt and allows better air flow than conventional air filters. AMSOIL Ea Filters improve engine performance and help engines last longer.

Absolute Efficiency
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are the most efficient filters available to the car/light truck market. Ea Air Filters’ synthetic nanofiber media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filter media alone and 50 times more dust than wet gauze filter media. AMSOIL Ea Air Filters have a service life of 100,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first.

Better Air Flow
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters allow more airflow than filters that use cellulose media alone. Cellulose fibers are larger than nanofibers, and have larger spaces between the fibers, causing contaminants to load in the depth of the media and plug the airflow path, which results in higher restriction and less capacity. The synthetic nanofibers in EaA Filter media have submicron diameters and small interfiber spaces, which result in more contaminants being captured on the surface of the media and lower restriction.

Filter material comparissonMore Capacity
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters hold up to two and a half times more contaminants than cellulose air filters. Since the nanofibers in the media are so small there are more pores per square inch, allowing for higher dirt-holding capacity and lower pressure drop when compared to cellulose filter media alone. Thinner media fibers produce more uniform pore size distribution, improving the filter’s overall quality and ability to capture and retain particles. Testing shows that Ea Air Filters hold 15 times more contaminants than a wet gauze type filter.

Cleanable - Longer Life
When cleaned according to AMSOIL specifications and used in normal service, AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are guaranteed for 100,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first. EaA Filters remain effective for 25,000 miles or one year before requiring cleaning. This coincides with the AMSOIL 25,000-mile/one-year motor oil drain interval, adding even more convenience for motorists by consolidating routine maintenance. (See below for cleaning instructions.)
Click to see larger version of Filter Capacity graph
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters hold 15 times more dust than a wet gauze type filter. AMSOIL Ea Air Filter media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filters and 50 times more dust than wet gauze.

Applications
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters provide superior air filtration for vehicles in the auto/light truck market.

Cleaning
EaA filters should be cleaned every year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Carefully remove the filter from the housing. Clean the housing with a shop towel, being careful not to knock contaminants into the air inlet. Filters can be cleaned by carefully vacuuming the filter media on the dirty side, or by holding the filter with one hand and carefully blowing the filter media at a 45 degree angle on the clean side using low-pressure shop air (15-20 lbs. psi).

Service Life
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are guaranteed for four years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The guarantee applies only if the filter has been serviced according to AMSOIL recommendations. In off-road, frequently dusty or other severe duty applications, clean and change more often as determined by operating conditions or as indicated by restriction gauge.