Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   egr delete 2005 6.0 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/839710-egr-delete-2005-6-0-a.html)

ford4x4956 04-08-2009 12:19 AM

egr delete 2005 6.0

been reading and decided the best thing to do is delete or bypass the egr POS stuff....should i just block it off or should i delete the whole thing??? its an 2005 6.0....im planning on doing it myself...thanx

HeavyAssault 04-08-2009 05:09 PM

A modded up-pipe is easily done by yourself and doesn't cost a whole bunch. The full delete can be done being extensive and costly but well worth the effort.

Google FIRST COAST DIESEL PERFORMANCE

ford4x4956 04-08-2009 06:10 PM

so to bypass it should i just plug the up pipe?

Black1 04-08-2009 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ford4x4956 (Post 7363494)

That would still allow it to put coolant in the intake when the core fails. To get it to the point you can block off the EGR cooler-to-intake manifold junction, you'll basically have it out of the truck and in your hands anyway.

My only regret with deleting the EGR cooler is that I didn't do it sooner. It is not inexpensive to do, but after finding my exhaust full of coolant I was afraid I'd cost myself even more by pushing my luck. BTW, did you know the exhaust manifold holds enough coolant to nearly fill a 1lb coffee can? That's how much I sucked out of mine with momma's (former) turkey baster.

I gotta remember to run by the store and get her a new turkey baster before she realizes it's missing.

scameron 04-08-2009 11:14 PM

when the cooler failed on my 05, i took it as an opportunity to rid my truck of the system. plus, a new cooler was pretty much the same price as a new SCT X3 with custom tunes. lucky for me i have a friend with a custom metal fabricating shop. had the scope and elbow cut off the up pipe and a patch welded on. took my cooler and had him perform what is known as the crack pipe mod. do some searching on this site. you will find a couple guys who did this delete for less then 100 bucks. the cost of those delete kits are not justified. problem i have after the delete is that my turbo seems to have gone into what is refered to as EPA or Limp mode. my boost is limited to 20psi. this can be taken care with a custom tune.

adambomb 04-09-2009 01:21 AM

how effective is the "crack pipe" mod if you don't cut out the scoop in the up pipe?
i know it still eliminates the whole cooler, but if you leave the scoop are there and downsides?
i'm thinking it just won't be as free flowing?
thx

scameron 04-09-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by adambomb (Post 7365251)
how effective is the "crack pipe" mod if you don't cut out the scoop in the up pipe?
i know it still eliminates the whole cooler, but if you leave the scoop are there and downsides?
i'm thinking it just won't be as free flowing?
thx

i hear the scope affects flow of exhaust. cut it out or buy an up pipe already modified.

hangon2me 04-09-2009 12:29 PM

I have done the Blocker Plate with the Turbo up-pipe, everything looks stock.
As for the EGR cooler, I have never heard of the EGR cooler EVER failing after it has been blocked. You need to remove the up-scoop from the exhaust for best performance.

Black1 04-09-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hangon2me (Post 7366510)
As for the EGR cooler, I have never heard of the EGR cooler EVER failing after it has been blocked.

I haven't either. To be fair, I've never heard anyone say their failed cooler filled the passenger-side exhaust with coolant all the way up to the up-pipe/cooler juncture, either, and I sure as he11 experienced it myself. I had coolant in the intake, but thankfully it was not filled.

After experiencing what I consider a complete failure, I can't in good conscience recommend anything but a total delete/trashbin solution to the EGR idiocracy on these motors. In no way shape or form is that thing doing you any favors bolted to your motor.

If anyone needs an '04 up-pipe (no scoop inside) you can have my old one for the price of shipping. If you just want to do a block-off it'd be easier than grinding the scoop out of an '05 or later.

woodys06 04-09-2009 09:53 PM

Doing the Elite diesel delete this weekend. Cant think of a better way to spend Easter.....

HeavyAssault 04-10-2009 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ford4x4956 (Post 7363494)

As long as your EGR cooler isn't currently ruptured you can mod the up-pipe (plug and cut out the scoop-if present).

As you can see with the other posts the if you don't have issues you could get by with just a modded pipe. You have decreased the chances of an EGR cooler rupture.

If you have EGR cooler issues, the full delete is the better choice. All those pieces need to come out so just trash the OEM junk, and fix the problem once and for all.