Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum64/)
-   -   2000 F-350 Front Axle Problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/838902-2000-f-350-front-axle-problem.html)

EricPero 04-05-2009 08:34 PM

2000 F-350 Front Axle Problem

Hi all,
Here's my problem. I have a 2000 F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with major front-end issues. I removed the following items on the passenger front end:

Brake Pads: Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Rotor Front:
Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Rotor Back:

Caliper bracket showing wear:

Hub bearing:

Does this look like a major brake problem? I was thinking of ordering new rotors and brakes from RotorPros.

Here's the big question. I found MAJOR play in the area I am pointing to in the picture. Can anyone please tell me exactly what this part is and how do I get the axle out? Could you also tell me how big of a job it is to replace it and how much it would cost to replace? Any assistance with this would be appreciated since I can't drive the truck to and from work until I fix this problem.

Thanks,
Eric

What is this?

Here's the picture of the exposed axle (where it is left at right now until I can fix it):

Lazy K 04-06-2009 07:27 AM

The part you are pointing at is the axle shaft with the universal joint in it.
I would think the problem with it is caused either by what looks like a bad wheel bearing or the universal is worn/seized.
To get the axle shaft out you will have to remove the spindle (the tube that the hub rotates on). The spindle is bolted to the steering knuckle. Once that is off, depending on what axle you have the axle shaft should pull right out.
Hopefully someone who knows more about the later trucks will chime in soon.

brian42 04-06-2009 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by EricPero (Post 7351476)

You are pointing to the dust seal for the axle. It falls out on a lot of our rigs. No big deal, although the next time you are in there I would replace it.

EricPero 04-06-2009 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by brian42 (Post 7352788)
You are pointing to the dust seal for the axle. It falls out on a lot of our rigs. No big deal, although the next time you are in there I would replace it.

Thanks. The problem is that there is a LOT of play in the axle going into the axle shaft. When I grab hold of the spindle shaft (bear with my part descriptions), it moves sloppily left, right, up and down. A new seal will not prevent that much movement. It seems like something broke or became lose.

Any ideas on how to determine that?

Thanks,
Eric:-banghead

EricPero 04-06-2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 7352628)
The part you are pointing at is the axle shaft with the universal joint in it.
I would think the problem with it is caused either by what looks like a bad wheel bearing or the universal is worn/seized.
To get the axle shaft out you will have to remove the spindle (the tube that the hub rotates on). The spindle is bolted to the steering knuckle. Once that is off, depending on what axle you have the axle shaft should pull right out.
Hopefully someone who knows more about the later trucks will chime in soon.

OK...the wheel bearing that I removed; how do I determine if it's bad? The needle bearings look fine (lubricated, none missing)...should there be any play when I move it up/down/left/right? It looks like I am at the point where I'll need "special" tools to remove the spindle, steering arm, etc? Am I right? Bear with me since this is stuff I have never worked on before.

Thanks,
Eric :confused:

Lazy K 04-07-2009 07:05 AM

The needle bearing is just to support the axle shaft, it should be sound but is not the wheel bearing. The big bearings inside the hub should rotate freely and not feel "rough" when rotated nor should they make any kind of a noise.
The spindle should be held on with bolts and once they are removed it should come off. It may need a bit of help by placing a block of wood on the spindle and hitting the wood hard with a big hammer. Do this down, sideways and up. If that doesn`t work you may have to rent a spindle puller to get it off.
The steering knuckle is attached to the axle by two ball joints. To get it off you need to remove the nuts from the ball joints and then drive a pickle fork type ball joint remover tool in between the knuckle and axle flanges to "break" the taper joint apart.
However unless you are fitting new ball joints you should not need the steering knuckle off.

Mercury45 04-07-2009 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by EricPero (Post 7351476)
Hi all,
Here's my problem. I have a 2000 F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with major front-end issues. I removed the following items on the passenger front end:

Brake Pads: Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Rotor Front:

Rotor Back:

Caliper bracket showing wear:

Hub bearing:

Does this look like a major brake problem? I was thinking of ordering new rotors and brakes from RotorPros.

Here's the big question. I found MAJOR play in the area I am pointing to in the picture. Can anyone please tell me exactly what this part is and how do I get the axle out? Could you also tell me how big of a job it is to replace it and how much it would cost to replace? Any assistance with this would be appreciated since I can't drive the truck to and from work until I fix this problem.

Thanks,
Eric

What is this?

Here's the picture of the exposed axle (where it is left at right now until I can fix it):

i have an 03 and had it apart up front many times...

the MAIN KNUCKLE SEAL will cause the play you are talking about

http://truckhelpdesk.com/web/ball.pdf

kenny

Lazy K 04-07-2009 09:39 AM

Mercury 45, neat link. I was giving him wrong info. I thought it was a defferent axle. If he goes with your info he should be OK.
Sending rep points.

EricPero 04-07-2009 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury45 (Post 7357390)
i have an 03 and had it apart up front many times...

the MAIN KNUCKLE SEAL will cause the play you are talking about

http://truckhelpdesk.com/web/ball.pdf

kenny

Kenny,
So are you saying that there should be play when the axle shaft is moved? Why does it move then when I had everything on before stripping it down? The main bearing seems fine. I'm still at a loss.

Eric:-huh

Mercury45 04-07-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by EricPero (Post 7357467)
Kenny,
So are you saying that there should be play when the axle shaft is moved? Why does it move then when I had everything on before stripping it down? The main bearing seems fine. I'm still at a loss.

Eric:-huh

did you review mypdf file? it shows a bad knuckle seal vs a good one i think thats in there...

play will occur if your knuckle seal is bad or non existant...

let me see if i can find a pic... here is one Knuckle seal image by DJR96 on Photobucket the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft

kenny

Mercury45 04-07-2009 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lazy K (Post 7357418)
Mercury 45, neat link. I was giving him wrong info. I thought it was a defferent axle. If he goes with your info he should be OK.
Sending rep points.

i try to make writeups for all the stuff i do with my truck... i also got one on lock out hubs

kenny

Mercury45 04-07-2009 10:29 AM

oops it was in this write up at the end... have a look

http://truckhelpdesk.com/web/hub.pdf

kenny

EricPero 04-07-2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury45 (Post 7357572)
did you review mypdf file? it shows a bad knuckle seal vs a good one i think thats in there...

play will occur if your knuckle seal is bad or non existant...

let me see if i can find a pic... here is one Knuckle seal image by DJR96 on Photobucket the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft

kenny

So if I grab the spindle and try to move it up/down/left/right, and it does move, then the knuckle seal is bad? If so, is this the correct part I need?

Pinion Seal - Front Axle

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/600147.jpg
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=570 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right width=80>Part: </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>NOS 15503 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right width=80>Product Line: </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>NAPA Oil Seals </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2><TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" align=right>Price
Unit

</TD><TD>:
:

</TD><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" align=right>26.49
Each

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mercury45 04-07-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by EricPero (Post 7358050)
So if I grab the spindle and try to move it up/down/left/right, and it does move, then the knuckle seal is bad? If so, is this the correct part I need?

Pinion Seal - Front Axle

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/600147.jpg
<table width="570" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td width="100%"><table><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="80" align="right">Part: </td><td valign="top" align="left">NOS 15503 </td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="80" align="right">Product Line: </td><td valign="top" align="left">NAPA Oil Seals </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="middle"><table border="0"><tbody><tr><td style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">Price
Unit

</td><td>:
:

</td><td style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">26.49
Each

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

no... to properly tell if the knuckle seal is bad... rip the hub off as you said you did already, grab the stub shaft with a rag - use my pdf for ball joints and yank on the axle shaft... you can pry the u joint to help you get it out - its got a good seal in the diff so the first time is tough.

The part you showed is a pinion seal... this goes between the pinion gear and the front driveshaft of the front differential... totally different.

here is the tool.... Lisle LIS38060 AXLE SEAL INSTALLER FORD F SERIES TRUCKS

here is where the knuckle seal (sometimes called a main seal or main axle seal) goes

http://quad4x4.com/images/front%20ax...arts%20054.jpg

pull the axle shaft out... the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft (short axle) and the dust seal goes on the axle shaft - longer axle.

i had to get my seals at ford... but i recall somebody finding them online somewhere

they are 80 bux from ford

they are called main seal or knuckle seal NOT PINION SEAL

just making sure you know

kenny

EricPero 04-14-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury45 (Post 7358131)
no... to properly tell if the knuckle seal is bad... rip the hub off as you said you did already, grab the stub shaft with a rag - use my pdf for ball joints and yank on the axle shaft... you can pry the u joint to help you get it out - its got a good seal in the diff so the first time is tough.

The part you showed is a pinion seal... this goes between the pinion gear and the front driveshaft of the front differential... totally different.

here is the tool.... Lisle LIS38060 AXLE SEAL INSTALLER FORD F SERIES TRUCKS

here is where the knuckle seal (sometimes called a main seal or main axle seal) goes

http://quad4x4.com/images/front%20ax...arts%20054.jpg

pull the axle shaft out... the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft (short axle) and the dust seal goes on the axle shaft - longer axle.

i had to get my seals at ford... but i recall somebody finding them online somewhere

they are 80 bux from ford

they are called main seal or knuckle seal NOT PINION SEAL

just making sure you know

kenny

OK...here's another one. I finally have the passenger side apart (knuckle off, axle shaft out). I still need to get the bearings out of the hub...how do I get the needle bearing and the main bearing? Can I use a ball joint press? What is the part number for the main bearing? I checked with Ben at Powerstrokeshop.com and he said that there is no Ford replacement part for the main bearing; only the hub replacement @ $255.

Thanks,
Eric