Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   Dodge's Lightning Killer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8363-dodges-lightning-killer.html)

Lightning Rod 03-09-2002 10:35 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

I've seen several pictures of the new Dodge SRT/10 and they are indeed ugly. "Rosie O'Donnell in a thong" ugly. Almost as nasty looking as the Chevrolet Avalanche.

Performance-wise, I doubt that they will have a full 500 HP. Think about it........a mass production vehicle producing 500 HP that is priced in the $35K range? Doubtful. However, Dodge has been forced to make a performance truck that they can hang their hat on because the full-sized SST and Dakota 5.9 ain't cuttin' it. I beat the crap out of those guys all the time with my stock '01.

RUNVS?

rdl1320 03-27-2002 10:43 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

>where did you get info on a SST? if you are refering to
>the SRT/10, you dont think it will catch a ford v10?!:-X11
> dude, it has a 500HP viper V10 in it and does the 1/4 in
>12.9. what does a ford V10 do it in?
>
>and whoever said you can get the same performance in a 17"
>rim/tire as a 20" rim/tire, has obviously never driven a car
>or truck on 20's. my 20's have increased the handling ten
>fold over my 17's. Both wearing Z-ratted rubber.
A Dodge SS/T doesn't have a V10.It's a 360 and no it can't catch a F250 Super Cab 8ft bed V10.At least not mine any way
:-X10 I raced one at Cecil county Md.

true blue 04-03-2002 10:21 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

I checked this web site. Quite impressive. I feel that Ford has seen this as well and will have something for it. Right now the Lightning is only 50 ftlbs short of the huge V10. Ford has a history of going faster with less CID and less HP. (ie. 302 vs 350/ 351 vs 454 ) Ford has plenty of resources left. You can bet that those times ran by the dodge were done by a pro with the best conditions. Let's see real world.:-X04 http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/naias2002/dodge/ramsrt10.html

kota on 20s 04-23-2002 09:21 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

i really doubt if it will come on 24's. im thinking 20's. and 50 ft.lbs of torque does wonders, not to mencion the 120 HP. and the comment about "thoes conditions were with a pro driver", well a "pro driver" got a stock viper to do 12.2's, but a viper owner got a stock viper to do 11.85@ 119.61. so i guess the ram MIGHT go faster.

i know in high horse power cars and trucks, the driver makes more of a differance than the truck in some cases. if both trucks are stock and with equal experienced drivers i know who will win.

there are verry good tuners for vipers out there, and wait untill they get ahold of a srt:-X04 :-X04

MustangGT221 04-24-2002 12:06 AM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

One thing i've noticed is that it takes 500hp V-10 from dodge to keep up with a 385hp V-8 from Ford, come on.

Primary rig is:
95' F-150 EB 300/6 5 spd with 4" Superlift, MSD, Ram Air, Gibson Exhaust, 32" BFG Muds
NEW PICS IN MY GALLERY!! :-)

Then theres:
88' F-250 Superduty 351 + c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 and a
3 spd column shifter baby. Top speed, 65mph, Go Baby Go!

The newest addition to the Ford family is a 99' Mustang GT 4.6L

kota on 20s 04-24-2002 12:22 AM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

>One thing i've noticed is that it takes 500hp V-10 from
>dodge to keep up with a 385hp V-8 from Ford, come on.

LMAO!! KEEP UP??!! the dodge runs 12.9's stock! last i heard the lighnings were running in the 13.8 range. and thats in a SUPERCHARGED truck. the dodge is almost a full second quicker.

if/when viper tuners get there hands on a srt10, WHATCH OUT! john's twin turbo viper is sitting at about 1,100 RWHP.

MustangGT221 04-24-2002 09:03 AM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

Yeah but, there is a huge horsepower difference, i'm trying to say that the ford gets the power down a little better then the dodge, obviously its faster i didnt mean it that way, alil typo error.

Primary rig is:
95' F-150 EB 300/6 5 spd with 4" Superlift, MSD, Ram Air, Gibson Exhaust, 32" BFG Muds
NEW PICS IN MY GALLERY!! :-)

Then theres:
88' F-250 Superduty 351 + c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 and a
3 spd column shifter. Top speed, 65mph, Go Baby Go!

The newest addition to the Ford family is a 99' Mustang GT 4.6L

sauerf100s 04-24-2002 01:57 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Apr-02 AT 02:59 PM (EST)]Gimmee a freakin' break kota on 20s. Everything you're basing your arguments on is pure speculation. As of yet you are taliking about nothing but a concept truck. When /if it becomes reality, then we shall see. As things have been for years, and as things are now, the Lightning is the King of the sport trucks. As far as the tuners getting teir hands on the Dodge? Well, they already have on the Lightning. The results speak for themselves.

kota on 20s 04-24-2002 09:58 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

you are right. we are both brand loyals, and i just got caught up in all of the "my brand is better than your brand" stuff. sorry about that!

i know how things turn out, sometimes they tease us with thing, then say NO! well ill hope for the best, dodge DOSE need to do something to keep up with the lightning.

sauerf100s 04-24-2002 10:12 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

And I hope you're right about that redesigned Hemi coming out next year. The Hemi was way before it's time to the point of NASCAR banning them because of an unfair advantage over the rest of the cars. I would still stick with my Ford trucks, because I don't care for the looks of the Dodge. But if Dodge came up with a cool looking car with a Hemi and rear wheel drive, I would seriously be interested. I still love the old 60's and 70's Mopar muscle cars. I just can't afford one. I can buy a Lightning cheaper then a restored Charger, Cuda, Challenger, etc. At least we agree on one thing. We don't own a Chevy (unless you count the Chevy engines in my boat).

kota on 20s 04-24-2002 10:43 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

here is some info on the "new" hemi

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

lvstang 04-25-2002 12:40 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

>And I hope you're right about that redesigned Hemi coming
>out next year. The Hemi was way before it's time to the
>point of NASCAR banning them because of an unfair advantage
>over the rest of the cars. I would still stick with my Ford
>trucks, because I don't care for the looks of the Dodge. But
>if Dodge came up with a cool looking car with a Hemi and
>rear wheel drive, I would seriously be interested. I still
>love the old 60's and 70's Mopar muscle cars. I just can't
>afford one. I can buy a Lightning cheaper then a restored
>Charger, Cuda, Challenger, etc. At least we agree on one
>thing. We don't own a Chevy (unless you count the Chevy
>engines in my boat).

NASCAR never really "banned" the hemi. I'll have to find the internet story but NASCAR made Chrysler use a larger body when running the Hemi. The actual motor that was banned was the Ford 427 SOHC. Shortly after, NASCAR mandated smallblocks 'cause the cars were going to darn fast. Of course Bill Elliot in '83(?) went well over 200 in the new aero T-birds with a little 358. Say hello to restrictor plates.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new hemi. I'll be very surprised if it's a true hemispherical chamber. The main advantage of a hemi chamber is LARGE valves because of the dome which really hurts low speed intake velocity and makes for strange piston shapes to get any compression. The 2 plugs would help this I suppose. The power numbers are actually a little weak when compared to a Vette 5.7 and about on par with a cam/bird 5.7.

kota on 20s 04-25-2002 01:02 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

>
>NASCAR never really "banned" the hemi. I'll have to find the
>internet story but NASCAR made Chrysler use a larger body
>when running the Hemi. The actual motor that was banned was
>the Ford 427 SOHC. Shortly after, NASCAR mandated
>smallblocks 'cause the cars were going to darn fast. Of
>course Bill Elliot in '83(?) went well over 200 in the new
>aero T-birds with a little 358. Say hello to restrictor
>plates.

well nascar DID ban the hemi!!! and mopar went over 200mph 13 YEARS before the T-bird!

Pete Hamilton, a little known driver at the time, won the Daytona 500 on Feb. 22, 1970. On March 24, 1970, Buddy Baker broke the 200 mph barrier at 200.447 at Talladega.

In 1971 NASCAR instituted a rule that said a "winged" car -- as the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird were called -- could not have an engine of more than a 305 cubic inches. That rule effectively ended the era of the "winged" cars.

The life of the "winged" cars lasted only three years -- from September 1969 to September 1972 (the last couple of years with the mandated smaller engine), but they left an indelible mark on NASCAR history, especially in the field of aerodynamics

lvstang 04-25-2002 03:02 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

How in the world did we go from banned hemis to winged cars????

I'll retract my banned statement slightly. Yes, the hemi was banned, but only in '65 as were ALL non-production motors. In '66 when chrysler introduced a street version of the 426 hemi it was also raced in NASCAR again. The 207 MPH T-bird even though years later was done with nearly 70 cubes less and no GIANT aero aids.

Around '69(?) before the wings, The Fords were still faster(which is why Petty jumped to Fords for one year) and the big block/winged cars were short lived mostly because of tire technology.

The Ford 427 SOHC was banned IMMEDIATELY.

kota on 20s 04-25-2002 05:01 PM

Dodge's Lightning Killer

well since the datona's and superbirds had hemi's in them, and nascar restricted the engine in them to a 305, dosent mean that they ban'ed the hemi?