Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Shop Manuals, everyone? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/834800-shop-manuals-everyone.html)

Abomination 03-25-2009 01:08 PM

Obviously that's how Ford did it in the first place - just look at the pictures! I mean, all the parts are floating in the air!

The Claycomo plant (where my truck was built) is still operating a few miles down the street, and you should see the parking lot when all the goblins get off work and head to the bar across the street - it's like freakin' Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

~Jason

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 7305012)
Jason,

that front clip is a real fun thing to put together. There are about a gadzillion and one bolts holding it all in place, most of them can only be reached by tiny little goblins. The first step of the process is to hang the grill out in space somehow (I'm not sure how this is done since my magic wand ran out of batteries) and then start bolting everything else to it...no problem

Bobby

bobbytnm 03-25-2009 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 7305182)
Oh come Bobby, it's not that bad. First you hang the inner fender panels and the grill to the radiator support. After that it all goes together. The fun part is taking the old sheet metal off with all of the rusted bolts. I usually remove the 6-8 bolts that hold the clip to the front sheet metal, remove the clip, flip it over and soak everthing with oil. If it doesn't come off with a socket wrench the gas wrench come out.

OK, so I exagerate a bit (just a wee bit). It has been my experience that its often easier to tighten (and break) the old rusted bolts rather than trying to loosen them....lol

Years ago I once removed a grill from a 48 F1 that I found in an old wrecking yard. the truck was at the bottom af a large pile of cars and all I had was a couple of wrenches......it took me forever. It was worth it, The guy charged me $10 for it

Bobby

bobj49f2 03-25-2009 01:47 PM

Whenever I've gone junkyarding I take some basic tools but I always take a sharp chisel and big hammer. I've been able to remove a lot of parts by cutting the metal around the part I want. Don't worry, I don't cut into the surrounding sheet metal unless it's in rough shape. I can't bring myself to chop up good sheet metal, the little that's left.

BTW, this thread has kind of wondered a bit, who cares, we're all just sitting around jawing anyways.

rockher_man 03-25-2009 02:50 PM

Manuals...

...NOW..I understand why the P.O. of my '56 never got much more
than an engine and transmission swap completed...

...don't get me wrong...I am gratefull for that...

When I purchased my '56 Effie...he not only included a stack of
waaaaay outdated catalogs...but also these two manuals...:-missingt...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/100_1604.jpg

...and this one...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/100_1606.jpg

SOOOOO...I picked up THIS ONE on EBay for a few bucks in MINT
condition...I keep it in the house...wrapped in plastic, no less, 'cause
we all know what happens to "garage" manuals...right???

That way I can just copy individul pages to take to the garage IF needed..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/100_1603.jpg

At least this way I know I'm workin' towards getttin' the "right" truck
on the road...8D...

havi 03-25-2009 03:56 PM

Johnny Cash would be proud, lol.

mouse scrolling up and down rather fast on Rusty's collection of manuals, makes it look like they're moving. Weirded me out for a second.

4tl8ford 03-25-2009 04:41 PM

That shouldn't take a lot of effort:)

53OlderThanMe 03-25-2009 05:49 PM

Hey Bob,

I didn't know they were printing books back in the old days when these trucks were made.

J/K

Rusty_S 03-25-2009 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by havi (Post 7305973)
Johnny Cash would be proud, lol.

mouse scrolling up and down rather fast on Rusty's collection of manuals, makes it look like they're moving. Weirded me out for a second.

lol didnt know that till I tried it. Thats just a small section of my personal "library". Theres still 10 or 15 hardcover books from my day of being a streetmachine member as well as magazine holders.

God I need to find a place to move those magazines, would open up room for getting more manuals.

havi 03-25-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford (Post 7306142)
That shouldn't take a lot of effort:)

Never does, lol.

fatfenders 03-25-2009 06:53 PM

Am I the only one whose truck is so highly modified, that the shop manual is nothing more than a coffee table book? I bought mine almost 10 years ago and it is in pristine condition. It has been about as useful as a Steven King novel for assembling my truck.

Julies Cool F1 03-25-2009 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 7305516)
Whenever I've gone junkyarding I take some basic tools but I always take a sharp chisel and big hammer. I've been able to remove a lot of parts by cutting the metal around the part I want. Don't worry, I don't cut into the surrounding sheet metal unless it's in rough shape. I can't bring myself to chop up good sheet metal, the little that's left.

BTW, this thread has kind of wondered a bit, who cares, we're all just sitting around jawing anyways.

Ah the old junkyard days! I remember them well. I used to put on one of dads old flight suits and drive to Sacremento (from Berkley) to go out and take parts off any new F-100 carcass the might have dragged in. There was no e-bay and there was no internet. Good Old Preston was down in San Jose and he was the guy you had to deal with for repro parts.

Those days are gone forever! No more junkyards, now we have "Auto Recycling Stores." So, if you want to find a part, it's gone "California Style" here.

Once you get past the telephone answering system, press one for English, then 2 for parts, then 1 for Ford, then 2 for trucks, then 3 for pre 1970, you finnaly get teh receptionist and she makes an appointment for you to stop in.

When you arrive, you check in and while youare waiting for the parts counselor, they serve late and cuppacino - a nice touch - while you watch their video presentation of "Recycled Parts Stories" narrated by Cal Worthington.

If you ordered the deluxe visit you can get a massage, manicure, or envigorating facial - but that's mostly for the Volvo people. No frills for me.

Finally you are walked to the counselors office and after updating your personal, insurance, and credit info, you discuss the parts you need with the counselor. He calls down to the order desk and while Miguele is computer serching for the part you need in their vast inventory, you get to mingle with other customers and are encouraged to share your personal experiences in restoration. I usually just sit and listen to the piano music and tip th eguy a couple bucks to play my favorites if I'm waiting for a while.

Finally the part is here. It's dirty, rusty and gunky like they always were, but now there is a tag on it that cautions you about the part perhaps containing chemicals or metals "known by the State of California to cause cancer." If it's an electrical part there is usually a warning about touching your tongue to the part while it is energized.

And lastly the bill. It's gotten tougher, but most of our folks here offer 24 month same as cash financing on that little switch you need. How convenient is that? There is of course a $25 fee for the credit check.

So you pay the check and the 20% gratuity, leave with your parts all clean and refreshed - very nice.

Well it doesn't fit so you call to return it. They only accept returns on new merchandise - if it's used no go.

Only in Southern California!