Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Transmission won't go into park (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/833981-transmission-wont-go-into-park.html)

propaneman 03-22-2009 06:05 PM

Transmission won't go into park

This issue started about 4 hours ago. I drive a PSD X. Again, never had this issue b4. Last night it snowed probably 6 inches and today it is warm. So I get out of church and drive to my parents. On the way I played in the slush. I hit massive puddles, drove through soft wet snow clumps on the road etc. The X is filthy. There is that brown (from the salt on the road) slush stuff everywhere. There was a traffic jam so I jumped one curb. Not a big deal. I get to my parents house and go to put it in drive and it won't go. reverse is as far as it goes. I try to push harder and it clicked over with a struggle as if it was in park yet it was still in reverse. So I decidice to come to school and get it underground to thaw. I went and cheched it a second ago and now that it is warm, it goes in to park with much less of a fight. Now when it sits in park, its not in reverse! Its in a neutral of some sort. It rolls freely. Not sure what to make of this.

Billy

moto4 03-22-2009 08:09 PM

My guess would be the brake light switch, located on the pedal. It has a safety connection in it that will not let the trans shift, if it is not activated.

wallz 03-23-2009 12:21 AM

Hahaha, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one that plays in that thick slush.
I think it might be the cable loosening off at the tranny connection. Especially with you trying to shift it in and out, and having to force it some. With all that cold slush and snow, some might have been able to lodge and freeze in that area. Crawl under and make sure it is clear, and u will also see the linkage on the drivers side on the tranny. I would check there first.

Rickx 04-11-2009 01:44 PM

You've probably fixed you're problem by now, but... I had the same problem but was very lucky when it started. A screw fell out onto my foot. I found where on the steeing yoke it had come from, put some locktite on it and problem solved.

Excursion4X4 04-11-2009 07:56 PM

Look at the tranny shift point. I go with the cable has frozen. Thaw it out and probably be ok.

:-X01

CanadianSmokie 04-11-2009 11:04 PM

Same thing happened to me twice... the slush/ice builds up around the shift linkage on the side of the tranny preventing it from going into Park. Either physically get underneath and dislodge the ice or let it thaw....

carmk 04-18-2009 08:50 PM

Here is why I love this site...

Had this same problem yesterday when I got home from work. We have been pounded in the last 24 hours with constant snow in Denver so I had been driving in some deep snow and slush. I pulled into the driveway and the truck would not go into park. I could get it into reverse, but the selector would not go all the way over to P. I immediatly began to be concerned because the week earlier the truck was in the dealer for transmission problems (3 selenoids needed replaced). Frustrated I came into the house and then remembered that I had seen this thread. I immediately searched for it and when I saw all of the comments felt much better. The truck sat in the garage for a few hours, warmed up, and then easily went into park. What a relief.:-X05

I am glad to be part of this forum.

Rickx 04-18-2009 09:38 PM

I agree. This site is great. It's funny how I had the same thing happen and is was a bolt that had fallen out from the steering column. I'm in Franktown, CO and through the years have driven through some deep snow. I've never had a problem with this. But I will know one more tip, if it does happen.