Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   6.0 rough start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/833535-6-0-rough-start.html)

sethjamto 03-21-2009 11:56 AM

6.0 rough start

I have noticed that since my oil change a hundred miles ago that I am having REAL rough starts when she has sat overnight. It cranks right up but shakes the entire truck and idles at less than 500rpm for the first 15 seconds or so, then smooths out and idles up to normal speed and seems fine. This only started after my most recent oil change.

Whats the deal? I'm running Rotella T as normal and did nothing different. Like I said, after 15 or so seconds, she is fine, and I can shut her down and start her up 4-5 hours later and she is fine. Its only after about a 10+ hour sit that she does this.

texan2004 03-21-2009 12:09 PM

I am having the same problem. I suspect something is dirty but I haven't had an opportunity to dig into it yet. I too would be interested in knowing what causes this. I doubt it is the glow plugs. Here in Houston, it stays pretty warm even in the winter. I have well in excess of 100K miles on the truck and I've always started it just like a gas engine (not waiting for the glow plug light to go out) and it has always started right up. Mine started doing this back in the fall when it got cold (At least for us - less than 70*F outside). Waiting on the glow plug light to go out before starting doesn't seem to do anything to help the problem. Problem is certainly worse the colder it is outside. This morning it was 69*F when I started it and there was no problem. If it gets much below that, I ahve the problem but as stated in the initial post, it is only when the truck has been sitting overnight. It can sit 4-5 hours and there is no problem.

BPofMD 03-21-2009 04:15 PM

I too am running Rotella, but I'm using the 5W40 synthetic and have had no such problem.... yes, the diesel knocks much louder in winter than in summer, but that is just the nature of the beast! If you are using premium oil - whether organic OR synthetic and change it every 3-5,000 miles (without oil analysis), you'll be fine!

texan2004 03-21-2009 05:03 PM

I really do not think this is an oil problem.

mando9179 03-21-2009 06:00 PM

hello,
i am new to the site, but i'll try to help

be sure to check your oil level and make sure that it is right.....i am not saying that this is YOUR problem, but oil CAN have something to do with this, if you are familiar with the "hughie" injection on these trucks and the mere fact that the oil is used a a hydraulic fluid via the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) to drive your injectors, making oil level critical

-----------------------------------------------------------
05 f350 SRW 4x4, 6" pro comp lift, 20x10 ICE metal wheels, bullydog triple dog, on-board air comp w/2 1/2gal res, and hadley air horn

sethjamto 03-21-2009 06:21 PM

The oil level is fine, so that is not the problem. I had no problems back in the middle of winter with starting, and we had temps well below zero a lot. During those times, I would plug her in overnight and she would start fine and smooth. I did, though, have a very similar rough start after she sat for about 8 hours at work not plugged in and the high temp that day hit maybe zero. This new problem seems very similar. This morning when she did it it was about 31 degrees out and not plugged in overnight...no need at that temp. She seemed to start smoother with it colder prior to the oil change. Maybe the oil change is just a coincidence, but it seems as though that is when it started doing this.

rnolloth 03-21-2009 07:47 PM

:-bangheadIt sounds like injectors.I had the same problem with mine.

cinebar2 03-21-2009 08:13 PM

rnolloth

my 03 has just started with these probems. i have 82k on the motor and i have suspected an injector or two going bad. what was the fix for yours?

FlyCanadianGuy 03-22-2009 12:03 AM

Same with mine, im PRAYING its a CHEAP glow-plug issue as im out of warranty. Please DONT BE INJECTORS!!! BTW, anyone know where you can give sacrifices to the injector gods?

rnolloth 03-22-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by cinebar2 (Post 7290661)
rnolloth

my 03 has just started with these probems. i have 82k on the motor and i have suspected an injector or two going bad. what was the fix for yours?

Well i replaced 4 injectors that i had codes for.And the other 4 srated adting up within a month so i replaced them as well.If you get on ebay there is a place called Pensacola diesel that sells them for 150 a piece and you get 30 days to send the cores back.Also replace the glow plugs while your doing the injectors you can find them on ebay for like 60 bucks plus shipping.Goos luck let us know.

zed326 03-22-2009 08:40 AM

my 05 with 92000 on it is doing the same thing but it runs ruff till the temp goes to 186 then it runs fine cleaned the egr a few weeks back but it did not change anything?

rnolloth 03-22-2009 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by zed326 (Post 7292001)
my 05 with 92000 on it is doing the same thing but it runs ruff till the temp goes to 186 then it runs fine cleaned the egr a few weeks back but it did not change anything?

Mine was the same way the only way to fix it is replace injectors.I tried the hot shot secrets stuff.It didnt help me a bit but i know it has helped others.Just my 2 cents.As i posted before you can get injectors on ebay from pensacola diesel for 150 a piece and you gat 30 days to send the cores back.And they work great in my truck and come with a year warranty.

RogerKeyte 03-22-2009 02:30 PM

I had a similar problem here in Houston it cost me one new injector and a new ERV (exhaust recycle valve?) It hasrun great since.

msgtg 03-22-2009 04:12 PM

LOL...to fix the problem...plug it in overnight, or for a couple of hours before you start the truck.

Mine is an 03 with 85K on it now. I plug her in anytime the temps drop below 40 degrees. Stop and apply logic to this. When the temps drop that oil will get thicker (I use the Rotella 15w40) which puts a strain on your entire starting system as well as the motor parts. Around here it's not unusual to get down to 5 to 10 degrees. When I plug the truck in, it starts just like it was 80 degrees outside...fast start, no smoke, no knock/rough idle.

There have been times that I've had to leave the truck for a couple of days at the airport. When I've come back, of course the truck hasn't been plugged in and it takes much longer for the glow plug light to go out and when the truck starts....smoke, knock, rough idle....heck she sounds downright terrible! If anyone is around when I've had to start it like that I just know they think that I've blown it up.

BUT, as was mentioned above, once it runs for 3 or 4 minutes, she smooths right out. And yes, it only happens when it's been cold soaked. If you run it and start it 3 or 4 hours later, she'll start right up.

Save yourself an ulcer...plug the truck in. It'll also make your starter and batteries last a lot longer!

Joe

rnolloth 03-22-2009 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by msgtg (Post 7293344)
LOL...to fix the problem...plug it in overnight, or for a couple of hours before you start the truck.

Mine is an 03 with 85K on it now. I plug her in anytime the temps drop below 40 degrees. Stop and apply logic to this. When the temps drop that oil will get thicker (I use the Rotella 15w40) which puts a strain on your entire starting system as well as the motor parts. Around here it's not unusual to get down to 5 to 10 degrees. When I plug the truck in, it starts just like it was 80 degrees outside...fast start, no smoke, no knock/rough idle.

There have been times that I've had to leave the truck for a couple of days at the airport. When I've come back, of course the truck hasn't been plugged in and it takes much longer for the glow plug light to go out and when the truck starts....smoke, knock, rough idle....heck she sounds downright terrible! If anyone is around when I've had to start it like that I just know they think that I've blown it up.

BUT, as was mentioned above, once it runs for 3 or 4 minutes, she smooths right out. And yes, it only happens when it's been cold soaked. If you run it and start it 3 or 4 hours later, she'll start right up.

Save yourself an ulcer...plug the truck in. It'll also make your starter and batteries last a lot longer!

Joe

Plugging it in helps but when you have injector trouble it doesnt matter the truck will still run bad.Unfortunately i know after 8 injectors.:-banghead