Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Took Roof Rack off have ?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/832294-took-roof-rack-off-have.html)

carbonmetallic 03-17-2009 11:35 AM

Took Roof Rack off have ??

Well last night I took my roof rack off my 07 expedition. My truck is leveled out and has 33 in tires so it sits high enough without the 4 in roof rack on top. My wife borrowed my exp, and parked in a parking garage bending the roof rack on the passenger side, so I figured just take the thing off, rarely used it anyways.

Now I have four bolts up top, of course I used plumbers tape when screwing them back in to prevent water from leaking in, my question is....does anyone know of some flat inserts that I could screw in to the holes instead of the curved hex nut screws, that way they wouldnt stick up so much.

They are only sticking up about 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch, not that big of a deal, but I am tall enough to notice them up there.

carlos1212 03-17-2009 10:13 PM

Don't get mad at me, but I hate it when people take off their roof rack. You are making your expedition look like a mini van. Now, I don't think you would like to be seen driving a minivan right? Why not buy some from a Lincoln Navigator they are sweet looking, and come in chrome. You might want to try a junk yard.

Pilgrim 03-17-2009 10:49 PM

Carbon:
I'd like to take the rack off my '08 too. Can't be doing anything for noise or mileage, I don't want/need it, and don't like the look. (And I can easily tell an Expy from a minivan!:-D) Is that all that's left - 4 bolts? I'll have to do that soon. Thanks.
Pilgrim

carbonmetallic 03-18-2009 11:27 AM

easy to take off and remove,

Misstated, 4 bolts per side, you will need a hex screwdriver to take them out. The front and rear of the rack has a black plastic cover that snaps on and off, snap it off to uncover the two hex screws on the front and back. The middle support is attached by sliding(locking - snapping) over the two screws in the center, that appear to not be removable, havent had a chance to spend a little more time on it.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim (Post 7275721)
Carbon:
I'd like to take the rack off my '08 too. Can't be doing anything for noise or mileage, I don't want/need it, and don't like the look. (And I can easily tell an Expy from a minivan!:-D) Is that all that's left - 4 bolts? I'll have to do that soon. Thanks.
Pilgrim

carbonmetallic 03-18-2009 11:40 AM

I'm not mad, but I am pretty sure know one is going to mistake my expedition for a minivan, Considering my expedition is taller even without the roof rack than a 4 wheel drive superduty, so that is a mute point in my book. It actually looks pretty good without the rack...sleaker looking. I wasnt a big fan of the rack anyways.....its stands up way too high off the truck, not very aerodynamic by anymeans, and is covered in cheap plastic. Look at the rack on the tahoe and yukon, much more aerodynamic and lower profile, yet it still accomplishes the same thing. Personally if I was you I would be more worried about you driving around the mom mobile around town. Your expedition has no personality...it looks like all the other ones one the road, pretty sure it has the 2-3 in drop in the front..stand back on level ground and see the 2 inch factory rake job.

As far as the navigator rack goes, it is a joke too. It is fake chrome just like the fake chrome clad 20" rims that ford used on the expedition. Its the same exact rack as the expedition (plastic) with a cheap chrome finish on it. I am not big on chrome finishings on plastic. Look at the grille on your expedition the chrome is probably already pitting from either bugs or water. I am not adding anymore cheap components to my truck its already got plenty from factory.

Originally Posted by carlos1212 (Post 7275576)
Don't get mad at me, but I hate it when people take off their roof rack. You are making your expedition look like a mini van. Now, I don't think you would like to be seen driving a minivan right? Why not buy some from a Lincoln Navigator they are sweet looking, and come in chrome. You might want to try a junk yard.

carlos1212 03-18-2009 12:09 PM

of course you can tell the difference. I'm just saying it looks incomplete with out the racks and looks funny whenever I see expeditions with out the racks. yes I wish ford would stop using fake chrome, but I would rather have 20'' chrome instead of 17'' aluminum wheels. I am not a fan of too much chrome either.
take a look at my photo album, my expedition has chrome roof racks.

Parts Guy Wyatt 03-18-2009 01:17 PM

The chrome is not fake, it is merely applied to plastic or aluminum, not steel. Dan

carbonmetallic 03-18-2009 02:42 PM

If its not fake why is it bubbling up on my front expedition grille?....maybe not fake chrome....but cheap chrome. Those Ford 20" rims are chrome clad. Chromed plastic on top of a base steel wheel. Basically glueing a chromed plastic hub cap on a wheel and charging like $1200 bucks for it.

On my expedition when I was looking it over I opted to switch to the 17 in wheels. If I wanted 20" wheels on my truck I can find some for alot less than ford wanted plus they will look a hell of alot better.

I think ford got alot of s h i t over those wheels because the 09 F150 doesnt have them, they have higher quality looking ones.

Originally Posted by y2kfordparts (Post 7277380)
The chrome is not fake, it is merely applied to plastic or aluminum, not steel. Dan