Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Wierd Steering Problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/825068-wierd-steering-problem.html)

dgsone 02-24-2009 07:37 AM

Wierd Steering Problem

I just replaced the ball joints in my 01 f250SD 4x4. Now I have this steering issue. It's not really a wander but when driving and you turn a corner it does not seem to want to come back straight and once it does it seems to want to go the other direction. Sometimes it will correct it's self and drive fine. does anyone out there have any suggestions?? I have been chasing this problem ever since it put the ball joints in. Thanks

Moto52 02-24-2009 07:50 AM

Have you ever changed your front axle shaft U joints?? if not they will sieze up and cause very strange steering problems.

dgsone 02-24-2009 08:03 AM

No I have not. That was what I was leaning toward. Do you have any recommendations for the U-Joints. Thanks

bubbasz1 02-24-2009 08:06 AM

Play with the U joints first see if you can tell if they are seized, could be the Ball Joints just need to be broken in a little, some are stiff when new.

dgsone 02-24-2009 08:39 AM

As far as I know the U-joints are originals. Sounds like that may be my problem

brian42 02-24-2009 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 7182397)
Play with the U joints first see if you can tell if they are seized, could be the Ball Joints just need to be broken in a little, some are stiff when new.

x2. I'm coming up on some ball joint work and most of what I've read has said it takes some time to break in the new joints. I don't know what brand you use but some have said it takes 1-2K miles before it loosens up and rides nice...

Beerstalker 02-24-2009 01:12 PM

Yes it has been talked about a few times especially with the MOOG joints. They start off a little stiff and take a while to break in, then the steering will return to normal.

dchamberlain 02-24-2009 01:17 PM

If you have the problem with the front hubs unlocked, I don't see how it could be the front axle u-joints.

Sooper-Doodie 02-24-2009 01:56 PM

I just did the same job you did, I have stiffness in the steering also. This is due to the ball joints being stiff-as-hell. They will wear in, just bear with it.

I called MOOG a week ago and they stated that the joints are made with tesion to promote better break-in.

Sooper-Doodie 02-24-2009 02:01 PM

BTW: there are some things you can do to combat the stiff steering.

1. find a nice, quiet country road, drive slowly and steer the living hell out of it. Mine felt pretty good after about 5 miles of steering-craziness.

2. Jack the truck up and pump more grease into the joints.

3. Remove your steering stabilizer for a little while until the joints wear in. It will make the stiffness less harsh.

In the end, they will wear in. I have about 200 miles on mine now and they are a little stiff still.

bubbasz1 02-24-2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by dchamberlain (Post 7183710)
If you have the problem with the front hubs unlocked, I don't see how it could be the front axle u-joints.

Actually that's not correct, even with the hubs unlocked if the front U joint spins at all and ends up so when you turn the seized joint won't want to let the wheel turn or return until it is forced to move(hence the hard turning pressure) or it spins ever so slightly so it will turn. Unless it is frozen in both directions and if that's the case it will give your steering fits.

Sooper-Doodie 02-24-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 7184382)
Actually that's not correct, even with the hubs unlocked if the front U joint spins at all and ends up so when you turn the seized joint won't want to let the wheel turn or return until it is forced to move(hence the hard turning pressure) or it spins ever so slightly so it will turn. Unless it is frozen in both directions and if that's the case it will give your steering fits.

Actually, it is correct as there is NO mechanical link driving the axle shaft when the hubs are unlocked, just friction. Any motion from the knuckle is either going to cause the u-joint to slow down or speed up to get past the "binding" point.

If the u-joint is siezed, the axle shaft will adjust speed when the knuckle is moved as its not mechanically connected in the hub if the hub is unlocked. All in all, if the hubs are verified "unlocked" you won't feel any feedback from them if they are siezed or not unless it's in 4x4.

bubbasz1 02-25-2009 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sooper-Doodie (Post 7184474)
Actually, it is correct as there is NO mechanical link driving the axle shaft when the hubs are unlocked, just friction. Any motion from the knuckle is either going to cause the u-joint to slow down or speed up to get past the "binding" point.

If the u-joint is seized, the axle shaft will adjust speed when the knuckle is moved as its not mechanically connected in the hub if the hub is unlocked. All in all, if the hubs are verified "unlocked" you won't feel any feedback from them if they are seized or not unless it's in 4x4.

Sorry but I don't agree, if the joint is seized it will hold up the turning of the hub because it is going through the hub, supported by bearings. If it is stuck in position by a frozen joint when you try to turn against the frozen position it will play havoc with your steering. Had the problem on my ex Bronco, if the seized joint turned at all it would grossly affect how straight the truck went and how it turned.

cowboyup1988 02-25-2009 10:59 AM

i had the same steering problem. it pulled be left of center then i corrected it but then it threw me off the road into a damn ditch. no damage to the truck or anything but i drove it to the dealership and told them to fix it. it turned out to be the front U-joints were bad and they replaced both sides. that's what you need to do is replace your front U-joints ASAP.

dchamberlain 02-25-2009 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 7186754)
Sorry but I don't agree, if the joint is seized it will hold up the turning of the hub because it is going through the hub, supported by bearings. If it is stuck in position by a frozen joint when you try to turn against the frozen position it will play havoc with your steering. Had the problem on my ex Bronco, if the seized joint turned at all it would grossly affect how straight the truck went and how it turned.

While I would agree that a front axle u-joint COULD be so frozen as to make it difficult to turn the wheel, I find it highly unlikely that one would be so. If it were, engaging 4WD would likely be a bit catastrophic, and that problem would have been discovered by now.