Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Second Battery Location in a V-10 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/822251-second-battery-location-in-a-v-10-a.html)

6686L 02-17-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 7154033)
........with some of the ludicrous statements he makes, .....Stewart

ADMITTEDLY OFF-TOPIC ON THIS PARTICULAR THREAD

WHICH IS 'FASTER'...GASSER OR DIESEL...?

First of all, NO question that the diesel engines in the EX produce FAR more raw power than my V-10 gasoline engine could. However, the V-10, being a relatively "short-stroke" motor, probably has a MUCH higher rpm limit than the diesels.

As to drag racing, my guess is the greater torque at lower speeds would mean the "diesel' could "jump" my gasser V-10 "off the line". The greater rpm range of the gasser MAY mean the gasser EX would catch up to the diesel in short order.

As to "flat out" top speed - of course in THEORY the diesel should also win hands down. Its MUCH greater raw power would give it the ability to shove our monsters thru ever - increasing air resistance that would eventually limit the top speed of the gasser EX.

Trouble, the "highest" (meaning lowest numerical) rear axle ratio avail. is a 3.73. (That's what mine has). Assuming the diesel in this hypothetical "flat out" race has the same ratio, it is going to run out of rpm at a given speed before the gasser does (this is presuming that both the overdrive ratios in the transmissions of the gasser automatic and the diesel automatic work out to be approx. the same (roughly 70% ?).

So I think it is safe to say that the gasser is going to be capable of a higher top speed than the diesel, all other things being equal.

Stewart_H 02-17-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 6686L (Post 7154397)
So I think it is safe to say that the gasser is going to be capable of a higher top speed than the diesel, all other things being equal.

The problem is, that's not what you posted. And that's not what I'm calling you out on.

In this thread, you stated, "(dont you diesel guys try and keep up with me when I am running "empty"...! )"

And in the other thread, you stated, "On those rare occasions when I am using my EX WITHOUT a trailer, I dont think ANY of you diesel guys would want to lay any bets that they could keep up with me if I was so inclined NOT to act my age.....!"

You didn't talk about, "which is faster...gasser or diesel?" You talked about ANY diesel being able to keep up with YOUR V10.

You didn't talk about which engine makes more "raw power" or which engine has a "higher RPM limit." You talked about ANY diesel being able to keep up with YOUR V10.

You didn't talk about "top speed." You talked about ANY diesel being able to keep up with YOUR V10.

Well, I fit in that category of "any diesel," and while bench racing on the internet is laughs, based solely on how you've described your rig, it's a really safe bet (read: sure thing) the only chance you'd have in beating my Excursion in a race is if I break down.

As to drag racing, my guess is the greater torque at lower speeds would mean the "diesel' could "jump" my gasser V-10 "off the line". The greater rpm range of the gasser MAY mean the gasser EX would catch up to the diesel in short order.
In short order?

ROTFLMAO! What do you consider short order?

A 1/4 mile goes by fairly quickly, even in our oversized beasts, and if you think your rig can catch "any" diesel within that quarter mile, based on your beliefs, you're wrong.

My Excursion is still pulling hard at the end of a quarter-mile, and you wouldn't stand a chance.

So, to correct your line of thinking when it comes to "any of us diesel guys" being able to "Keep up with you," it's a sure thing you wouldn't be able to keep up with me.

Stewart

f-250 ford 02-17-2009 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by RACERX7775 (Post 7153792)
Attachment 13372

Attachment 13373

Attachment 13374

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=200276&.jpg

here ya go.... been there done that... wrangler offroad makes a perfect fit kit for the v10 excursion and super duty trucks.

Do you have a link to where I could get that dual alt kit for a v10. I just started a thread in the v10 forum for how people are running 2 alts.

Monsta 02-17-2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 6686L (Post 7154397)
However, the V-10, being a relatively "short-stroke" motor,

Actually the V10 has a LONGER stroke that the 7.3L and is only .02" shorter than the 6.0L.

Most stock V10s gassers will take a stock PSD off the line (with the same tranny) until the PSD builds boost.

The 7.3L & the V10 were closely matched. The 6.0L will out hustle the V10 once on the boost

Dual alternators are cool. So are dual batteries.

However, internet duels are no fun. :-duel1

shadowdd 02-18-2009 12:03 AM

Well, for a list of electronics, here goes:

Alpine IVA-D901 head unit
Alpine NVE-872A GPS unit
Alpine PXA-H701 Dolby Digital Processor
Alpine HCE-100 XM Nav Traffic / Weather reciever
Alpine XM tuner
Alpine single din center channel with Focal components built in
JL Audio 10w-6 sub woofers
Alpine 5-channel MRV-F450 V12 series amplifier
JL audio G17000 mono amp
Directed Electronis 8 inch overhead screens
Alpine TME M580 - LCD monitors
Alpine DHA-S690 6-disc DVD changer
Alpine CHA-S634 CD/MP3 changer
Saave reverse camera
Trailer alarm when hooked up.
120g iPod with Proprietary cable and pro-clip dash mount
Python 990 2-Way Security System
Python Remote start system
Python GPS tracking module
Python Alram back up battery
Stinger 220 amp alternator
Tracvision A5 Directv tracking satellite
twin viair 480c air compressors @ 170PSI
There is also about 25 -30 lights that come on when I open the doors.

It's late and I am sure I am missing a few items but gives you the majority of it.

As for why, l just wanted a little more off time without drawing down one battery so far that the alternator is over worked to charge it back up.

Bryan

6686L 02-18-2009 12:13 PM

:-hijacked

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 7154883)
. . . . In this thread, you stated, "(dont you diesel guys try and keep up with me when I am running "empty"...! )" . . . . . . the only chance you'd have in beating my Excursion in a race is if I break down. . . . . . . .

Stewart

= = = = = = =

= = = = = =

Hi Again Stewart !

You are probably right ! Monsta's post" reminded me of something I should know, but just plain forgot. TURBO CHARGERS ! Is it correct that all EX's that have diesel motors have TURBO-CHARGERS ?

If that is correct, you are right - i havn't got a chance up here in the mountain west - loaded or un-loaded, for the simple reason that at these altitudes (over 5,000 ft) my normally aspirated V-10 can't possibly keep up with a turbo-charged vehicle.

Hey..wait a sec...have you "hot-rodded" yours ? If Monsta is correct, there are SOME conditions I COULD give you a run for your money..that is..if you are "bone stock". You have "tricked up" your diesel..? No fair! See...with a little sheet metal work I could stuff a GM Allison or Packard-Merlin V-12 (about 1,600 cu. in) that have "two stage" super-chargers...and...and.....:-offtopicOo.

Monsta 02-18-2009 12:27 PM

Yeah...then you'd need dual batteries!

6686L 02-18-2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Monsta (Post 7157089)
Yeah...then you'd need dual batteries!

= = =

Naw - I'd just charge up my existing battery with some of that superior "diesel" electricity....Oo.

Stewart_H 02-19-2009 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by 6686L (Post 7157019)
= = = = = = =

= = = = = =

Hi Again Stewart !

:-wink

You are probably right ! Monsta's post" reminded me of something I should know, but just plain forgot. TURBO CHARGERS ! Is it correct that all EX's that have diesel motors have TURBO-CHARGERS ?
:rolleyes:

If that is correct, you are right - i havn't got a chance up here in the mountain west - loaded or un-loaded, for the simple reason that at these altitudes (over 5,000 ft) my normally aspirated V-10 can't possibly keep up with a turbo-charged vehicle.
5000 above or 500 below, it doesn't matter because you never qualified your statement. You merely implied a diesel Excursion...ANY diesel Excursion..couldn't keep up with your V10 powered Excursion.

Hey..wait a sec...have you "hot-rodded" yours ? If Monsta is correct, there are SOME conditions I COULD give you a run for your money..that is..if you are "bone stock". You have "tricked up" your diesel..? No fair! See...with a little sheet metal work I could stuff a GM Allison or Packard-Merlin V-12 (about 1,600 cu. in) that have "two stage" super-chargers...and...and.....:-offtopicOo.
Oh my stars and garters!! You're saying it's no fair that I "hot-rodded" my diesel! You're saying it's no fair I'm comparing my "tricked up" diesel to your gasser! You're trying to say if I was "bone stock," THEN you could give me a run for my money!

Nice try, but you fail.

You make all encompassing statements that are misleading, fail to qualify your statements (bone stock vs. bone stock), yet you'll still challenge "ANY diesel owner" to try and keep up with you. Then when I call you out, suddenly I'm being unfair? All because I deign to put you in your place with my tricked out, hot rodded diesel?

ROTFLMAO!

Ken, you're so very right brah! This guy can be VERY entertaining!!

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

Stewart

Sooper-Doodie 02-19-2009 08:17 AM

I'll race any of the diesel owners here at any time. Towing, not towing, whatever.

Just allow me to even the playing field by adding a turbocharger and intercooler to my V10 and then we'll race.

Without the turbo, your diesels would be slugs.

6686L 02-19-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sooper-Doodie (Post 7160769)
. . . . .Just allow me to even the playing field by adding a turbocharger and intercooler to my V10 and then we'll race. . . . . . . Without the turbo, your diesels would be slugs.

SHAME on you Sooper...have you no sensitivity...NOW you've done it...humiliated the guy! You are SOO cruel. You mean, you didn't figure it out ? This poor fellow's WHOLE LIFE is wrapped up in whether his EX is faster than your EX or mine. Now you've gone and suggested that SOMEWHERE out there, there MIGHT be an EX that is faster than his - how do you expect the poor fellow to sleep at night.?

:-offtopic:-X17

Stewart_H 02-19-2009 04:15 PM

Without the turbo, your diesels would be slugs.

Brother, lemme tell you something, even WITH the turbo, my Excursion felt like a slug! It wan't until I got Jody to send me his F5 chip with some custom tunes that the thing came alive and could actually get out of it's own way.

Why Ford decided to have such a large margin of safety when it came to the tuning of these rigs is beyond me. They left a TON of power on the table that is easily tapped with a good custom tune from Jody or Tony Wildman.

As for bolting on a power adder to your gasser, when I was doing research on the V10, in the V10 forum, because I wanted to buy an F250 with the 6.8L (great engine BTW, it just turned out the V10 wasn't my cup of tea with the way the power came on, unfortunately), I came across a number of threads and posts by a member there who has a KB strapped to his beast. Whuuuuuuuu doggie I'd love to see him running at the track!

With the way those engines love to rev, with a stong enough driveline and a trans-brake or line-lock, launching that beasty in the power band would be something to behold!

I'll race any of the diesel owners here at any time. Towing, not towing, whatever.

You sound a lot like me, when it comes to racing.

With my Lightning, I don't care what you have, crotch rocket, twin turbo Z06, or an 8 second Buick Grand National, I'll race ya. I don't have a chance against them, but it's not the win, it's the fun of racing.

About the only time I'll get a little bit of a smug satisfaction is when some stupid idiot in a stock 4-banger and no power adder talks out of his butt, thinking he can wipe up on a Lightning because it's "just a truck."

I wish KB still made a supercharger for the V10's. There would be a whole lot more V10's out there rockin' the 1/4 mile, that's for sure!

Stewart

Stewart_H 02-19-2009 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 6686L (Post 7160838)
SHAME on you Sooper...have you no sensitivity...NOW you've done it...humiliated the guy! You are SOO cruel. You mean, you didn't figure it out ? This poor fellow's WHOLE LIFE is wrapped up in whether his EX is faster than your EX or mine. Now you've gone and suggested that SOMEWHERE out there, there MIGHT be an EX that is faster than his - how do you expect the poor fellow to sleep at night.?

You think I'm humiliated? :-missingt

I guess it doesn't take much to humiliate you then, if you think that was humiliating to me! 8D

Ken is soooooooooo right!

Make ridiculous statements, get called out on them, try to cry foul ("no fair!") when you realize your mouth wrote checks you can't back up, then when you're put in your place YET AGAIN, you try and change the subject!

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPn...u_fail_013.jpg

Stewart

Stewart_H 02-19-2009 04:46 PM

BTW, Bryan, don't let this _____________ (fill in the blank) stop you from modding your rig however you want or like.

Mods aren't done because they're exclusively needed. Most modifications, by a majority of auto enthusiasts, are done because of a want, not a need.

You don't need to justify your want.

Keep documenting your installation brother. Good job!

Stewart

AltaEx 02-19-2009 09:30 PM

Well, to be honest I'm too lazy to learn a lot of technical details, facts, etc. Geez - I don't even know how most of my own body's systems work let alone how my truck's systems work.

All I know (or more accurately 'believe') is that a second battery might help in cold weather. Though I used to just install battery blankets. It might also buy you some time during periods of storage without having to disconnect the battery.