Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   Lightning vs. Corvette (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8220-lightning-vs-corvette.html)

mocky 05-12-2000 03:28 AM

Lightning vs. Corvette

yea buddy, old fords rule!!! did anyone here happen to catch the article in HOT ROD magazine, they put a lightning up against a corvette, it was a good article but, since we all know that HOT ROD, and most all of the mainstream car & truck magazines are c#*%y bias, i feel they do not tell us of the final verdict. were they too shocked that a truck that weighs in at twice that of the vette, kicks its butt? i think we here know the answer to that.. i think i'll get one of the 2001 models though, hp will jump to 375hp., and it will get its own headlights, taillights, and grille, different to the std f150 stuff, i cant wait... total redesign is slated for 2003, with the new body style, that should be interesting...

abcdefg 05-12-2000 08:45 AM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Yes, I did get a chance to read the article in Hot Rod magazine. Bias or not, the corvette still had a better 1/4 mile time,handled better,and had a much higher top speed. That is the truth, but what do you expect? The lightning is a truck, and there is nothing Ford and SVT can do to change that. The Lightning is the fastest,quickest,and best-handling TRUCK ever made. But it cannot compete with a sports car that costs $10,000+ more. By the way I am not a Ford hater.

65fordmidsize 07-17-2000 09:33 AM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Hmmmm. looks better,,rides better,,and has a big
trunk.
I'll take the lightning any day!!
By the way,I am a chevy hater,,ha ha.

72FordF100 11-04-2000 12:19 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

I just read in a newer Hot Rod mag, that the 2002 Lightning(With 395hp) is suppose to be faster than the Corvette...Should be interesting

ryanstruck 11-22-2000 02:50 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

i don't know about a 2002 lightning packing 395 hp. I do know svt has already released a proto of the 2001. it packs 380 hp. but hey, a stock truck that can be purchased right from the dealer and taken right to the tracks for time trials and beating a corvette..i mean, god, that is awesome!!! sorry chevy, but that prototype of yours, whatever it's called, with all its curves...no match for ford.

fordsajoke 12-21-2000 10:24 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Thier not biased,fords just suck so bad it seems that way to people that don't have the common sense to own a chevrolet.No one would belive a lightning could run with a vette,not even a modified lightning.Now i'm not saying the lightnings aren't fast,they're extremly fast,but were talking about a vette.I owned an 96 vette and its nowere near as fast as a c-5,but it would take any but the most higly modified lightnings.On its worst day 13.80's were common.I raced many times at houston raceway park to see exactly what I coud run,and I know why you ford people get so upset,if I got outran as often as you ford folks do I would be upset too.

hotrodford_88 12-21-2000 11:46 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

He is referring to the new lightnings. Thank you.

"My brother has broken more chevrolet's than he cares to admit, but I on the other hand have only owned one Ford in the time he has owned 4 chevrolet's. hmmmm, coincidence? I think not!
[link:www.geocities.com/hotrodford_88/|Hotrodford_88's Webpage]

[link:www.geocities.com/westlake_vfd/Westlake.html|Westlake VFD Website]

Ultramagdan 12-22-2000 08:06 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Whoop dee doo. You seem pretty proud of the fact that a 'vette can beat a truck (and not by much). How about a real test? Bumper to bumper? The mere fact that a p/u can breath down on a sports car is a significant achievement. But the day a 'vette can out pull a truck with out destroying itself? I await the day.

98 F250LD 4X4

hotrodford_88 12-22-2000 08:10 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 22-Dec-00 AT 09:11 PM (EST)[/font][p]Oo.Hey now that's a test I'd like to see motortrend do! It would be fitting though, a Ford Pulling a Chevy. No one would laugh becuase they know it would be a true unbiased test! Oo.

[link:www.geocities.com/hotrodford_88/|Hotrodford_88's Webpage]

[link:www.geocities.com/westlake_vfd/Westlake.html|Westlake VFD Website]

ford4evr 12-30-2000 06:31 AM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Man, some guys never cease to have a wild imagination! Besides bieng snowed over by Chev you can't even spell! Now as for the Ford Lightning vs the Corvette. With all the work put into a C5 I hope it will do 13's in a 1/4 mile. But for half the price I bought a '99 Lightning which ran low 14's new and after spending a few hundred on a chip, headers, exhaust, and a shift kit, my Lightning is now running very low 13's and I'm still not even close to the price of the C5. By the way.....not meaning to burst your bubble but after helping a friend pick up a load of fence boards from the local lumber yard, on the way to his place we BLEW AWAY a 'vette and still had the lumber in the back after all was said and done. Anytime you want to get a C5 and if you still have money for gas after that come on up and we'll go for a run at the track.

bigtoys 12-31-2000 06:46 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Hey fordsajoke....
I can see why you buy chevy's...or is that Chevrolet still don't get it?
1 You can not spell
2 Comparing a truck to a car is totally ridiculous
3 I have a friend who thought he was smart and bought 7 Chevrolets for his AC business and all been in the shop min. 4 times, as of today, one has been 9 times<- this number will change.
4 GM produces nothing but junk, transmissions definitely
5 Someone needs to blow money, why not you?
So brag as you may, but comparing chevy to Ford is like comparing Diamonds to crystal?

Paul
78 F150 4x4 400 4bbl/C6
98 F150 4x4 offroad < been through pure hell....:-)

diverman 03-15-2001 06:38 AM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Get real you must have "raced" a sick C-5 or it certainly was not a Z08,lets get HP close to the same, and at low speeds 100 or so don't tell me it means as much as to meke the Vette see only tail lights.
Dodge is about to have a new style and they have street iron heads that will prode 400 400+ they say on Hot Rodding TV on TNN on Sunday, so the main deal is that the gov. leaves so nice loophole for putting some hourses in a truck.
And the new 32v push rod 6.0 litre at 325 HP or more now this year in the GM trucks are just finding there footing.
The only special thin truly about the Lightining is the S/C, and the other could un do the whole game over night with just the additon of that.
Also GM whips up on all else like my 99 Cobra,but with a S/C it would be a rocket.
Safe Motoring All !

jzima 03-15-2001 08:44 PM

Lightning vs. Corvette

thank you very much. take away the lightning's supercharger and it's scrap metal just like all other fords. the lighning tops out at 140?? they have to gear it that low just to hang with the vette. and by the way, if you added a s/c to the vette, the lightning wouldn't even see the vette's tail lights it would be so far ahead. and has anybody heard of the new silverado ss? its supposed to make the lighning look even dumber. and remember all, FORD really stands for found on road dead

mike460 03-16-2001 12:10 AM

Lightning vs. Corvette

to fordsajoke and jzima....guess what fellas, the 2001 lightnings are runnin 13.50's in the 1/4...DEAD STOCK(which is faster than 13.80's yer piece corvette runs in case you didn't know). maf, chip, shift kit, and stall converter(and you still don't have anywhere near what you'd have invested in a damn corvette) and they'll run way down in the 12's. a 99 with those mods ran 12.70's all day long in a recent muscle mustangs and fast fords event. and about the silverado ss....is it out? didn't think so. i think yall are still mad cuz the old lightning whipped the 454 ss's ##### when they debuted. i'm proud that ford has such an excellent truck, and i agree with john coletti when he recently told motor trend that he would have had a truck to line up with the lightning in their most recent show, but THERE ISNT ANYTHING OUT THERE TO COMPARE IT TO.
mike

blacklightningf150 03-16-2001 12:58 AM

Lightning vs. Corvette

Just wanted to say that the lightnings a SWEET truck, and the Silverado SS does look good but come on a unibody in a pickup truck ?? the box and cab all one ? get real what are you goona haul in that, spare parts ?? haha, I've got the 5.4L in my 2000 F150 (not the SC) i only dream of it !! but i can beat the same truck in CHEV/DODGE versions of the truck and they dont stand a chance, and im complietly stock (for now) i raced a friend...(back country road) who has a 99' Dodge R/T Extended Cab and beat him (it was close i will admit it) but the point is as some of you have pointed out that "Ford" sucks, well it depends on your preferance and driving ability to win

13.8's stock outa that vette ?? what ? my friends 88' stang stock runs 14.1 on street rubber the vette's gotta have a better time then that...

as for chev/GM id like to see them udate there trucks...there still nothin but square shoe boxes, sure there "more" rounded but that big huge bar across the chev's looks like a huge bandade !! i like square trucks, but they were made 20 yrs ago for a reason, people liked them then, now people like the newer styles, "chev" still thinks its in the past (where they belong)

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND THAT ONLY AN OPINION

F/or
O/rdinary
R/eal
D/iehards

2000 F150 Extended Cab 4x4 Sport, all Black
Head light covers
Tail light covers
"FordmotorSports" sticker in rear window
Stereo upgrade soon need some "thump"