Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   2005 Escape - key question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/821411-2005-escape-key-question.html)

DaveTV 02-13-2009 11:44 AM

2005 Escape - key question

Hi gang, just picked up my 05 XLT - got it private party and the gal only had one key and one "FOB" - I would like to get a backup made ASAP, Is this dealer-only? THX~! :-X0A6

sfcwoodret 02-14-2009 07:42 AM

Dealer or locksmith.

YoGeorge 02-14-2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by DaveTV (Post 7136362)
Hi gang, just picked up my 05 XLT - got it private party and the gal only had one key and one "FOB" - I would like to get a backup made ASAP, Is this dealer-only? THX~! :-X0A6

If the key has a chip in it, it will be dealer or locksmith only. Otherwise, any key place could make you one. I am not sure if they used the chipped keys on the Escape or not.

The fob should be available on the Internet for $20 or less, and instructions to program the fobs are gonna be on the Internet as well. (Don't pay money for the instructions.) You have to have all the fobs with you at one time...I think you flip the ignition switch from off to run 8 times in a row, then press one button on one fob, and you get a click from the locks. Then push one button on the next fob, and you'll get the confirm. I had one fob break, and ordered two more over the Internet for my van.

George

kshaw 02-14-2009 07:11 PM

On the 2006, you will need two keys to program the key, else, you will need to take it the dealers. I just bought the remote and a blank Ford Escape key for $25 on Ebay.

pilot10 02-15-2009 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by DaveTV (Post 7136362)

My wife's 03 has the securilock light on the dash - I believe that means it has a chip in the key. Which means the dealer/locksmith will probably charge an arm & leg for the programming. You need two keys to do the key programming.

If this is the case once you pay to have the second key programmed I suggest buying a third key and programming it yourself. Then if you ever lose one key not only will you have a back-up but you'll also have the ability to program another key yourself.

When programming the keys and/or fobs make sure you program all the ones you have as the original code is wiped out and replaced with a new code.

tim

aj7885 02-17-2009 07:56 PM

Had locksmith with the computer cut and program a second PATS key for 01 Escape. $50.00 and then $20 for the third key. $70 is cheap, as dealer wanted $100 for same work. After you have two programmed keys, you can buy PATS blanks, have the hardware store cut them and program them yourself through Escape ignition.

mesamachine 01-01-2021 06:19 PM

manufactured 06of 05 says its a 06 put a new computer in did key programming sequence door locks cycled though still no crank please helpasap

projectSHO89 01-02-2021 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by mesamachine (Post 19655929)
manufactured 06of 05 says its a 06 put a new computer in did key programming sequence door locks cycled though still no crank please helpasap

You have to re-program the PATS system, also, after replacing the PCM. Otherwise, the now mis-matched system will disable the engine (as yours now is). All you did was program the RKE system.