Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Products (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum66/)
-   -   Home made FIPK for F150 & Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/82090-home-made-fipk-for-f150-and-bronco.html)

89XLTBronco 04-03-2002 01:31 PM

Home made FIPK for F150 & Bronco

Hey guys, every one knows that the FIPK kit for our V8 Bronco's and F150's, 250's and 350's (pn #57-2503) are too expensive. I have a way to make one for about $60.
1 = First you need to order the actuall K&N replacement element for the FIPK which is RF-1012. You can order it from any place that sells K&N filters ($45-$50).

2 = Once you get the filter, take it to a local muffler shop and get two pieces of 3" pipe about 4in in length. The openings in the filter are 3 1/8", so the muffler shop will have to expand the pipe for you. Tuffy sold me the pipes and expanded them for $5.

3 = Next get a Brass 3/8" pipe plug to plug the valve cover vent in the air filter. Use some silicone to just to be safe.

4 = Remove the air box from the truck and cut the bottom asectiondown so that there is only about an inch left all that way around. *Leave room for the valve cover vent though. Also dont cut the cold air induction opening out either, this way you can still get cold air the the filter, plus it will help hold the bottom sectionof the bax in place along with the vent.

5 = Put the bottom section of the air box back in, attach the air filter to the two rubber intake tubes and you have yourself a poor mans FIPK.

You can rig up a bracket and attach it to the fender too, if you think the filter needs more suport.
Check my gallery, i will post some pics there shortly so you can see what i did. Hope it works out... :-X22

Bob_VT 04-05-2002 02:42 PM

Good Job I suggest you submit this to the "Webmaster" Ken Payne and request it be included in the tech gallery.

Bob

garyda 04-06-2002 11:27 PM

Could you tell much difference after you put this on your truck???
I was planning on buying one of the FIPK kits.

89XLTBronco 04-07-2002 11:03 AM

I never had a chance to drive it with just the Filter. I did the exhaust and the filter mods all at the same time. If i were you i would either try to design your own FIPK as i did, or just replace the stock filter element with a K&N replacment. You will probably only gain 5-8hp and at $180 its not a good value. I did a lot of research, because i too was interested in purchasing the kit from K&N but many people were not satisified with their purchase. I built mine for about $60 and i sure if performs just as the K&N kit does. Just not as pretty.

pilot10 04-09-2002 02:57 PM

Don't think your set is less pretty than the K&N. Some of the kits look pretty good. The one for the F150 looks almost homemade as it is. I ordered the whole kit to avoid getting that homemade look and I was disappointed. Had I known it would look this way I would have built one myself. However the kit did have one important thing I'm not sure you mentioned in your description(and I can't see your post until I finish this reply) and that is a bracket that attatches to a stud on the front of the drivers side of the engine. All the bracket does is support the intake tube and filter.

Tim

93_F150 04-12-2002 08:31 PM

Did you use the K&N stocke replacement air filter or the replacement for the FIPK on that? Also, did you adapt those rubber hoses? My '93 has an almost identical setup except the tubes on mine look like duct tube and seem like they would make a lot of turbulance.
Good idea, thanks for sharing it :-X20

89XLTBronco 04-14-2002 04:51 PM

>Did you use the K&N stocke replacement air filter or the
>replacement for the FIPK on that? Also, did you adapt those
>rubber hoses? My '93 has an almost identical setup except
>the tubes on mine look like duct tube and seem like they
>would make a lot of turbulance.
>Good idea, thanks for sharing it :-X20

I used the replacment element for the FIPK kit (part number listed above). Also the tubes that go's to the Trottle Bodie are stock. Ford may have changed them im not sure, but mine have a metal spring running through them so the engine suction does not collapse the hose.

IUJJ1 04-23-2002 08:02 PM

This looks good! I think i am going to try this,
It beats the heck out of paying $211.00 bucks for
one! So what did you use to cut down your air box?
Thanks.
John

AlM 05-02-2002 07:11 PM

Sorry, I tried to give you a + rating, but snapped the wrong icon..good job!..I'll see if Ken can fix this for me.

swirk 05-06-2002 07:52 AM

This idea worked great!! I finished mine this weekend. I found the two exhaust pipes at a local parts store. 3" ID to 3" ID adapter. They cost $2.50 each, other than that and the filter the install was free. Thanks for posting this.

The filter makes quite the sound when you get into the higher RPMs (above 2500 rpms). It sound almost like a set of headers.

Thanks again for posting this.

Idaho 10-21-2002 09:46 PM

How about a truck with a 460? Are the air intake tubes the same diameter as the 302s and 351s?
I was thinking about doing this, but, cutting my air tubes short, before they curve towards the fender, so that the filter would be on top of the motor and get maximum air flow from a cowl-induction or cobra-jet hood scoop.

Pheonix BlackWolf 10-28-2002 02:03 PM

wickymustang 09-12-2004 11:18 AM

Ok, am I missing something here or would this be sucking in hot engine bay air?

jmurphy_5 10-14-2004 07:07 PM

this will work on my 93 f150! thanks

Commo 01-11-2005 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by wickymustang
Ok, am I missing something here or would this be sucking in hot engine bay air?

I just got off the phone with my mechanic friend who makes these things for guys that go in fast circles. He locates the intake near the front of the truck and funnels the air into the intake.