Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   cv axles binding up/whats a good programmer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/820097-cv-axles-binding-up-whats-a-good-programmer.html)

everythingperformanc 02-09-2009 05:13 PM

cv axles binding up/whats a good programmer

when either of my front wheels drop during articulation they seem to bind up. the shop says nothing is wrong, but i beg to differ, b cuz when i jack the truck up enough to get a front wheel of the ground i can only turn it about 3 inches before it locks up. what is going on!

KingRanchMan02 02-10-2009 08:44 AM

Welcome to FTE everythingperformanc! :-X25 Is your suspension stock or is the truck lifted? Are the torsion bars cranked up?

If the suspension is stock like it rolled off the production line and you have this problem then I would agree that something is wrong. But if things have been altered then you may have to add more modifications to get the suspension geometry back to normal.

I like the programmer that I have listed in my signature. Good luck! :-wink

dadlovesfords 02-10-2009 11:09 AM

You don't have a locker up front do you?

everythingperformanc 02-10-2009 02:26 PM

Its all stock, no locker, but does have the 2 inch leveling kit. its the torsion bar one. it also has new cv axles, but the prob was there b4. it doesnt bind going up just down? even going down the road if u come of a hill an the tires drop it does it im stumped guys????????

KingRanchMan02 02-10-2009 02:30 PM

I have seen guys having trouble with aftermarket CV axles. Maybe that is your problem.

BLK94F150 02-10-2009 02:32 PM

How about an limited slip?

Is the front driveshaft actually disengaging when you take it out of 4wd? Are you in 2wd or 4wd when you're testing this?

When you're driving it does it slam to a halt?

Mike

Bobby82490 02-10-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by everythingperformanc (Post 7124075)
Its all stock, no locker, but does have the 2 inch leveling kit. its the torsion bar one. it also has new cv axles, but the prob was there b4. it doesnt bind going up just down? even going down the road if u come of a hill an the tires drop it does it im stumped guys????????

Most likely the leveling kit puts the cv axles at extreme angles when drooped, try backing down the torsion bars some to see if that helps.

everythingperformanc 02-10-2009 05:34 PM

well i tried backing off the t-bars an i still have the same problem. i guess i will have to live with the noise an see what breaks and post it up for the next guy.. thanks again for all the help. i picked up the edge evolution programmer an WOW what a difference. im sure ill break whatever in glamis this wknd

everythingperformanc 02-17-2009 03:43 PM

Well guys it broke! but not the cv axles. it was the housing coming out of the pumpkin on the drivers side. it snapped in half anybody ever break that before?

BURNSTOUGHFORD 02-17-2009 05:30 PM

I want picks and video

everythingperformanc 02-17-2009 06:05 PM

i dont have any videos but here are some pics. does any one make an after market housing or support so this does not happen again? i cant seem to post pics so i put them in my pics area. hope you can see them. let me know

BURNSTOUGHFORD 02-17-2009 06:11 PM

photobucket.com

Bobby82490 02-17-2009 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by everythingperformanc (Post 7153766)
i dont have any videos but here are some pics. does any one make an after market housing or support so this does not happen again? i cant seem to post pics so i put them in my pics area. hope you can see them. let me know

It most likely happened because the cv axles were at a extreme angle, what you will have to do is either lower it back to stock or find a way to lower your differential. Take a picture of the cv axles so we can see the angle they are at.

Also take off the front cover on the axle and take a picture of that too.

KingRanchMan02 02-17-2009 09:53 PM

To see his pictures, click on his user name and then on view public profile. the picture album is to the lower right. :-wink

everythingperformanc 02-18-2009 01:32 PM

So i talked to dixon bros racing who im someday going to buy my long travel set up from, an they say that its caused from the new cv axles i bought from auto zone. they are built chraper an do not give the angle tbe oem ones would. what the heck is up with that, but it makes sense why it would bind an stress the housing. so DONT BUY THE NEW AXLES FROM AUTO ZONE!!!!!!! i guess i will b buying that part an driving it easy till i get the cash for the long travel. oh well. atleast we all know what the problem is now.