Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum177/)
-   -   fraternities (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/818853-fraternities.html)

mstiles19 02-05-2009 11:37 PM

fraternities

What do you guys think about them? Who is in one?

4020FarmBoy 02-08-2009 08:58 PM

I am up at OSU ATI right now and when i transfer to main campus I have some guys who say they can get me into the ag frat, alpha gamma rho but I am not sure if I wanna join yet. I dont like all the secrecy about it and I am the kinda guy that who wants to know exactly what I am getting into. Guess I will just have to see how it plays out.

texastech_diesel 02-08-2009 10:47 PM

Social greek frats are crap. It's mainly a bunch of rich tools who like flaunting their Daddy's money and killing brain cells drinking and toking up six nights a week. After rush week I was so sick of all the drama that I rejected my bid, left and never looked back. It was sad how obsessive these losers got about their feelings and their clothes and their 'images' and all that junk, it was like hanging out with a bunch of girls in high school. Plus I can't stand people who act rich and flaunt their money, and then try to look down on me just because I don't wear expensive jeans or have a top of the line truck, boat, sport bike, 10,000 acre ranch and $3,000 deer rifle. I don't pay out the butt in tuition to ditch classes and get stoned. Their only saving grace is that the sorority girls ARE hot, but turns out that Lubbock has one of the highest STD rates in the nation, so even if you score, it's probably gonna rot and fall off.

Some of the non-greek socials are pretty cool though, and some of the random "academic" fraternities are basically just socials that have a faculty advisor.

I ended up doing a couple of "professional" groups for business and music, and then stuff at church. We still had fun, had plenty of parties and trips, generally excuses to act stupid. My vote is pick a fraternity or group for you major, then find something else like an intramural team that'll play different sports together all year.

UGA33 02-10-2009 11:20 AM

Its up to you man. They help some and annoy many! Most frat guys here at UGA are a different breed. All the ag frat guys are pretty cool though.

sncblue03 02-23-2009 07:20 PM

Worst mistake I ever made and yet... Best one I ever made too. I had an AWESOME time. Which is why I failed out. Turns out I liked drinking and partying a lot more than I liked going to school...

19fifty4 02-24-2009 03:37 PM

I steered clear of them when I was in school. Too much of a herd mentality. If you want true brotherhood, join the Marine Corps. The rest is all pretense.

FordTruckMan2004 07-24-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel (Post 7117610)
Social greek frats are crap. It's mainly a bunch of rich tools who like flaunting their Daddy's money and killing brain cells drinking and toking up six nights a week. After rush week I was so sick of all the drama that I rejected my bid, left and never looked back. It was sad how obsessive these losers got about their feelings and their clothes and their 'images' and all that junk, it was like hanging out with a bunch of girls in high school. Plus I can't stand people who act rich and flaunt their money, and then try to look down on me just because I don't wear expensive jeans or have a top of the line truck, boat, sport bike, 10,000 acre ranch and $3,000 deer rifle. I don't pay out the butt in tuition to ditch classes and get stoned. Their only saving grace is that the sorority girls ARE hot, but turns out that Lubbock has one of the highest STD rates in the nation, so even if you score, it's probably gonna rot and fall off.

Some of the non-greek socials are pretty cool though, and some of the random "academic" fraternities are basically just socials that have a faculty advisor.

I ended up doing a couple of "professional" groups for business and music, and then stuff at church. We still had fun, had plenty of parties and trips, generally excuses to act stupid. My vote is pick a fraternity or group for you major, then find something else like an intramural team that'll play different sports together all year.

While I would agree that a large percentage of Greeks are rich snobs, that is really a generalization. Each Fraternity has there type of people and it even varies depending on chapter. Now I must say that I am an inactive member of a fraternity at Texas State and I dont fit the generalization that 'ALL' frat members are rich snobs. I work 40+hours a week to pay for my car and the bills and go to school full time as well. So to pass judgement so quickly is very near-sided. And I will say its not for everyone and if I did not have to work so much I would still be active.

If you are looking at going the Greek route, be sure to look at all the available options before you commit because like they say, you only choose once and you could wind up with a group of snobs.