Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Did I blow my engine? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/817669-did-i-blow-my-engine.html)

2002diesel 02-02-2009 04:03 PM

Did I blow my engine?

This morning as I attemped to start my 02 f-250 diesel it was cranking but would not start. Fearing the battery was going to die and no one at home to give me a jump start, I decided to give it a bit of help by sprying some starter fluid into the air filter box (after the filter).

I may have sprayed a bit too much. The truck started but as it started to rapidly rev up, I turned the ignition key off, but it continued to rev up. The RPMPs red lined all the way for about 5 seconds or so, and then it turned off.

I tried restarting it again, but the engine appeared to have lost compression. Now it cranks/turns over a lot faster and shakes more than usaul as I turn the key, but it won't start. I immediately saw a small puddle of oil building up on the ground.

Could I have blown a head gasket or something else? I did not get a chance to look too much into it this morning as I am at work rigth now. But I think I saw just a little bit of coolant by the head, somewhere behind the alternator area.

Please HELP!

Alex :-huh

61 uni 02-02-2009 04:32 PM

Glow plugs+either=$$$$$. It ain't gonna be good. Probably bent something internally(rods ect).

miller_feed 02-02-2009 04:40 PM

Sorry to hear this. I know the first thing people want to do when a diesel don't start is shoot some either in it. I hope it is better then it sounds.

bigrigfixer 02-02-2009 04:51 PM

Ooo, sounds bad.

As long as you sprayed the ether WHILE IT WAS CRANKING you should be okay.

If you sprayed while it was NOT cranking, you're pretty much done.

jdecker88 02-02-2009 04:51 PM

This is why you never use Either on a PSD, if you absolutly have to move it use WD-40 not either. I would start to take a flash light look for holes in the block if it is then get on CL or ebay and find you a used 7.3L motor.

megawatt00 02-02-2009 05:10 PM

Alex welcome to FTE. I'm assuming that the truck wasn't cranking when you sprayed the ether in it. It might be gone.....sorry to be the bearer of the potential bad news...

jrf250 02-02-2009 05:11 PM

Don't sound good. I thank You should start looking for a new motor.

Welcome to FTE anyhow.

randomhero1172 02-02-2009 05:17 PM

Gosh i feel for ya, Today my dad coudlnt get our 92 to start so he did the same exact thing and im pretty sure its done for. No compression either, but also no oil leak. Im thinking he bent something internally. When i told him to never ever ever use starting fluid on a diesel (told him 1000 times) hes like "WHY SON, ive seen people do it for years" hey im just a stupid kid, what do i know!!

2002diesel 02-02-2009 06:04 PM

I'm fearing for the worst rigth now. It's not like I have thousand's of dollars to dump into this thing right now. Is it a good idea to have it diagnosed at the dealer of another shop that works on diesels?

I will check it out tonight and give you guys an update on what I find. Any other info will be greatly appreciated.

As for replacing the engine. Is is somewhat similar to replacing a gas engine?

HKusp 02-02-2009 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2002diesel (Post 7090088)
I'm fearing for the worst rigth now. It's not like I have thousand's of dollars to dump into this thing right now. Is it a good idea to have it diagnosed at the dealer of another shop that works on diesels?

I will check it out tonight and give you guys an update on what I find. Any other info will be greatly appreciated.

Don't take it to a dealer, they are rip off artists almost always. As for the replacement, it is exactly the same as a gas engine just a bit bigger than most, and certainly a LOT heavier.

2002diesel 02-02-2009 06:08 PM

Oh yeah, I was trying to start it alone so I wasn't cranking the egine when I sprayed the starter fluid. I sprayd it in for about 3 seconds and then cranked it.

Any additional ideas would be great.

bigrigfixer 02-02-2009 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2002diesel (Post 7090088)

Somewhat, yes. Different parts, sensors, etc.

Basically, disconnect the wiring harness and fuel lines, unbolt the trans and motor mounts. In a nutshell, of course.

monsterbaby 02-02-2009 06:16 PM

first thing is you don't want the glow plugs hot when the ether hits (ignites it and causes massive pressure) next if your just trying to boost a diesel to start you spray it ON the air filter not behind it, and let the engine pull the ether thru. This just boost the compression ratio slightly making ti fire the fuel easier even though cold (glow plugs do the opposite they cause heat so it will fire it at lower pressure. diesels use pressure to create heat high enough to fire the fuel) Also if you HAVE to on a glow plug engine, turn it on and let the glow plugs cycle off BEFORE you start cranking it so they are not still glowing when the either hits.

randomhero1172 Joe, starting fluid is much more so for diesels then gas, you NEVER use ether on a gas engine or you will pop the heads off, but he older non glow plug diesels actually had ether injections systems put on them from the factory, glow plugs were supposed to eliminate the need for it. BUT you shouldn't use it on a glow plug diesel, it can be done but precautions are a must (unhooking the GPR is a good start)

Vinford 02-02-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by monsterbaby (Post 7090158)
first thing is you don't want the glow plugs hot when the ether hits (ignites it and causes massive pressure) next if your just trying to boost a diesel to start you spray it ON the air filter not behind it, and let the engine pull the ether thru. This just boost the compression ratio slightly making ti fire the fuel easier even though cold (glow plugs do the opposite they cause heat so it will fire it at lower pressure. diesels use pressure to create heat high enough to fire the fuel) Also if you HAVE to on a glow plug engine, turn it on and let the glow plugs cycle off BEFORE you start cranking it so they are not still glowing when the either hits.

randomhero1172 Joe, starting fluid is much more so for diesels then gas, you NEVER use ether on a gas engine or you will pop the heads off, but he older non glow plug diesels actually had ether injections systems put on them from the factory, glow plugs were supposed to eliminate the need for it. BUT you shouldn't use it on a glow plug diesel, it can be done but precautions are a must (unhooking the GPR is a good start)

I remember a IH tractor we had.
It had a place to clip a can of ether in.
You pulled a knob just like a choke knob and it gave it ether as it was turning over.

F350-6 02-02-2009 06:31 PM

So it spins faster, shakes, and drips fluids now. I'd pinpoint any leaks, make sure you have the fluid type identified correctly, then pull the oil cap off the fill tube and see what kind of blowby pressure you get while cranking. Any noises associated with the faster cranking? I'd also check all the fluids and see if there are any other fluids mixed in where they're not supposed to be.

As mentioned, glow plugs and ether play well together, and as you've discovered, the key doesn't really have anything to do with the engine running once the engine fires off. You've got to let the ether burn out or choke off the air supply.

You could always do a compression test at the glow plug holes to give you a better indication.