Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Questions about my build. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/815280-questions-about-my-build.html)

Rellim51 01-26-2009 11:53 AM

Questions about my build.

I'm swapping a 460/C6 in my 60 F100 and I have a few questions. Has anyone ever used the CPP tubular trans crossmember(CP90045)? http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro...0045-Large.jpg

It did not come with any instructions or paperwork of any kind. I've tried a few different mounts but even when using the shortest trans mount I could find, they are all too tall. No matter how flip it or turn it I cannot get the crossmember to work. I pushed my trans all the way up to the floor board and the crossmember still won't mount up. It's like the trans tunnel needs to be raised 2-3".

I'm also using CPP's tubular engine crossmember and during the initial mock up it looks like the crank pulley will hit the front crossmember. I didn't have the crank installed in the block during mock up. Will this have to be notched? I've noticed a few people using the same set up as mine but could not tell if they had to notch the front crossmember. Thanks for your help.

ALBUQ F-1 01-26-2009 01:54 PM

Did you put the front crossmember where they suggested, or just eyeball it? I'd move it backwards, if it were mine. Why start off wrong?

Rellim51 01-26-2009 02:25 PM

Again, no instructions or paper work included. The engine was as back as far as it would go without hitting the firewall.

OldgreenF1 01-26-2009 03:56 PM

Did you remove the stock trans tunnel to make room? Does it bolt to the frame without the engine and trans in? If so your probably looking at fabbing up a trans tunnel or more.

Rellim51 01-26-2009 05:18 PM

I did not remove the trans tunnel. Yes, it will bolt up to the frame several different ways without the trans installed but I can't tell which way it was intended to be mounted. I also don't know which trans mount was intended to be used with it. This was supposed to be a bolt in mount with no floor modifications needed. I can make it work if I make 2" spacers to drop the cross member down but I don't think I should have to do that since it is supposed to be made for this truck with this engine/trans. It's almost as if the mounting brackets on the ends are welded upside down. I think if they were flipped over it would work but that shouldn't be needed on a new part should it?

56panelford 01-26-2009 05:33 PM

Found this link on CPP web site; http://www.classicperform.com/Instru...gineTransX.pdf Don't know if this will work for your application:confused: hoping so:) You could try giving them a call I was told they had fairly good tech support,but then again:confused: I don't know

Julies Cool F1 01-26-2009 05:47 PM

Hi Rellim,

You are going to need quite a bit more drop in that mount if you plan to put a C6 in that F1. I have a 51 with a 390/C6 and mine (engine valve cover) is about 1/2 inch from the firewall horizontally, and maybe enough room for the emergency brake cable vertically between the top of the transmission and the cab floor tranny cover - VERY tight.

And my transmission mount is depressed at least 9 inches on centers. Here's two pictures - hope this helps!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=208554&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=208555&.jpg

As you can see in the top picture, the mointing bracket on the C6 is BELOW the lower lip of the frame I don't see how what you have pictured would possibly work (Sorry, I guess you already found that out hte hard way)

Good Luck,
Julie

Rellim51 01-26-2009 06:07 PM

Thanks for the link, I read through it but it is very generic info. I've sent several emails to CPP and got no response. Looks like I'll have to call if I can figure it out.

mcdonaldm 01-27-2009 11:42 AM

what vehicle did you get the transmission out of?

reason i ask is there is two different style of transmission tailshafts. there is the long tail that came in Lincolns and full size Fords/Mercs. they have mounts that use two arms off the side of the transmission. the short tail version uses a mount that bolts to the bottom of the transmission. this is probably the style that the crossmember is meant to be used with.

just a thought as to what may or may not be the problem.

rgds
Mike

Rellim51 01-27-2009 12:14 PM

Well I think the engine/trans came out of a 75 Lincoln.

Julie, Mine doesn't drop down quite that much. The mounting pad for the trans mount is about even with the bottom of the frame.

mcdonaldm 01-27-2009 03:46 PM

i didn't use an aftermarket crossmember, i just fab'd up one. mine is just a piece of 1" sq tubing with a pad welded onto it. it sits pretty well flat across the frames and i am usung a Lincoln transmission also.

i will take a pic of it to show you, but i have no clearance issues at all and i have a 60 ford also and 460/c6 combo.

rgds
Mike

Rellim51 01-27-2009 04:47 PM

That would be great!

Julies Cool F1 01-27-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcdonaldm (Post 7063391)
what vehicle did you get the transmission out of?

reason i ask is there is two different style of transmission tailshafts. there is the long tail that came in Lincolns and full size Fords/Mercs. they have mounts that use two arms off the side of the transmission. the short tail version uses a mount that bolts to the bottom of the transmission. this is probably the style that the crossmember is meant to be used with.

just a thought as to what may or may not be the problem.

rgds
Mike

Originally Posted by mcdonaldm (Post 7064418)
i didn't use an aftermarket crossmember, i just fab'd up one. mine is just a piece of 1" sq tubing with a pad welded onto it. it sits pretty well flat across the frames and i am usung a Lincoln transmission also.

i will take a pic of it to show you, but i have no clearance issues at all and i have a 60 ford also and 460/c6 combo.

rgds
Mike

These are both very good points that Mike has made. I can help but wonder if mine was'nt just made up as well....I'm not sure I didn't do it. But I would think that getting something custome done lik ehtat n a welding shop wouldn't be too expensive and would be tailored to your truck.J!

Rellim51 01-27-2009 09:06 PM

You are probably right, I thought this cross member would be tailored to my truck but I should have made one myself I guess. I'll call tomorrow and see what's up.

husker 01-27-2009 09:37 PM

I used one of the tubular mounts for the 460 engine in my 54 F250 and I cut and fabbed a tranny mount from the original tranny mount from the donor car(78 LTD). I had to drop cut and weld the tranny mount about 1" lower from where it would normally sit if mounted to the bottom frame lip.

On my 54 I thought I would have to get a different cover over the tranny in the cab and so I picked one up out of a F600 that has a hump. You may be able to do the same if you need more clearance. On the 54 the big truck cover is raised a couple of inches but bolts in to the same place as the pickup cover.

I had enough clearance so I didn't have to use the big cover. I don't have the truck here, so can't get pics.