Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Using Magnesol Help.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/814962-using-magnesol-help.html)

PsD007.3 01-25-2009 03:17 PM

Using Magnesol Help....

the process of magnesol seems complicated, we use a fuelmeisterII soo after we drain the gylcerin out we would just dump this into the top of the processer and let it sit?? then just drain it out the bottom and thats its?? or does it get to clumpy and wont drain?? i'm just curious on how to use it with our fuelmeisterII..

Gun-Driver 01-25-2009 05:33 PM

You won't be able to use it in your set up.
What you will have to do is after you drain your glycerol out, pump your Bio to another tank of some kind where you can add the magnesol and mix it. Do not pump mix it.

Rushmore X 01-25-2009 06:24 PM

I'm curious about this too. After the mixing, we would then gravity feed (our setup) it through a filter (how fine?) to collect the contaminated magnesol, letting the oil pass through. If I understood Fabman right, the Magnesol can then be set out in the sun, dried, and reused to an extent?

fabmandelux 01-25-2009 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger (Post 7055853)
I'm curious about this too. After the mixing, we would then gravity feed (our setup) it through a filter (how fine?) to collect the contaminated magnesol, letting the oil pass through. If I understood Fabman right, the Magnesol can then be set out in the sun, dried, and reused to an extent?

The first thing to do is recover the excess Methanol from the bio. The reason for this step is by recovering the Methanol most of the soap and glycerol will "fall" out of suspension, and you can use half of the normal amount of Magnesol. Next step is to mix the magnesol MECHANICALLY, not with a pump! There are 2 ways to remove the Magnesol. #1. Filtration, which is what I use. I first run it through a 50 micron filter bag, then a 20 micron bag, a 10 micron bag, and finally a 5 micron bag. After settling it for a couple of hours, I then run it through a 1 micron absolute and into my storage tank. #2. Let settle overnight in an open tank till the Magnesol settles to the bottom, then decant the clean bio off the top. There is no way of reusing the Magnesol.

Gun-Driver 01-25-2009 07:01 PM

I've never tried to reuse the magnesol but if Fabman has away, he would know he's THE MAN.
What I do is...after mixing I let it sit over night then pump the bio off of the top of the settled magnesol, that way I get several batches through my sock filters before I have to change them. With this method I don't bother with the 5 micron filters, I just use 1 micron sock filters.

97biostroke 01-25-2009 08:33 PM

so where can you get magnesol and whats the cost? Is it really all that much better than water wash and an air pump?

fabmandelux 01-25-2009 08:53 PM

You can buy it here: MAGNESOL R60 and D-Sol (D60) at FRYERPOWER HOME Cost is $92/50lbs. It adds $.12/ gallon to the cost.I started with water wash. After a couple of emulsions, I started looking for a better way. That way was Magnesol! I'd never go back..........I've had 6 samples tested, and everyone has come back EXCEDDING ASTM specs. It's faster, 0 waste water, NO drying involved, and the bio has a much longer shelf life. "Air" drying can cause oxidation, which promotes polymerization of bio. That can shorten the shelf life of biodiesel.After using it for 5 years, I can honestly say I would still use it if it cost me 3 times what it does.

97biostroke 01-25-2009 09:32 PM

How hard would it be to convert over to using Magnesol? Right now we have two 250 gallon tanks with a pump hooked up to them. Most of our fuel gets used up pretty quick on the farm, but the ease of cleaning is what gets my attention. Having to careful wash and drain out water for a year I'm ready for an easier way.

PsD007.3 01-25-2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gun-Driver (Post 7055607)
You won't be able to use it in your set up.
What you will have to do is after you drain your glycerol out, pump your Bio to another tank of some kind where you can add the magnesol and mix it. Do not pump mix it.

ok soo after we would do the gylcerin drop pump it out of our fuelmeister into a 55gal drum and just dump the magnesol into the barrel and just stir it by hand??? and houw would i get this out of the drum??

Gun-Driver 01-26-2009 08:14 AM

You have to use a mechanical mixer of some sort. You have to mix for at least 30 minutes I usually go longer just to make sure it mixed well.
I made a simple paddle out of some 1/2" bar and used a drill when I first started. A plaster mixer works well also.

I just scoop out the settled Magnesol from the bottom of the drum, then wash out any remaining slug with a hose.

PsD007.3 01-26-2009 09:36 AM

ok soo we can just put the magnesol in the 55gal drum and just put some sort of mixer up to a drill and mix it for 30 minutes and just let it sit and all the nasty stuff will go to the bottom and we could just pump the biodiesel out off the top untill we reach the bottom crap that settle out?? and how many grams of magnesol for apprz 40gal?? that include getting methanol out of it also??

fabmandelux 01-26-2009 11:06 AM

If you don't recover the Methanol you'll need 2% Magnesol by weight. If you do recover the Methanol you need half the Magnesol or 1%.

I make 50 gallon batches, and use 3.75 pounds per batch.

I don't use an "appleseed" style of processor. Mine is "open" style, and uses a mechanical mixer. I use this same mixing tank to mix my Magnesol also, which cuts down on the equipment needed.

PsD007.3 01-26-2009 11:48 AM

ok but if i would take apprx 40 gal put it into a 55gal drump and just hook a stirring device up to a drill and stir it for half hour then just let it sit for how long?? and then what just pump the good stuff off the top untill i reach the bad stuff on the bottom???

fabmandelux 01-26-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by PsD007.3 (Post 7058592)
ok but if i would take apprx 40 gal put it into a 55gal drump and just hook a stirring device up to a drill and stir it for half hour then just let it sit for how long?? and then what just pump the good stuff off the top untill i reach the bad stuff on the bottom???

That is exactly right! Very simple. If your going to settle it you should let it settle overnight.

I use an air powered diaphragm pump, and force it through my bag filters, but settling works just fine.

PsD007.3 01-26-2009 02:42 PM

ok i might have to give it a try soo it does work alot better than water washing?? and i see for 50gal u use 3.75lbs what would i roughley use for about 40gal then?? and i'd be removing the methanol and gylcerin..