Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/)
-   -   Tired of the 300 bashing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/811735-tired-of-the-300-bashing.html)

6CylBill 01-27-2009 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by F-250 restorer (Post 7066114)
yep, fresh b.s., I believe.

I read an article about a mechanic who can get 100mpg, and like 60mpg out of a hummer. He drops in a diesel, and injects hydrogin with the bio fuel. Maybe the guy getting 26mpg out of his 300 has the same set up.

Anyway, it's a good story....

I don't believe he is intentionally lying. I just think he doesn't know how to come up with his MPG numbers. The highest numbers I ever heard of a 300 getting with 21, carb'd. Even then I find it hard to believe. A 300 and 302 get the same mileage. A 300 is a solid motor but it's no fuel sipper.

highboy87 01-27-2009 09:11 PM

opinions(and you) are like *********s. you know the rest..

6CylBill 01-27-2009 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by highboy87 (Post 7066173)
opinions(and you) are like *********s. you know the rest..

Easy there. How can you blame him for saying that? It's impossible for a 300 to get that kind of mileage, especially stock, in a lifted truck with big tires. And aren't your gear ratios 3.55? Come on man. Don't call people ***holes for doubting a pig can fly.

F-250 restorer 01-27-2009 09:15 PM

Have a good night, bill.

6CylBill 01-27-2009 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by F-250 restorer (Post 7066204)
Have a good night, bill.

You too man. Don't work too hard.

highboy87 01-27-2009 09:20 PM

well i drive it. and if my calculations are correct, if i go 400 miles on one tank, which unless i'm mistaken is 16 or 17 gallons, comes out to roughly twenty something miles per gallon. i did go to a podunk high school in northern utah, so i could be wrong.. i just don't like being called a liar. and i'm sure no one else does either.. i'm a grown man. i don't need to come on some site and make things up to feel better about myself... nor do i feel the need to call some one a liar. i'll be the bigger person and end this topic.

6CylBill 01-27-2009 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by highboy87 (Post 7066227)
well i drive it. and if my calculations are correct, if i go 400 miles on one tank, which unless i'm mistaken is 16 or 17 gallons, comes out to roughly twenty something miles per gallon. i did go to a podunk high school in northern utah, so i could be wrong.. i just don't like being called a liar. and i'm sure no one else does either.. i'm a grown man. i don't need to come on some site and make things up to feel better about myself... nor do i feel the need to call some one a liar. i'll be the bigger person and end this topic.

I don't think he was calling you a liar, and I'm certainly not. There just isn't a bone in my body that thinks a 300 can achive 24 mpg. I agree though this thread topic needs ended before it really turns ugly. I'm out too!

5.0Torx 01-27-2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by highboy87 (Post 7066227)

try dividing the miles driven by the number of gallons that show up on the pump - assuming you filled up both times. thats more accurate than "16 or 17 gallons" and "twenty something mpg". Fuel gauges are always optimistic. dont assume that if youre on E, the tank is 95% empty.

Also, bill said many times that he wasnt calling you a liar. Man, is this the 300 forum, or what?

Im going to side with him anyway. 20 mpg city, consistantly? mid 20s highway, consistantly? My record best in mine is 23, but it aint consistantly that high at all. I normally get about 12-16, and so does everyone else here. Thats after doing the math properly.

Lastly, we'll all give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you can use a calculator correctly. Podunk educated people punch in 400 / 16 = 25 mpg the same way Princeton University grads punch in 400 / 16 = 25 mpg. No need to be a brat, have a temper tantrum, and end the discussion when someone calls you on your math. Especially when you admit large amounts of error in your calculation.

:-fire

9.ford.5 01-27-2009 11:10 PM

oh common anything is possible my uncles bone stock 96 4.9 got 21 highway steady before he took the cat off...my moms ole 95 was a little less but 18-19 steady...but now since he took the cat off he claims to get 23-24mpg...with a 23' fifth wheel camper on behind and he told me he went from lethbridge to hannah on one tank with that trailer and its roughly 450km with a 16 gallon tank = 17.5mpg with a 23' fifth wheel...then theres mine i get MAYBE 12 if i got the wind at my back and a 20 foot sail in the air

Gramps86 01-28-2009 12:09 AM

my old one got a best of 21 with a fresh tune up, etc. normal driving the thing got about 15 in town, and about 18-19 hwy didnt seem to care weather or not it was loaded up, cold or hot out lol. good enough to turn a chevy man that got a great deal on a truck into a partial believer in ford. at least the 300 6 haha. day after she kicked over 190,000 lady pulled out in front of me and that was the end of the truck, something in the trans broke so the insurance wrote it off. sad day. but on the upside ive since upgraded to a 4x4, yes with a 300, and alot less miles lol.

1982bluef150 01-28-2009 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 6CylBill (Post 7066243)
I don't think he was calling you a liar, and I'm certainly not. There just isn't a bone in my body that thinks a 300 can achive 24 mpg. I agree though this thread topic needs ended before it really turns ugly. I'm out too!

why couldnt it? youd never beleive how much little stuff tricks and tweaks that you can do to get better gas mileage a buddy of mine said he got a newer dodge cargo van to get 50 mpg with a 318 ... granted thats when its empty and ive learned that having the right exhaust setup will change your fuel economy and im guessing a rebuilt carb helps to... (ive heard our 1 barrels like to get rebuilt)

big_ford_rednek 01-28-2009 09:01 AM

i was getting 21 or so with mine consistantly b4 the big tires and my o2 sensor took a dump. i pulled fullsize trucks loaded down for scrap and i got 16 back in the good ol days

6CylBill 01-28-2009 10:59 AM

Sorry guys but I just don't believe an un-moddified 300 can acheive 24 mpg. I'm not being a jerk and I'm not calling anyone a liar. Here's an easy way to solve this: Somebody come up with the numbers on how much fuel a 300 needs just to stay running. Look at how much the injectors squirt at idle, and at 2,000 rpm (not precise, just giving an example). I'm not saying the 300 can't get good mileage. I can see a 300 getting 18, sometimes 19, and maybe 20 on a good day. But 24 seems a big much.

Freaksh0w 01-28-2009 11:34 AM

Seems to be the HIGH average gas mileage 300-6's get around 19-20 on the highway. That seems to be the general consensus, maybe 19mpg driven luckily with good gas can get you 19mpg. And in the city, they aren't much better than my 302, according to what most people say. My 302 gets good mileage anywhere that I have to go slow, but it's the highway that kills me with no OD. Good mileage = 14-16mpg. Either way, I definitely see 24, and what you first claimed, 26 mpg to be an error. Maybe your odometer is off, maybe your tank holds more than you think, I don't know.

Maybe one day you took a trip down a 400 mile mountain road, and got to coast most of the way. Who's to say? But you got to understand where we come from when we question 24-26mpg in a 300-6 full size truck.

big_ford_rednek 01-28-2009 11:51 AM

it doesnt really matter how big ur tank is. it just matters how many miles you have on it and how much fuel it takes to fill the tank. but every time you fill up, generally the pump stops at different times. if you go past the first click then it will vary even more. if you fill it till it overflows on one tank, then drive it down and fill it back up to the first click at the pump, then you will generally burn about a gallon or so of unacounted fuel, which would inflate your gas mileage readings