Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/)
-   -   Tired of the 300 bashing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/811735-tired-of-the-300-bashing.html)

Harte3 01-17-2009 09:22 PM

1. The comparison between the 300 and 350 C***y was actualy started by the original poster in the other thread...wants to beat the V8.

2. For all those who contributed all the adolescent rhetoric and ranting about anti-bashing NOT ONE of you has offered ANY suggestion as to how he is going to beat the 350 V8 with a '92 EFI 300/4.9 4X4. (excepting for a brief mention of a turbo)

3. Time to put your money where your mouth is and post those suggestions. How about it flipklos? Let us see how you would spend how much of his money so he can realize his desire to not be beat by someone with a like vehicle equipped with a bigger/faster engine.

waynaferd 01-17-2009 09:37 PM

LOL....have him talk Harte3 into selling his motor for $500 :D

Harte3 01-17-2009 10:07 PM

My engine does not qualify. It is not EFI in a 4X4. I don't think $500 would make a down payment on "Flashy's" engine:eek:...it would be a better investment though. BUT, it is not EFI in a 4X4. The gentleman wants any suggestions as to how to beat the V8 with HIS truck and has asked twice in his original post. STILL no suggestions as to what he can do to or with his 300/4.9 EFI 4X4 truck to beat the V8. Lots of irrelevant verbiage but not suggestions.

nevrenufhp 01-17-2009 10:34 PM

I suggested steeper gears, which is one of very few options he has.

Col Flashman 01-17-2009 10:35 PM

O.K., how about this then.:-drink
Make it into the Carburated version & then do all the Mods from "The Joy Of Six" article from the Aug. 02 issue of Custom Classic Trucks magazine.:-headbang

waynaferd 01-18-2009 08:43 AM

a 150 HP shot of nitrous will work.

that is all the EFI 4.9 needs to beat a 350.

you are all welcome.

:D

big_ford_rednek 01-18-2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by waynaferd (Post 7024153)
a 150 HP shot of nitrous will work.

Originally Posted by waynaferd (Post 7024153)

that is all the EFI 4.9 needs to beat a 350.

you are all welcome.

:D

lol good call

big_ford_rednek 01-18-2009 12:57 PM

any motor can be made to be fast, or to pull a mountain or just be plain reliable with enough time, money and research. somebody said this in a differnet topic, but it was along the lines of a 300 can be made to win races, but so can a brigs and straton with enough money. but its whatever the person wants to make it. a motor with 300,000 or 400,000 miles on it, i respect that. a motor that has 500, 600, 700+ horse power, i respect that. but i wouldnt want a motor with 300,000 miles on it, cuz the way i drive it prolly wouldnt see 300,001 miles. i want a motor with 700 HP, but i couldnt drive it for very long cuz right now i only have 1 pt left on my drivers liscence from a few, ahh, lets just say, stupid things i shouldnt have done. and 1 of those was to impress a girl.. uffda.. but anyways, its all about what the person who owns the vehicle wants out of it. and the 300 should not be compared to a V6, V8, V10 or diesel, because they are all in different catagories and completely different motors. im not going to a V8 section and saying the 7.3 can kick all of your a**es. why cuz they are different. my old eclipse, with a 4 cyllinder turbo, beat a lot of mustangs and camaros, and could have prolly beaten alot of the trucks here, but im sure every truck here could pull me around the block a few times.. why not compare a car to a truck while we are at it. everyone is compairing apples to oranges. it just dont make any sense.

Harte3 01-18-2009 01:37 PM

So we have:

1. Change in gear ratio. Unknown if this will get the job done.

2. Total rebuild to carbed super engine. Expensive.

3. 150 hp shot of juice. This might get the job done but no telling how long the engine especially the pistons are going to last doing that. Fordsix Performance :: Log in Comments there on 100 shot of juice.

4. I'll suggest using a Crane 503901 or Isky 256 Super Cam which are EFI computer compatible BUT no guarantee expressed or implied that these will obtain the desired result of beating the V8.

5. A lot of info is missing. What vehicle is the V8 in? If a truck, is it 4X4? What trannies in both vehicles? What 350? Carbed? 2v or 4v carb? Carbed 350's in trucks, depending on the year, are rated 160-175 HP, 260-275 TQ. TBI is rated at 210 HP and 300 TQ which is right at where my modified engine is projected on DD. Also, "off the line" is not defined...is beating the other vehicle across the crosswalk sufficient? The intersection? Half a block?, ad infinitum.

6. To express hard facts about the 300 I6 v 350 V8 is not bashing any more than an honest answering of "How am I going to beat a 351W?" with a 92 4X4 EFI 300. Without some serious mods to the 300, it ain't gonna beat the V8 and I for one will be up front and tell him "forget it" unless he is willing to engage in an escalating "arms race" with the V8 owner and be seriously defeated in the end...and all for what?

7. What big_ford_rednek said. But, remember, the original poster established the cause for comparison with his question.

flipklos 01-18-2009 02:59 PM

500HP out of a 300, Nice
Did they ever dyno any?

Ive thought of using a 300 ford if I ever built a tank racer,as the engine is narrow.

flipklos 01-18-2009 03:09 PM

In response to harte 3. All I have to do in a pull off with a 350is sit in 1st gear and feather my clutch. I built my motor for as much torque as possible while still keeping the vacum high as I live where it gets to-35F.

If I wanted to out race a 350 with a 300....................Find a junk turbo at a junkyard, make a custom intake. Jigger rig a injection setup. throw on an MSD controled ignition, rebuild the engine and throw a custom ground cam in.

An efi 300 .......................3.73 gears, an aftermarket chip, cold air and a high flow exhaust.

Harte3 01-18-2009 04:52 PM

Now we are actually getting someplace. And if the young man has the resources, he is good to go. Whether he wins the "off the line" race, whatever that is, still remains to be seen.

I did post a vid of a pull off...the 300 was dragging the other truck down the street. Great stuff. But the contest in question is not a pull off.

Aftermarket chips have been discussed before and nothing for substantially positive results has been posted to the best of my knowledge. With the money and skills necessary for tuning...possibly a MegaSquirt system.

6CylBill 01-18-2009 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Harte3 (Post 7025650)
Now we are actually getting someplace. And if the young man has the resources, he is good to go. Whether he wins the "off the line" race, whatever that is, still remains to be seen.

I did post a vid of a pull off...the 300 was dragging the other truck down the street. Great stuff. But the contest in question is not a pull off.

Aftermarket chips have been discussed before and nothing for substantially positive results has been posted to the best of my knowledge. With the money and skills necessary for tuning...possibly a MegaSquirt system.

Harte, you and I don't agree on everything, but I'm with you here.

I've never bashed on the I6. I merely state the facts. I have a 3.0 V6, a 350 HO, and my own 300 I6. I drive all three vehicles. I know what the 300 is and what it isn't. It's a good solid working motor - it will work all day long. It is stubborn.
However, it is NOT fast. It was not built for speed. The other side to this is the 300 doesn't care if it works. I over loaded my truck the other day and couldn't feel the bed full of wet wood chips back there.
And I feel confident hooking chains up to a V8 powered truck. I may not win every time, but he's going to know his motor had to rev to Heaven and work REAL hard to out-pull my Mini- Diesel.

So go stuff something up your nose, OP.

flipklos 01-18-2009 08:19 PM

Im notthe biggest fan of ford factory efi on the 300 either.

It worked reliably but lacked the umph of the carbed models as well as being slightly difficult to modify.

The Chips arnt a drastic improvment I looked into getting one for my 96 4.9
If I recal correctly it was stated at 7HP and 31 FT LB.

With a free brathing intake and exhaust a EFI 300 sould see about 15HP and 40 ftlbs gain.

Doing your own EFI would be sweet.

Old blue, my 85 f150 W 4spd and 300 is set up to pull with 3.55s.
No one has remarked about its speed but, remark that it sounds like a diesel and pulls great.

If I towed every day I would want a 390 or a 7.3 heck even a windsor would be an improvment.

I tow maby 3 times a year. But, its always over 7500 lbs.

For going fast Im not great as Im a torquemister.

6CylBill 01-18-2009 08:26 PM

[quote=flipklos;7026625]

Old blue, my 85 f150 W 4spd and 300 is set up to pull with 3.55s.
No one has remarked about its speed but, remark that it sounds like a diesel and pulls great.

quote]

Son of a gun. I love the sound of a 300. Especially under load.