Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/)
-   -   Tired of the 300 bashing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/811735-tired-of-the-300-bashing.html)

1979 Ford 01-30-2009 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by murph77 (Post 7075502)
Thought I'd share this since this thread is going down the tube. Strictly entertainment value. I think the MPG numbers given in the add are BS, but it's worth the watch.

YouTube - 1984 Ford 4.9L six Ad

Enjoy.

I belive the EPA revied how they calculated MPG shortly after that. I have seen that video a couple of times.

waynaferd 01-30-2009 07:20 PM

Jees I hate coming in late, but....

I think by 375CI in the big rig he meant 375 hp, like my old eagle had a 525 cummins....whatev's...

And, when I first bought my truck, with regular bed, 43K miles, 4x4, 4.9, 5-speed stock 235's, 3.55's, I filled it full, went off-roading a bit ( 1st and 2nd gear stuff, in 2 wheel drive), went up and down the interstate to work, and some around town driving.

I then filled it full again, divided the miles by gallons and came up with 20.sumthin.....And its not much much much cheaper to take the 4-cyl, 5-speed ranger which is consistently 21 mpg than it is to drive the aforementioned truck now lifted with a flareside bed, opened intake and exhaust. Unless I go over 1/2 a tank because it leaks.

I don't have a tach, but bet I never run over 2k RPM, and I baby the truck (sorta) and my uncle, who bought it brand spanking new, only commuted to work with it and never hauled anything, except plowed his small driveway for 2-3 years, and had it serviced regulary by the dealership.

So in conclusion, having a well-maintained and properly driven vehicle, one can get better than average fuel economy. :D

FL299 01-30-2009 08:09 PM

I find a lot of people that bash the 300 have never owned one ! A lot of them have never owned a FORD but feel they must take every opportunity to bash anything FORD. I have a F-250 with the 300 and 5 spd. Just a great old truck and I am asked often if I will sell but I keep saying no. I find that the people that ask me if I will sell know TRUCKS !

Econoline 150 01-31-2009 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by flipklos (Post 7015997)

Please take the I love chevy stuff and leave. A 16 yearold with a $900 pickup wants help. Not an argument.

A proud sixer.

The beginning of this thread is inspirational. Too much damn fighing on the internet.
Thank god there's still kids working on their vehicles, not to bash any generation, but this seems to be a dying thing. Maybe because newer vehicles are hard to work on, I don't know.
But, with tough times hitting you might see more shadetreein' going on.
It's a great bond builder between a father (or grandfather) & son. Or, even a daughter, I taught mine how to do the basics. I dont care if they're building a AMC Gremlin, if they are getting there hands dirty they are learning something doing something constructive that will teach them. Better then the kids getting into trouble with the law or doing drugs.
I guess Im a bit off track, but I think its great that we do have forums avabile these days that you can get help on. Heck, I remember our first TV and all we had was a bad black and white picture with bad TV shows !

stanger_missle 01-31-2009 02:37 PM

When I bought my 1995 F150 a few months back, I REALLY wanted a 4.9L. I have never owned a I6, but I want one. I wasn't able to find one locally, so I settled for a 5.0L.

I still watch out for a decent EFI 4.9L truck. I have nothing but respect for the I6. Seems to be the (almost) perfect light truck engine. You just can't go wrong with an engine that was put in all light to medium duty F-Series trucks and is still produced for commercial applications (stationary powerplant, delivery trucks, ect).

No problems from me, my 4.9L/300 bretheren :-bigparty

Milwaukee1979F150 01-31-2009 02:40 PM

well if that youtube say 30 mpg

then here website Cheap High MPG Cars: 1984

it fake? if it got 50 mpg then why 3 makers don't use that engine redesign to pass epa and get great mpgs.

MisterCMK 01-31-2009 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1982bluef150 (Post 7072454)
i love how people that know nothing about how to get fuelk economy are all the sudden experts so **** you guys and oh yea... i used to get 20 mpg in my turck all day long til my exhaust broke

Well then, Mr. Enlightened one, please give us simpletons at least a brief synopsis of how he plans on getting 50mpg in a 318 in a Dodge van.

Econoline 150 02-01-2009 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by MisterCMK (Post 7082155)
Well then, Mr. Enlightened one, please give us simpletons at least a brief synopsis of how he plans on getting 50mpg in a 318 in a Dodge van.

Downhill in a hurricane ? :confused:

Freaksh0w 02-01-2009 11:39 AM

Don't expect an answer that makes sense. We are too 'dumb' to understand what is capable out of V8's (50mpg+ numbers..)

1982bluef150 02-01-2009 12:59 PM

how bout for starters turning it into a 4 cylinder when its up to cruising speeds?

or didnt you think of that... cuz ya kno that would really make a difference'

how about fully ported and polished head water injection completely re worked ecm various other little tweaks to get the fuel to atomize better

its hte 21st century never underestimate technology.... ever wonder why every time you see something "new and cutting edge" on tv.... its at least 3 years old but usually not much older than 10 years?

1982bluef150 02-01-2009 01:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU

never thought jet packs actually existed either?

flipklos 02-01-2009 01:15 PM

Econoline 150 You got it right again. This threads turned into somthing else. But a kid wants help with his engine, help him dont tell him 350/350 tell him honestly what it costs. Help him he'll make the decisions.

BTW-This 318 thing works you can get incredible performance out of an engine by tweaking and do radical things. Go argue this in a diffrent forum as its nothing to do with inline sixes.

1982bluef150 02-01-2009 08:01 PM

i thought fuel economy is one of the reasons we chose an l6 over an 8

kid wants help to make more power... hmm ok that hits close to home... when i was cruising around in my first car with a decent sized 4 cl i wanted more power to... i advanced my timing... dont do it cuz if you do it wrong youll melt pistons real fast but i advanced mine 3 degrees fealt it wake up a little... then my distributor developed this little habbit of vibrating loose and advancing itself thats how i learned if you advance it to much you loose all your bottom end but after say like 4 grand it went like crazy

there ya go if you have a timing light free power

MisterCMK 02-01-2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1982bluef150 (Post 7085202)
how bout for starters turning it into a 4 cylinder when its up to cruising speeds?

or didnt you think of that... cuz ya kno that would really make a difference'

how about fully ported and polished head water injection completely re worked ecm various other little tweaks to get the fuel to atomize better

its hte 21st century never underestimate technology.... ever wonder why every time you see something "new and cutting edge" on tv.... its at least 3 years old but usually not much older than 10 years?

So, MDS like in the new Hemis? That is a huge jump towards 50mpg. Not! My buddy says that his 06 1500 with the Hemi and MDS if you were to drive 50mph with no wind and on relatively flat ground (ie so the engine has little load) that 20mpg is possible. Thats a far sight from 50mpg, dontcha know?

1982bluef150 02-01-2009 09:49 PM

i quit 12345