Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   1995 F250 Diesel Fuel System problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/809707-1995-f250-diesel-fuel-system-problems.html)

DonnieG 01-09-2009 05:32 PM

1995 F250 Diesel Fuel System problems

The fuel filter light comes on the rear tank and starts stalling. I have to switch to the front tank and then when at a light or turning it stalls out when I am on the front tank.. I have put in new fuel pump, transfer valve between the tanks and a few other things. My friend says the hoses to the tanks are not right and I need a schematic for a F250 1995 Diesel 7.3L
I have also cleaned out both tanks and removed the "socks". Also both tanks do not register fuel levels now. I have owned this truck since July. Problem started when have 2 months of running bio fuel the guy switched (without telling me first) that he changed his mixture of Oil 80% and diesel 20% to all oil!

tjbeggs 01-09-2009 05:40 PM

What are you running for fuel now? Was the mixture Biodiesel or just veg oil and diesel mixed?

Action4478 01-09-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by DonnieG (Post 6989385)
The fuel filter light comes on the rear tank and starts stalling. I have to switch to the front tank and then when at a light or turning it stalls out when I am on the front tank.. I have put in new fuel pump, transfer valve between the tanks and a few other things. My friend says the hoses to the tanks are not right and I need a schematic for a F250 1995 Diesel 7.3L
I have also cleaned out both tanks and removed the "socks". Also both tanks do not register fuel levels now. I have owned this truck since July. Problem started when have 2 months of running bio fuel the guy switched (without telling me first) that he changed his mixture of Oil 80% and diesel 20% to all oil!

Sounds like a blockage in the line ....

DonnieG 01-09-2009 07:44 PM

Straight diesel

running straight diesel now. I think the hoses to the tanks are messed by, maybe switched or something. Cant find blockage Need schematic thought where to find?

DonnieG 01-09-2009 07:46 PM

Was...

Was veg oil and diesel

plowhand 01-09-2009 09:32 PM

I don't have a schematic, but you have two fuel lines from each tank (a feed and a return) that go to the tank selector valve. Then two fuel lines (a feed and a return) that go up to the fuel pump and the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator "return line").

c00nhunterjoe 01-09-2009 10:08 PM

did you put air to the lines to check for a blcokage?

MADVAN 01-09-2009 11:43 PM

80% unheated veg will cause havoc to your fuel
and inj system.
Iam shure Jim Rose will chime with his input.

Bill

BlueMule 01-10-2009 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by MADVAN (Post 6990692)
and inj system.

Bill

It can do more than that. Cold oil in a cold engine wont atomize and burn properly and will gum up the rings,once that happens you start scoring the cylinder walls and letting vegoil into the crankcase. Vegoil is not a good lube and you can do some damage to the bearings.

tjbeggs 01-10-2009 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by MADVAN (Post 6990692)
and inj system.

Bill

That's why I asked about the actual fuel. That stuff is bad Juju!!

For this issue at least it does sound like a blockage for the rear tank but the front tank also has some issues as well.

BlueMule 01-10-2009 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by tjbeggs (Post 6991261)
That's why I asked about the actual fuel. That stuff is bad Juju!!

Nah, It's not bad as long as you do it the right way. It has to be clean, dewatered , the engine has to be up to operating temperature and the oil at least 160* before you switch over to it.
At shut down you have to switch back to #2 far enough in advance so that all the veggie has time to be purged out of the system so that the next time you start you're running on #2 and not leftover oil in the system.

OBS PSD's are actually one of the easiest trucks to convert to WVO because we already have dual tanks and internal fuel rails that help heat the oil.

tjbeggs 01-10-2009 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BlueMule (Post 6991422)
Nah, It's not bad as long as you do it the right way. It has to be clean, dewatered , the engine has to be up to operating temperature and the oil at least 160* before you switch over to it.
At shut down you have to switch back to #2 far enough in advance so that all the veggie has time to be purged out of the system so that the next time you start you're running on #2 and not leftover oil in the system.

OBS PSD's are actually one of the easiest trucks to convert to WVO because we already have dual tanks and internal fuel rails that help heat the oil.

Rodney, I know all that but there was no mention of any of that stuff so I simply assumed he was running 80/20 just like he would regular #2. That's BAD! There is a right way and a wrong way to run WVO just like there is a right way and wrong way to make BD.

DonnieG 01-10-2009 07:47 PM

AIr in lines

I'll check for blockage next and get back to you all Thnaks!

Eric_F250 01-10-2009 09:52 PM

from the first post... "Also both tanks do not register fuel levels now"

would this be caused by blocked lines?

silly question (maybe) but are you sure both tanks have sufficient fuel to run?