Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mississippi Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum215/)
-   -   Y'all ever do this . . . (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/808987-yall-ever-do-this.html)

Mitchissippi 01-06-2009 09:36 PM

Y'all ever do this . . .

The F-250 has a slight miss. So, Sunday evening I thought I'd change the plugs. Started with the one hardest to get to, and got it changed. Worked on the next one for 45 minutes and gave up. I was tired. Wore out!

Tonight, I popped the hood and had that plug out in about 2 minutes.

mds47588 01-06-2009 10:06 PM

Yes, more times than I care to count I've worked on something and got frustrated and quit for whatever reasons. Then came back sometime later with a "fresh" mind and, voila! Task complete!!

Now finish your story please sir, did you get all the plugs out and are ya running smoother now?

When I started with my truck it had a bad miss to at times it was barely driveable. I had replaced all the ignition components, coil, TFI, vacuum hoses, and with each new part added it kept getting smoother and smoother. Now it idles steady and not the slightest bit of miss.

Mitchissippi 01-06-2009 10:44 PM

I got 1 thru 4 replaced and ran out of plugs. Actually, I have one more, but 4:00 a.m. is gonna get here quick. So, I decided to take a quick spin, check the net, and hit the hay.

The miss is still there - no change. I'll pick up more plugs tomorrow and see what that does. I'm running one of those ebay special distributors that has the HEI components. It's new and the plug wires are new. Figgered I'd freshen up the plugs first.

I did notice that the EGR (I think that's what it is) thingy on the back of the intake is loose fitting and has - what looks like window chaulk all over it. I may have a vacuum leak back there. I'm gonna be in that area soon installing an oil pressure gauge, so I'll fix all that while I'm back there.

3golfjack 03-25-2009 08:53 PM

I know what you mean by getting frustrated and wanting to come back later. I work at a pharmaceutical in Memphis as a process mechanic which means I spend a lot of time on call in duty on weekends. I had one saturday night in which I got called in at 1 am and when I got there they said a pump had went out, so the first thing I do is tear the pump down and check the diaphrams, they look ok so I tear the entire pump apart and put it back together and the pump makes two cycles and quites so I spend another hour taking the pump apart and putting it back together. This time the pump makes two cycles and quites again, that's when you reach the point where you just want to get away. By the way my problem ended up being a blockage downsteam from the pump.

662billybob101 03-25-2009 09:30 PM

i do that all the time sometimes i wonder why i tried so hard the first time. i dont know maby it's frustration lol

PerfDistIgnition 04-14-2009 01:57 PM

[quote=Mitchissippi;6978192]I got 1 thru 4 replaced and ran out of plugs. Actually, I have one more, but 4:00 a.m. is gonna get here quick. So, I decided to take a quick spin, check the net, and hit the hay.

The miss is still there - no change. I'll pick up more plugs tomorrow and see what that does. I'm running one of those ebay special distributors that has the HEI components.

Be cautious on those ebay HEI's.

Please note that our DUI's are:

1) Custom curved on a distributor machine based on your engine specs.
2) We have excellent tech support-each Distributor is issued an individual I.D. Number, so that if you change cams, pistons, etc., or want to put the DUI distributor in another motor in the future, you can call us with your ID number, have us pull your file, and then discuss whether or not you need to change your advance curve.
3) You talk to one of our employees-in Memphis, TN-not someone in another country. We are a family business that believes in the performance and racing industry

Performance Distributors - High Performance and Racing Ignition Systems