Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust Systems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum65/)
-   -   5.4, what exhaust system is best???? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/80870-5-4-what-exhaust-system-is-best.html)

biglevi71 12-04-2002 11:35 PM

5.4, what exhaust system is best????

Well it is finaly time! I am ready to add an exhaust system to my new truck. I do have some questions. 1) What system is the best concerning power and mpg gains? 2) What system is the most durable, and what do they typically cost including install. (I do not weld worth a darn). 3) How will a new system affect the 3 year 36,000 mile warantee on my truck. Ford said it would just void the exhaust system, but I want to make sure. 4) Where is a good place to get the systems? I am also considering the K&N system as well (what do you all know about or think about the K&N?). 5) With either ad on, will I have to change my computer settings?

I think I want dual exhaust, with the pipes exiting just behind both rear wheels. I want the deep rumble at low RPM's, but not too much noise when cruising down the HWY. I generally like a quite ride, but I heard a truck with a sweet setup the other day, and decided to go ahead and get started. I tow a little, is this set up okay? Thank you guys for any info. I am exicted to start planning this project. I live in Colorado Springs if anyone knows a good local shop here to do the work. Thanks, Levi

02 F150 4x4 5.4 V8, 3.55 limited slip, sport.

Dolby4040 12-19-2002 10:14 PM

I am looking for the same thing.
Thanks

flatlanders1 12-30-2002 06:35 AM

I am interested in doing the same for my 2002 F150 5.4L (3.55 gear).

blacklightningf150 12-30-2002 05:15 PM

Ok its not the most legal way.... but i had my muffler removed and a filler piece put in i had them weld on a chrome exhaust tip also this was exited out the normal passenger side position great low end sound and nice rumble down the road not loud at all for a straight pipe i was goona get Flomaster muffler have it installed then get one later to make duals but the mechanic told me not to because adding another muffler later would cauze problems with sound and pressure so i went with the straight pipe sounded good the 5.4L is a great sounding engine.... i no longer own the truck but the plan was to run dual out behind the rear wheels with no mufflers... there not needed for emisions here so that was also a factor but if the cops checked theyed of fined me LOL that when u give er on the backroads and keep er to a rumble in town

akford351 12-30-2002 06:02 PM

On the 5.4 I have heard: no muffler, a gibson split rear exit, a 50 series flowmaster and 40 series flowmaster deltaflow. My favorite was the 40 series. Very sweet sounding set-up. Second favorite was no muffler... was loud but didn't have a rich/refined tone for my taste. Gibson had a nice tone but VERY quiet. 50 series was quieter than the 40 series and almost seemed deeper...tailpipe configuration also dictates the sound.

I wouldn't expect TOO much improvement by just changing your exhaust from the cat-back so pick the one that SOUNDS the best to you, but stick with 2.5" pipe. Exiting in front of the pass tire will be louder on the inside and out the back will be the quietest on the inside, with dumps underneath being the loudest/deepest. Adding a K&N filter will open up your intake and add alightly more "rumble" to the sound of your exhaust. :-X17 Sleepy yet?? Sorry for the lenghty post but you guys seemed like you needed this info.
Ray

SMSP 12-30-2002 09:41 PM

The problem with the aluminized welded baffled type mufflers are they will rust out. I just installed a Magnaflow cat back system on my brother-in-law's 01 Surburan and it has a very nice sound to it and his wife even likes it so you know it's not to loud. The only problem was one of the hangers was about 7" off so I had to weld a new one on. Check out the magnaflow products at www.magnaflow.com they have some nice straight thru designs that are packed with stainless steel mesh and a hi temp sound deadening material, the result is good power gains and they also offer a lifetime warranty on their pieces.

akford351 12-31-2002 11:57 AM

I haven't had any experience with Flowmasters rusting out on me yet and I live in a very harsh saltwater environment. Buddy of mine has had his for 3 years so far and no probs. I agree that Magnaflow will yield a greater HP gain over Flowmaster when installing a full exhaust system. But when we are just changing the muffler and tailpipe post catalytic converter I don't think any significant HP gains will happen. I picked flowmaster becuase of the unique sound it makes... I know I know. Everybody and their brother has one but hey, they just sound great!! Everyone runs stuff that they like and this is just my opinion on a product that has been successful to me.
Ray

chuckman 01-02-2003 01:25 PM