Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Pics of IWE solenoid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/807509-pics-of-iwe-solenoid.html)

dino360 11-05-2014 02:58 PM

Just replaced mine with the new version and 4 hi seems to work as it should. The light comes right on and right of when 4hi is selected. I even repaired the vacuum leak I found on the line connected to the top vacuum port when I was replacing the solenoid. I am however noticing difficulty shifting into 4 low where I had none before. I hadn't gotten the truck stuck yet since I bought it a week ago but wanted to make sure everything was was working. I found some Sandy hills behind my house and went in 2 hi til it got stuck. I kicked on 4 hi and the dash light lit up and rear wheels quit spinning but the engine bogged down as if the additional traction from the front was too much for it with the over sized tires so I shifted into neutral and flipped the switch to 4 low but it remained in 4hi. I rocked the truck back and forth a bit and shifted berween all ranges while in neutral but still stayed in 4hi. I tried shifting back to 2 hi then 4hi and 4 low while in neutral but still couldn't get passed 4hi. I was able to get out in 4hi and tried again on level ground with the same results. I drove around a bit and tried a few more times and it finally worked but takes longer than it did before and the wait time varies when before it was shifting fine and consistently in about 5 seconds. Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

dino360 11-13-2014 09:07 PM

My problem is solved. Before I tell you how and y'all label me an idiot I'd like to say in my defense that I feel like my experience was working against me. I've owned every body style of 4x4 1975-2003 and in every one the 4lo procedure has always been transmission in neutral then shift from 4hi to 4lo, simple. This newer style truck that I've owned only a couple weeks requires the brake to be applied in order to make that shift (it didn't have an owners manual or the sticker on the visor explaining the 4x4 operating procedure either). I never had reason to apply the brake in a stuck vehicle or a situation that requires low range but this solved my problem. Apply the brake and it shifts perfectly. Hope this helps someone or at least gives someone a good laugh.

mot250 11-19-2014 11:20 AM

Does anyone know where the solenoids are for the IWE system on a 2008 Expedition (EL Limited)? They are not on the firewall and the battery is on the passenger side near the radiator support. Otherwise, I'll proceed with tracing the vacuum lines backwards from the IWEs over this coming weekend when it warms up a bit here in Northern IL. Hopefully it won't be raining. Then I can start testing for vacuum leaks through the system (hoses, check valves, solenoids).

I have just started to track down my 4X4 issues. I've only had this vehicle since July 2014 so I don't know its history. The IWEs do not disengage in 2HI and I do not think they are making any of the grinding sounds everyone talks about indicating they are attempting to disengage.

When trying to switch to 4A using the dash switch, I sometimes get the "shift in progress" message on the dash but i do not get the "AUTO" indicator after that. I tried rapping on the shift motor with a rubber mallet and one time after that I did see a very brief flash of "AUTO" in the message center but that went away quickly.

I get no further indications on the dash if I rotate the switch further to 4H.

I do hear a clunk in the transfer case and get a 4Lo message when I turn the selector to 4L. Pulling forward, the Expedition will crawl.

I will be jacking it up over the weekend with all wheels off the ground to see if the front axle is being "driven" with the selector in 4H and 4L.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. I already read through the now 24 page "Everything you wanted...IWE system and then some" thread. Long read but full of information. The only thing I did not see in that thread is where the solenoids might be on the 08 Expedition.

teammaico 01-28-2015 05:42 PM

IWE or Not

I am so confused. I see all the IWE post but they all list trucks from like 2003 to 2007. Does my 2010 F150 4X4 have an IWE or some other device that locks and unlocks the hub??? I have the same grinding noise in my front end as described here on this thread.

I need to fix this in my truck.

TeamMaico