Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum190/)
-   -   January BS Thread, All Welcome! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/807327-january-bs-thread-all-welcome.html)

fabmandelux 01-05-2009 01:08 PM

The wife and I have lived out here in the desert for over 30 years and would'nt live anywhere else! My nearest neighbors are over 6 miles away. We live at the 2,000 foot level, and Mt Saint Helens can be seen from my front porch...........

bertha66 01-05-2009 01:53 PM

I also have lived out here for over 30 years, got here in 75. Came strait here from the US Navy and the far east. Old93junk, La Pine is a ways out there, in n more ways than one. I have 2 acres, but the house is dead center of the lot.

Old93junk 01-05-2009 02:21 PM

La Pine would be my choice, close enough but not too close to Bend for the wife. Smack dab in the middle of the lakes for my fishing, close to Christmas valley for varmint shooting, plenty of other good hunting/fishing opportunity's. Brother has a summer place on the Little Deshutes river, absolutely love it ........Now if I could just get done with this "work" garbage!.

dchamberlain 01-05-2009 04:40 PM

I've lived in Redmond and Madras. A long time ago, though. Central Oregon is getting to be to big for me. Too many people moving in.

I'm living in a little town about 100 miles SE of La Pine down Hwy 31. About 200 and some odd people. It's definitely out there. But it suits me.

Old93junk 01-05-2009 04:50 PM

I think I know that "little town", but I wont name it. Its not nice to ruin other peoples solitude, sounds like youve got it made!

bertha66 01-06-2009 03:16 PM

I've been down hwy 31, went that wat in 1999 to go to Hot August Nights with my Galaxie. Loved the drive down there.

dchamberlain 01-07-2009 12:21 PM

Too many people don't see the Oregon high desert for anything more than sagebrush and desolation. I'm always amazed to see folks cruising through in their luxery cars at 80MPH with their eye's straight forward not seeing a damn thing.

It's rare that I drive the 45 miles from here to Lakeview and back that I don't see deer or antelope or cranes or something. Heck, there is a herd of deer that live here in town and eat grass in my back yard.

I see the 1000ft thick hunk of rock that is Abert Rim and am just amazed. I like to take the truck out. I'm somewhat into Geocaching if anyone knows what that is. I've stood on top of mountain peaks at 8000+ feet elevation where there are or used to be fire lookouts and you can see for a hundred miles in any direction.

As far as I'm concerned this country is far more scenic and beautiful than the wall of tree trunks and traffic I see when I go to the valley.

If anyone is interested, I've taken a lot of pictures since I moved here. My online photo album is Albums. The scenic pictures are mixed in there with all the pictures of my family and dogs, etc.

bertha66 01-07-2009 01:34 PM

I'm with you on the High Dessert. I have been in Prineville sense 1975 adn I love taking the back roads around here just to see what's out there. My wife and I ride our bike out the back roads in the summer as much as we can, just to look.

fabmandelux 01-07-2009 01:58 PM

We must be twin brothers from different mothers!:-X0A6

I've been all over the US, and lived in Europe and never found anyplace that stirs my soul like Eastern Oregon. As I type this I can see Mt Saint He lens today from my office, it must be at least 200 miles away! If I go walk 200' up the hill I can see Mt Hood AND Mt Adams.............I live 27 miles south of I-84 and drive the George a lot, and often wonder what the people screaming down the interstate are thinking. They have no idea what is out here just a few miles away. I can be on the water in less than 30 min, or it the pines in 30 min. What a deal!:-drink

I'll have to go and check out your pics now............I've been a amateur geologist and a gold miner for over 40 years, and have spent a lot of time in the mountains of Oregon. ( and yes I've been to Steens Mt, Massive!)

Maybe we are lucky we don't have freeways all over Oregon, less people to see the beauty we see on a daily basis. I say we keep it to ourselves.............:-jammin

Old93junk 01-07-2009 03:34 PM

Steens Mountains, great hunting and incredible scenery!. Love the desert, great fishing at Mann lake for huge trout. Still kind of partial to the high Country though, hike in brook trout fishing in small lakes north of Waldo lake is out of this world. Incredible alpine scenery!

bertha66 01-07-2009 05:20 PM

I drive to work each day looking at the 3 Sisters, Mt Washington, Mt Jefferson, Smith Rock. Best way to get a good mind set for going to work, as long as you don't keep on driving and forget about work.:-missingt

fabmandelux 01-07-2009 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by bertha66 (Post 6981009)
I drive to work each day looking at the 3 Sisters, Mt Washington, Mt Jefferson, Smith Rock. Best way to get a good mind set for going to work, as long as you don't keep on driving and forget about work.:-missingt

Shhhhhhhhh.............I thought we were going to keep it quiet...................:eek:

Our old Governor Tom McCall said it best..........."come and visit, than go back home" :-tap

Old93junk 01-07-2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 6981410)
Shhhhhhhhh.............I thought we were going to keep it quiet...................:eek:

Our old Governor Tom McCall said it best..........."come and visit, than go back home" :-tap

Yes, keep it quiet. as I tell relatives from calif., "All it does here is rain, 365 days a year."

fabmandelux 01-07-2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 6981691)
Yes, keep it quiet. as I tell relatives from calif., "All it does here is rain, 365 days a year."

But it does where you live......................:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

55 and sunny here today!

Old93junk 01-07-2009 07:37 PM

Not today, 59 and cloudy/ windy.........but the rain is coming.