Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   Boost Pulley (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/807115-boost-pulley.html)

SALEEN IN BLACK 01-01-2009 02:51 PM

Boost Pulley

What all do you need to change boost to 10 LB. and tune 2008 F-150 S/C 5.4 SALEEN?

Plugs ?
MAF ?
Injectors ?
Upper Pulley?

Know for sure the dyno and the programer.

FTE Ken 01-01-2009 02:56 PM

Change the lower pulley.

Plugs, if you're running HT0s (should be in there) you need to gap them down to 35-38. Normally they are set to 42. They aren't supposed to be able to be gapped, but there's a trick to get it done (let me know if you need to know the procedure). If you're runnng Brisk plugs you'll need to gap them down as well, they can be gapped as they use a standard plug end.

Injectors are okay.

The MAF... the Saleen damn near maxes out the MAF with normal boost and tune, and there are reports from tuners that it will completely max out with more boost. I recommend you get SCT's MAF for the truck.

Who's going to be tuning it?

SALEEN IN BLACK 01-01-2009 03:03 PM

Theres an SCT tuner in Memphis area.

FTE Ken 01-01-2009 06:34 PM

Make sure he has plenty of F150 and F150 Saleen experience. Tuning these properly for the best drive quality, power and longevity is a lot different than the Mustangs. :)

SALEEN IN BLACK 01-02-2009 07:42 AM

$

Tuner plus tune
Plugs
Boost Pulley to make a total of 10 LBS
Belt
3 pulls on the DYNO
Not sure of the MAF
Total turn key and out the door for:
$1200.00 = BIG GRIN

HOW DOES THIS SOUND? SCT DEALER

GerRod 01-02-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by FTE Ken (Post 6954981)
Make sure he has plenty of F150 and F150 Saleen experience. Tuning these properly for the best drive quality, power and longevity is a lot different than the Mustangs. :)

+1, my truck was dyno tuned by a mustang shop one summer. Once I got to the cooler fall and winter temperatures, it started pinging (detonation). I took it back and the tuner changed the tune 4 times and couldn't get it to stop. He then claimed something was wrong with my truck. I then got tunes from Troyer Performance and the pinging went away. Be careful with these shops.

SALEEN IN BLACK 01-02-2009 08:56 AM

How does the price compare for the work to be done. Thanks also for the words of wisdom. TOO much money invested to be putting another mtr. in.

FTE Ken 01-02-2009 06:57 PM

Mike Troyer often does a better job mail order with supercharged trucks than many shops do with your truck on the dyno because he specializes in F150 and has done a ton of Roushcharger, Lightning, Saleen trucks, etc. Check them out at TroyerPerformance.com and call them. If you let them know you're from Ford-trucks.com (they'll ask for your user id) they usually give a good discount. Don't expect to get your tunes in a week, Mike is in high demand.

SALEEN IN BLACK 01-10-2009 10:10 AM

$$$

What Is The Dia. Of The Sc Pulley That Comes On The 2008 Harley? What Is The Size Of The +2? Put A 3.40 On Yesterday And Saw No More Boost!

sman113 02-12-2009 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SALEEN IN BLACK (Post 6991471)
What Is The Dia. Of The Sc Pulley That Comes On The 2008 Harley? What Is The Size Of The +2? Put A 3.40 On Yesterday And Saw No More Boost!

3.2 for +2 lbs. and 3.0 for +4lbs.

You need a bigger MAF housing and a custom tune before adding any boost. The stock MAF is already maxed out at stock boost, so if you add boost you will vent your block.

My suggestion would be to order the kit from JDM or Troyer.

SALEEN IN BLACK 02-12-2009 11:25 AM

correct

Thanks for the response. I'LL take your advice. The thing is running better with more miles on it. Sure needs a pulley and tune to get that real get up an go that they lack. One fine truck. Love the ride and drive. Thanks again.

Saleen109 03-03-2009 03:43 PM

Pegging out MAF

I know this has been posted a while back but with new information available I though it was a good idea to provide what I haev learned. Since buying my S331 in January I have had EXTENSIVELY long conversations with MIke Troyer about boost upgrades for my truck and here is what i finally decided to go with. I got the stage 1 kit from mike which includes the Boost pulley, Sct programmer, and cold air kit. He says with their experience of this kit on the saleens the dyno has repeatedly shown an increase in horsepower in the 100 range. And the point to my post is the kit DOESNT include a new MAF because according to MIke, it is NOT pegged out stock nor will it be with this kit upgrade. Just FYI for those who have heard or been led to believe that it is. I feel pretty sure that MIke is a reputable source and trust with his experience with this truck and motor that he knows what he is talking about.

SALEEN IN BLACK 03-06-2009 06:37 AM

yes

Will wake the sleeping beauty up. Not sure about the HP gain. Depends on other things as well. 400 hp @ the rw and 450 torque after install. You'll need some cheese for the whine. The S/C WILL TELL YOU IT IS THERE FOR SURE.8D

Adamg247 03-12-2009 12:22 PM

I have an 07 HD Saleen Truck. Mike Troyer did a SCT tune set for me via mailorder. Truck runs great and I could not be happier with Troyer service. I did not go with a larger pully just yet. Truck only has 6K miles on it and I don't want to mess with the warranty yet. About the MAF on the Saleen set up. I am pretty sure Mike did tell me that I would need a larger airbox with the pulley upgrade as the MAF is very close to maxing out. Perhaps Mike can comment directly and calrify if I have some facts incorect here.

sman113 04-08-2009 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Saleen109 (Post 7215507)
I know this has been posted a while back but with new information available I though it was a good idea to provide what I haev learned. Since buying my S331 in January I have had EXTENSIVELY long conversations with MIke Troyer about boost upgrades for my truck and here is what i finally decided to go with. I got the stage 1 kit from mike which includes the Boost pulley, Sct programmer, and cold air kit. He says with their experience of this kit on the saleens the dyno has repeatedly shown an increase in horsepower in the 100 range. And the point to my post is the kit DOESNT include a new MAF because according to MIke, it is NOT pegged out stock nor will it be with this kit upgrade. Just FYI for those who have heard or been led to believe that it is. I feel pretty sure that MIke is a reputable source and trust with his experience with this truck and motor that he knows what he is talking about.

You do not need a new MAF. You need a bigger housing for the MAF. This is why he provides a CAI with his kit. With out a bigger MAF housing you WILL peg out your MAF if you add boost. Call him again or call JDM.

Also... those of you that keep saying just change the lower pulley and not the s/c pulley. It's not that simple. The Saleen blower runs on one belt. The same belt that drives your AC, power steering, alternator, etc... It's not like the Roush or the Whipple that have a seperate s/c belt. If you change your lower pulley with the Saleen blower you with alter the operating speeds of all your belt driven accessories.