Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   How do I get the Rear View Mirror Glue off my windshield (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/806557-how-do-i-get-the-rear-view-mirror-glue-off-my-windshield.html)

Ethan89 12-30-2008 07:06 PM

How do I get the Rear View Mirror Glue off my windshield

A few years ago I bought the glue and fixed my rear view mirror that feel off. Now it has fallen off again. This time the plastic piece on the windshield broke but is still on the window along with the glue. What is the best way to get this off and clean it?
Charlie

Jermafenser 12-30-2008 07:34 PM

I used Goo-Gone when mine broke off. Great all-purpose adhesive/paint remover.

rainbowATF 12-30-2008 07:55 PM

The glue is basicly superglue. Acetone (real nail polish remover, not the eco stuff) should soften and remove it. A single edge razor blade will help. Don't get to physical by chipping away at it; you can chip your windshield ( how do I know?). Acetone also melts plastic, paint etc. So mask off, work careful and use drop cloths.

White EddieB 12-30-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rainbowATF (Post 6946534)
The glue is basicly superglue. Acetone (real nail polish remover, not the eco stuff) should soften and remove it. A single edge razor blade will help. Don't get to physical by chipping away at it; you can chip your windshield ( how do I know?). Acetone also melts plastic, paint etc. So mask off, work careful and use drop cloths.

Make sure the windshield is absolutely clean when applying the new glue, and warm too.

Gevans17 12-30-2008 09:49 PM

razor blade

jnewkirk77 12-31-2008 04:22 AM

I've always used an old rag soaked with acetone -- wring it out so it doesn't drip -- to soften the glue as was recommended, and then scraped the glue off with a razor blade. If you soften it up well, a dull razor blade will work. I would recommend a dull blade to avoid scratching the glass. Trust me on this!!!

Once you get all the glue off, you can use rubbing alcohol or ammonia to clean the glass prior to re-gluing the mirror mount. When you do this, don't mount the mirror itself for about 24 to 48 hours. You want that glue to set up really, really hard.

db916gt 12-31-2008 05:39 PM

Razor blade and Acetone... or the stuff that comes in the new glue kit... OOOOHHHH that is acetone.... But seriously, the razor blade helps get the chunks off of the glass and the stuff cleans it up and makes it ready for the next gluing.

One other option...}> Buy a new windshield.. LOL... just kidding.:-jammin

Happy New Year
DB916GT

quicklook2 12-31-2008 06:09 PM

use epoxy to keep it on.

put only the bracket on, let dry 10 minutes, put packing tape over it to hold it down tight, leave overnight, pull tape off carefully, put on mirror.

colemanw 12-31-2008 09:30 PM

razor blade is the quickest and cleanest

bullredguy 01-01-2009 11:40 AM

that's the problem with replacement plastic brackets they sit there in the sun all the time and get brittle be careful and warm it slowly i use a disposable type lighter and just dance the flame on it to bring the temp up nice and even use a pair of needle nose pliers and grasp the bracket and wiggle it slowly and you will notice the bracket will come right off dont use excessive force or you will be repacing the glass. as you have seen on newer modle trucks and all that they now black out the area where the mirror attaches to to the glass to prevent the uv light from burning the glue and your mirror falling off