Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Ball Joint Press (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/803227-ball-joint-press.html)

Capt.Schenk 12-19-2008 10:03 AM

Ball Joint Press

Anyone have a recommendation on a ball joint press? I'm thinking about replacing the ball joints myself when I replace the hub bearings this weekend.

Cuda_jim 12-19-2008 10:13 AM

You can rent one for free at places like Autozone. If you are going to buy one I suggest going with a high quality unit, OTC, Snap-on, ect. About $200 last time I checked.
The cheapies will self destruct after a couple uses.
Be sure to get the 4x4 accessories for the press.

Capt.Schenk 12-19-2008 10:20 AM

How about the "driver" used to set the knuckle seal? Are those usually available for rent, or do I need to buy one?

Cuda_jim 12-19-2008 01:57 PM

Not sure if they will have the seal driver, I just wing it and find a piece if pipe or something that will do the job.

NWBronco 12-19-2008 02:12 PM

I kinda hate to do this to Cuda, but, I bought the cheapo from Harbor Feight and have done about 10 front ends now with it. It's alreasy paid for itself.

Got lucky...

Bob

jeep1947 12-19-2008 02:16 PM

Same here bought the $39.00 one from Harbor Freight already done 4 front ends with it so I think I got my moneys worth. Besides if I loan it out and someone breaks it no big deal.

Cuda_jim 12-19-2008 06:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys. Maybe I'll give them a try, my OTC is about 10 years old, well used, and it getting a little ratty.

arkredneck 12-19-2008 07:51 PM

get the harbor frieght press its nice

BadDogPSD 12-20-2008 11:03 AM

I broke my Harbor Freight press... the 'C' cracked.:confused:

Cuda_jim 12-20-2008 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogPSD (Post 6906596)
I broke my Harbor Freight press... the 'C' cracked.:confused:

Crap, That's what I was afraid of. I was going to get one today....just went on sale for $29.99.
Quality control isn't one of their strong points LOL. I've bought a few tools from them...some lived, some didn't.

Has anyone used the 4x4 adapter kit? $54.99 on sale today.
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
I can always use more adapters for my OTC press.....guess I'm keeping it.
It's been bullet proof for over 10 years and 100's of ball joint & u joint replacements.

RMPC 12-20-2008 06:17 PM

That 4x4 adapter kit looks like a good one... I need one myself... been using a piece of galvanized pipe I found and machined it to fit ...last time I did the uppers, I drilled and installed a tiny 90 degree JD metric grease fitting in bottom of the joint... it clears the u joint by slightly over a whisker and I hit it with a couple shots of lubriplate grease. Seems to make em live longer. I've got an OTC kit... hope I never break it... OTC's customer service / repair....... uhhhhhhhh....SUCKS??

Cuda_jim 12-21-2008 06:45 AM

Yah! me to, I've made a bunch of adapters but they are all soft steel....doesn't hold up well to the abuse. LOL.
I'll be the guinea pig to see if they hold up.
I use moog joints, they come with grease fittings but don't use the them...too tall.
I use the shortest 90º greasers I can find and grind the top off a little bit too. They're
close but don't hit the axle u-joints unless the spindle needle bearings wear
out....good indicator for replacement when the fitting is gone :)

Don't know anything about OTC customer service...never needed it.