Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Need help softening the ride... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/798060-need-help-softening-the-ride.html)

jgwyatt 12-01-2008 06:15 PM

Need help softening the ride...

I have a question I would like to pose to the group. I currently own a 2006 Expedition. However, my wife is looking to replace her car so I am willing to give it up for her to drive.

I have a F250 at work that I can have if I want it. It is an FX4 2005 with 123,600 miles on it. It has a brand new transmission and not a scratch on it. All in all, it looks great. The only problem I have is the rigid ride in it. I have searched through the forums and have come up with a post titled: FX4 is a waste (post2702400).

I am wondering if changing the shocks is going to give it a good ride? Are there any other options? Would I need to look at replacing the springs as well? Would air suspension do it for me? I am budgeting about $2000 for ride improvement.

I am looking for a ride that will allow me to sip on a cup of coffee without a lid on it in the mornings driving down Alabama Interstates (poor condition concrete and old asphalt...Alabama should say enough).

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

John Wyatt

Fordfanatic4life 12-01-2008 06:23 PM

its a heavy duty truck..

its never gunna ride like a pillow..

but good quality shocks can go along ways to making the ride better..personaly i luv the stiff spring ride of the super duties..its what makes it a truck after all..

if u want a car-like ride buy a GM truck, they are basicly overgrown cars anyways..

8-)

HeavyAssault 12-01-2008 06:25 PM

Try some Bilsteins before dumping $2k at a simple fix. If you decide to upgrade the suspension I'd recommend a leveling kit or a lift kit.

patrickke 12-01-2008 06:27 PM

you can get away with some other shocks, if you put air-ride on it you have to watch which ones you get bc i had some on my ranchero and they took away from the smooth ride...

WhëëlMå1 12-01-2008 07:12 PM

What do you run your tires at? If you are not regularly hauling huge loads, you can take some #s out, and even the ride a bit..... thats a free upgrade. :)

jgwyatt 12-01-2008 08:25 PM

Thanks for the input all.
I guess I will try the Bilsteins. It sounds like they have a good reputation. Is changing shocks a do-it-yourself project? The most complicated project I have ever done is changed brakes.

As far as air-ride, that will probably be last resort and overkill for me (probably will not happen). If I were going that way I would look into the Talon air ride. Heard any good or bad on that?

I will also check on the #s. I like free!

JW

fordman8 12-01-2008 08:32 PM

Load range D tires make a difference also.

aortizexcursion 12-01-2008 08:57 PM

Maybe you should consider these. I have never tried them myself, but from what I've read here on the forums, they seem to provide positive results.

mhoefer 12-01-2008 09:19 PM

Shocks and run pressure for the weight being carried will make a big diff. THere are data tables by 1 psi increments for weight per tire.

For real air ride, its Keldermen air ride systems, but it will be WAY more than 2k......

QwkTrip 12-01-2008 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life (Post 6832979)
if u want a car-like ride buy a GM truck, they are basicly overgrown cars anyways..

All the big three 3/4 ton trucks ride alike. I have a 2002 Chevy Duramax with Bilstien silver shocks on the front for an F250, and shocks on the rear for a Dodge 2500.

Originally Posted by jgwyatt (Post 6832939)
I have a F250 at work that I can have if I want it..... I am wondering if changing the shocks is going to give it a good ride?

Choosing shocks comes down to personal preference. Do you want a very controlled ride, or do you like to feel a little buoyant? Some people think one way is "smoother" and vice versa.

With the Bilstien silvers the ride on my Chevy went from firm and harsh to firm but very controlled. After a few months the ride got noticeably smoother. Bilstien tunes shocks for a loaded truck. The ride will feel very firm driving empty but you won't bounce or skitter on most roads.

I don't know about other brands, but I'm sure somebody can chime in about a type of shock that has the buoyant feel. In this case you will have a more floaty ride driving empty, but less control loaded and towing.

Often times the front rides fine but the rear is harsh. You might look into a set of Sulastic springs. They install between the rear leaf hanger and the chassis. The purpose is to provide a short range of motion with a soft spring rate so the truck rides smoother on paved roads. However, the Sulastics are rated for only a few years and have to be serviced with new rubber.

At the end of the day a 3/4 ton truck is going to have a firm ride. If you want a smoother ride it might be more sensible to get an F150. The tow ratings are getting awfully good and you will have the better ride and off-road capability of a 1/2 ton truck.

krewat 12-02-2008 09:01 AM

Get the spring code from the door sticker and post it here. I suspect you might have a snow-plow prep package, or heavy-service suspension package.

If they are a heavier front spring, you might get some relief with a softer front spring.

It all depends on what you mean by "rough". When you hit a bump, does the truck jump up? Or does it just vibrate the whole truck? If it's just vibration, shocks will help that a lot. If the truck actually jumps up quick, that's the springs being too stiff.

Tire pressure helps a lot too :-X22

HeavyAssault 12-02-2008 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jgwyatt (Post 6833524)
Thanks for the input all.
I guess I will try the Bilsteins. It sounds like they have a good reputation. Is changing shocks a do-it-yourself project? The most complicated project I have ever done is changed brakes.

As far as air-ride, that will probably be last resort and overkill for me (probably will not happen). If I were going that way I would look into the Talon air ride. Heard any good or bad on that?

I will also check on the #s. I like free!

JW

If you can change brakes you can swap shocks. Just don't let them get over extended, talk about some pressure to move them for bolt hole alignment.

I don't recommend Load Range D tires, unless you absolutely need to swap. I run 60 psi in my ATZs and it rides more comfortable than at 65psi.

DonJames 12-02-2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life (Post 6832979)
its a heavy duty truck..

its never gunna ride like a pillow....

EXACTLY! Its not meant to ride like a Lincoln Town Car! Really, any mods you do to soften the ride would make it worthless as a heavy hauler.

DbigD 04-07-2013 01:29 AM

Old thread but I can't find anything else. FNG here so be kind.
What about Deaver soft spring pack with adjustable shocks like the Rancho 9000?
Maybe an air bag for heavy loads when needed?