Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bronco II (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum34/)
-   -   wont shift into drive... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/793503-wont-shift-into-drive.html)

baddmove 11-16-2008 03:19 PM

wont shift into drive...

Hey guys.. my tranny wont shift into drive for some reason until it warms up, or so it seems. i can shift into first gear and 2nd gear ,which will shift from 1st to second...but when i put it in Drive..it goes back to first gear..until it warms up....then it acts normally....do i need to get the fluid and filter changed? i am on a tight budget here....so plz send good news...lol......thanx Bob

my72ford 11-16-2008 07:41 PM

has the filter and fluid ever been changed? if not, i would start there, does the fluid look or smell burnt? if it does you may have a pump on the way out. from what you are describing sounds like either a clogged filter or a pump is almost toast. let us know what you find

97Centurion 11-16-2008 08:26 PM

If a fluid and filter change doesn't help, you might try some Lucas Transmission additive as a last resort. I've seen that stuff help a lot of transmission. Of course it's a temporary fix if it works. But it may buy you some time. Only put in what the directions say. Too much is a bad thing.

baddmove 11-18-2008 11:08 AM

well..i added some lucas to it and it is still doing the same thing in drive...my Q is..can i change the filter myself and if so, what does it look like? i dont have a prob workin on my own vehicle, but i have never changed out a tranny filter.....thanx guys

my72ford 11-18-2008 02:15 PM

all you have to do is drop the tranny pan {at the bottom of tranny} then the filter is right there you cannot miss it. most filter kits come with a pan gasket. drain as much of the fluid as you can before refilling, and DO NOT OVERFILL IT. if that doesn't do it,you probably have a pump on the way out.

Eddiec1564 11-18-2008 03:04 PM

A stuck governor causes that problem. Before my A4ld blew the OD input gear hub it was doing that delayed shifting. I was tolded to get the goveneor apart and clean it and that should fix your problem. But my trany gernaded the OD assy and I never found out if that does work. From what I see on the old tranny on the ground, you should be able to get the Gov out with tranny in place, just remove the Xfer case or tail of transmission, Look into the tranny, you will see the Governor held inplace on the parking sproket by 2 bolts. Best bet it is to drop and clean the valvebody,mine was full of crap and caused my problem to get worse by jamming the tranny into two gears(somehow) and the weakest link failed(OD input gear basket). Kinda funny when it skidded the rear tires and stalled the engine at the same time... NOT!
I replaced the A4LD with one from a 91 4.0L explorer, direct bolt in and better built guts for the 4.0L engine

baddmove 11-18-2008 03:58 PM

ok..thanx guys. i just replaced the filter and fluid and it was pretty simple..i wont know if it helped until morning when it is cold again...but i will keep you posted....thanx guys!

stroker393 11-18-2008 05:03 PM

:-bangheadI'm working on the same problem with my 86 Bronco II 4WD. Months ago it would upshift OK but on downshifting to a stop it felt like it stayed in D too long so you would get a clunk/slam. I chased that noise for weeks replacing bushings,mounts,joints,etc and then it just went away and the tranny shifted perfectly until now. It was rebuilt last year (20,000 miles) and fluid is full and clean. I've replaced the VSS at tranny and have a new vacuum modulator and filter/gasket ready to install; just haven't got around to it. I'm leaning toward maybe a stuck governor but I'm not looking forward to removing the Tcase.

:-X25 :confused:

baddmove 11-19-2008 03:20 PM

well guys..no change today..still would not shift into drive until it warmed up, or after 5 mins in second gear,,(speed limit is 25 here so no damage)..let's say it is a pump...where is it located? and is it easy enough to change? i cant see me dropping my T-case to get to the gov..and i cannot afford to have it taken to a shop....any more help is greatly appreciated..thanx again..Bob

Eddiec1564 11-19-2008 04:56 PM

Well the pump is in the front of the tranny, must pull the whole works to get to it. If you can't or unable to drop the xfer case then dropping the trans will be beyond you. I doubt its the pump, as usually reverse will act up before any forward gears as reverse needs higher line pressures than forward gears. I still think the gov is the problem or valve body is gunked up. You can drop the pan and valvebody while its in the vehicle. Read up before tackling a valvebody job.

stroker393 11-19-2008 05:02 PM

Check the vacuum hose that runs from the modulator (side of tranny near cat.converter) to the hose port at rear of engine for fluid; if wet change vac. modulator and if not just to be sure replace the vacuum hose. A new modulator runs around $20 and hose ($1@ft). I'm replacing the modulator and filter/gasket this weekend and in that order; test driving after each repair in hopes of curing my problem. If not I'll pull the t-case and replace governor next. Your pump is in tranny so to get to it you'll have to drop t-case and transmission and if you get that far a rebuild is in order. Maybe with both of us having the same problem we'll find the cure soon. Keep posting as I have learned our problem will be another FORD guys problem in the future; Ford-trucks has saved me numerous times in the past in chasing a problem and I've always found the answers here.

:-X25 :-drink :-jammin

baddmove 11-22-2008 12:30 PM

o.k. i got the new vacuum mod at Schucks for 10$ now i just need to find out where it is...after looking online for an hour...i'm guessing it's on the tranny by the Cat. conv. it's so tight up in there that i was wondering..do i need to pull cat. conv. out to get to it? sheesh..what a pain...ilovemytruck..ilovemytruck....<~~~mantra to keep me sane...lol

baddmove 11-22-2008 03:22 PM

well guys..i looked everywhere on the tranny and do not see the vac. mod. anywhere, in fact, there is only a couple of things sticking out of my tranny..the shift cable and 2 tranny lines for the cooler..otherwise, that's it..one other place online i was looking said it was under the battery case.(?)..
Does anyone have a diagram or exploded view so i can see where to look? even the chilton does'nt show where it is...sorry to be a pain but i really want to change this part...thanx...Bob

97Centurion 11-22-2008 04:03 PM

I believe they are normally on the passenger side rear of the tranny, near were the tail shaft bolts to the tranny. There should be a rubber hose that runs from it to a metal pipe. On top of the tranny and goes from there to the top of the bell housing and then it changes back to a rubber hose.

I really don't know a lot about transmissions but I don't think that's the problem with it. Could be, but normally when they go bad you have problems shifting from 1st to second. Also I think your tranny has a electric shift module in the tranny. That gould be it or maybe you have a stick valve in the tranny. Again I'm not much up on trannys but those are a few things you might check into.

baddmove 11-22-2008 04:29 PM

WOOT!! i stumbled across this
http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/s...d.php?t=422217
and it helped me find mine..bad news..i gotta pull the cat. conv. off to get to it..but at least i know where it is now..nice pics too....