Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Help With The "brown Wire Mod" (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/792353-help-with-the-brown-wire-mod.html)

ESKYMOPACK 11-12-2008 03:24 PM

Help With The "brown Wire Mod"

Guys,
I've searched the forum and found some links for the infamous brown wire modification, but those links keep bringing me to someone elses post for something else. Wasn't there supposed to be a "sticky" on this modification?? If so could someone help a brodda and direct me to it??? I had it saved in my favorites but its missing now.

thanks ESKYMOPACK!

V8Limited 11-12-2008 06:49 PM

Maybe a description of exactly what a brown wire mod is/does?

ESKYMOPACK 11-13-2008 08:28 AM

The Brown Wire Modification is for those Control Trac Explorers that don't include a way to put the vehicle in 2WD. The only options we have are "AUTO, 4WD HI, AND 4WD LO". The brown wire (that leads 12 Volts to the transfer case) powers up the clutch for the front wheels to spin when necessary, and when you splice thru it and put a switch on it, you automatically get 2WD HI from the switch in the off position. There used to be quite a few threads regarding this procedure with pic's that show splicing up thru the wiring behind the radio, and I found some threads that show the link, but all it does is bring me to another thread about buying someones headers. Anotherwards, I think someone sabotaged that link for their own classified ad.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer V-6 Control Trac and want to do this procedure.
Please help!

rrgone 11-13-2008 01:16 PM

For Gen 2 Explorers: Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts Serious Explorations

For Gen 3 Explorers: BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts Serious Explorations

Bear River 11-13-2008 08:20 PM

The problem with the mod, is that when you disconnect the brown wire, you still have AWD. All you have done is prevented it from locking up if it detects that you might be slipping. If you disable the the AWD system you accomplish a whopping, NOTHING. All that effort to do something that could be otherwise accomplished by pulling a fuse.

To clarify, let me explain in breif how the AWD system works. Inside the transfer case is a planetary unit. This unit transfer approximately 30% of the torque to the front wheels. This planetary has a lockup feature. There are sensors that tell the AWD computer about the wheel speeds. If it detects more than a certain amount of speed differential between the two driveshafts, it locks the planetary into a 1:1 ratio. In the 4HI position, it just locks the planetary all the time. When you switch it into 4LO, it runs everything through a different gear to alter the shaft speed. So when you disable the brown wire, what you do is prevent the case from going into lockup, but even without lockup, about 30% of the torque is still being transfered into the front wheels, and you are still in AWD.

rrgone 11-14-2008 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bear River (Post 6765511)
The problem with the mod, is that when you disconnect the brown wire, you still have AWD. All you have done is prevented it from locking up if it detects that you might be slipping. If you disable the the AWD system you accomplish a whopping, NOTHING. All that effort to do something that could be otherwise accomplished by pulling a fuse.

To clarify, let me explain in breif how the AWD system works. Inside the transfer case is a planetary unit. This unit transfer approximately 30% of the torque to the front wheels. This planetary has a lockup feature. There are sensors that tell the AWD computer about the wheel speeds. If it detects more than a certain amount of speed differential between the two driveshafts, it locks the planetary into a 1:1 ratio. In the 4HI position, it just locks the planetary all the time. When you switch it into 4LO, it runs everything through a different gear to alter the shaft speed. So when you disable the brown wire, what you do is prevent the case from going into lockup, but even without lockup, about 30% of the torque is still being transfered into the front wheels, and you are still in AWD.

Yep, wouldn't work on your AWD Aerostar. But it's pretty well documented that it does in fact offer a true 2WD option for those with the A4WD equipped Explorers, without having to fumble around in the fuse box.

disclaimer: I have not done this mod to my Explorer. I see no reason to do so. However, some folks just gotta mod...

slick351 05-23-2009 01:06 PM

Now would this work for a 2000 Ford Expedition? I found the wire but not ready to cut and switch till I get a confirmation
Thanks