Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F-250 crash test video (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/792210-f-250-crash-test-video.html)

Richard_cranium 11-12-2008 12:56 AM

F-250 crash test video

YouTube - Ford F-250 vs. Ford Focus crash test, top view (NHTSA)

was just in awe after seeing this video and had to share.

Bladely 11-12-2008 01:18 AM

I think I'll keep my gas hog.

YouTube - '06 Ford F-250 vs. '02 Ford Focus crash test, closer (NHTSA)

marcs724 11-12-2008 05:47 AM

That's amazing. I too will stick with my SD. Tell me again why it costs more to insure a truck than a car? The truck in that test needs a bumper and a grill and the car needs...... uh...... replaced and the people in it would have probably been dead or real close.

riggz 11-12-2008 07:49 AM

Keep in mind, while the Focus looks a lot worse, the car has absorbed a lot of the impact. The passengers in the truck would have taken more of the impact by either hitting the windshield and/or held back by the seat belt. They would experience a much abrupt stop and could cause more internal injuries.

edd9000 11-12-2008 08:33 AM

They cost more to insure because if you hit someone else you total their car!

riggz, perhaps what you say is true if you hit something solid or maybe another f250, but looking at that video the 250 doesnt deaccelerate any faster than the focus, infact the focus ends up going backwards, any cushioning from crumple zones in the focus will have the same effect on the f250 (equal and opposite forces and all that)

edd

KelVarnson 11-12-2008 09:20 AM

Yeah, 18mpg on the highway doesn't seem too bad after you watch that video.

My insurance agent suggested that I increase my liability insurance over the typical number, because of the size and weight of my truck.

hotnanas 11-12-2008 10:50 AM

I think my 06 F250 passed the test.

here's another video of an 06 hitting a brick wall:
YouTube - 2006 Ford F-250 Frontal Override Test

riggz 11-13-2008 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by edd9000 (Post 6757735)
They cost more to insure because if you hit someone else you total their car!

riggz, perhaps what you say is true if you hit something solid or maybe another f250, but looking at that video the 250 doesnt deaccelerate any faster than the focus, infact the focus ends up going backwards, any cushioning from crumple zones in the focus will have the same effect on the f250 (equal and opposite forces and all that)

edd

It's not something you are going to see but rather feel. I've worked numerous wrecks where the passengers in the smaller cars have surface injruies while the bigger vehicle's passengers have more internal injuries. The focus transfers the energy of impact through the frame of the car and absorbs a lot more than the F250. This keeps the passengers from absorbing the energy. Think of it like this. Your insides (internal organs) are going the same speed as the truck. When the truck hits something those organs slam against the rib cage causing internal bleed outs. I've seen so many accidents where the passengers of a vehicle are dead but have no apparent injuries.

This is why they create the crumple zones and newer/safer cars don't hold up as well in accidents.

edd9000 11-13-2008 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by riggz (Post 6763976)
It's not something you are going to see but rather feel. I've worked numerous wrecks where the passengers in the smaller cars have surface injruies while the bigger vehicle's passengers have more internal injuries. The focus transfers the energy of impact through the frame of the car and absorbs a lot more than the F250. This keeps the passengers from absorbing the energy. Think of it like this. Your insides (internal organs) are going the same speed as the truck. When the truck hits something those organs slam against the rib cage causing internal bleed outs. I've seen so many accidents where the passengers of a vehicle are dead but have no apparent injuries.

This is why they create the crumple zones and newer/safer cars don't hold up as well in accidents.

Im well aware of how crumple zones etc work, just watch an f1 car (or even the new nascar car of tommorow) disintegate on impact only for the drive to get out unharmed. I also understand its the deacceleration that causes the internal injuries, and this make total sence if the f250 hit something solid (ie a wall) or another f250 (the unstoppable force hits the immovable object)

But in the video above, both vehicles are moving into one another, the focus having less mass and being squishy (crumple zones etc) cushion the impact for the f250 as much as for the driver in the focus. ie id still rather be in the f250 in this situation, but if i hit a brick wall, id probably be better off in the focus.

edd

riggz 11-13-2008 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by edd9000 (Post 6764735)
id still rather be in the f250 in this situation, but if i hit a brick wall, id probably be better off in the focus.

edd

The F250 pretty much is a brick wall. ;)

aortizexcursion 11-13-2008 07:24 PM

You all do realize the Super Duties have crumple zones designed into them also, right?

Angrywasp 11-13-2008 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by hotnanas (Post 6758262)
I think my 06 F250 passed the test.

here's another video of an 06 hitting a brick wall:
YouTube - 2006 Ford F-250 Frontal Override Test

My only problem with this one is that the cab came off the frame. Kinda bothers me that the Silverado video for the same test the cab stays attached to the frame. Not a big thing since I don't plan to run into any concrete bunkers anytime soon but something to think about. Maybe some upgraded bolts are in order.

Citypol86 11-13-2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by riggz (Post 6757601)
Keep in mind, while the Focus looks a lot worse, the car has absorbed a lot of the impact. The passengers in the truck would have taken more of the impact by either hitting the windshield and/or held back by the seat belt. They would experience a much abrupt stop and could cause more internal injuries.

What?!? You're on drugs! Do a momentum equation on it, you'll find out that the people in the truck are much better off, especially with the airbags as shown in the clip.
Both experience and theory says you lose in a small "crumple" vehicle.

Later...
Brewster...

rockstate45 11-13-2008 08:34 PM

holy ****. That's absolutely nuts. Glad I drive a truck and not a Focus!

I gotta show that to my buddy who has a tricked out Focus haha. Sweet ride but still a Focus

-rockstate

patrickke 11-13-2008 09:15 PM

it looked like that 250 was a bit hungry lol