Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   V10 Performance Upgrades (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/791557-v10-performance-upgrades.html)

N20Jnky 11-10-2008 09:12 AM

V10 Performance Upgrades

Hey Gang:Just purchased a 05 V10 with 45,000 miles. Would like to get ideas on the best bang for the buck upgrades. Who has the best programmer and has any one gotten any real performace out of upgraded air intakes? Other ideas that provide additional HP/TQ?Thanks.

Suburban_B_Gone 11-10-2008 09:37 AM

N20Jnky,

I am still looking for an excursion like you found. Congratulations! How far from home did you have to go for it? I have been looking for months. They always end up being salted up and rusty, having a stupid asking price, or they are already gone.

Got pictures?

Good Luck,

-JR

X_Hemi_Guy 11-10-2008 09:43 AM

You will probably get much better responses by posting this over in the V10 forum...

I drive a V10 and I tow a 9000# TT with my V10. I've towed 18,000 miles with her the last 3 summers. I've tackled the Rockies TWICE, the Black Hills, Big Horns, Sandia's, countless peaks in Utah and Arizona, Appalachians and Smokies with this setup.

My V10 is pretty much STOCK and does a superb job of pulling.

The ONLY thing I decided to do to the drive train (besides maintenance items like fuel filter, clean MAF sensor and a K&N drop in filter and a few suspension upgrades) was to change my 3.73's to 4.30's and not handicap the V10 with IMO inferior gearing for towing.

The 4.30's with stock tires are IMO the PERFECT rear end gearing for the V10. It matches up perfectly to the power band of the 2V V10. You mentioned you just purchased an '05 V10...if it is in an Ex...you have the 2V...if it is in an F250/350 you have the 3V...I wasn't sure which you had purchased but assumed it was an Ex based on the fact you posted it in the Ex forum...

The OEM intake for our 2V motors inside the Ex engine compartment is already sucking the coldest air possible. I monitor the air intake temp sensor and it is outside ambient...so adding a CAI doesn't make sense to me...

Now besides gearing...things I have heard others have success with are removing the Y pipe which allows much less restriction on the exhaust...also I've read some good reports headers in conjunction with that mod.

Programmers...I think the majority of improvements on programmers for the V10 will be in transmission shift point modifications...the 4R100 is very sluggish with 3.73's in my experiences. The 4.30's don't seem so sluggish for some reason...

Mind you that the majority of my miles are TOWING so my 'adaptive' learning strategy on the trans is setup for working...you can disconnect your battery and turn on your headlights to kill the memory in the PCM and 're-learn' the shift points for your driving style...it may help.

Seriously...check out the dedicated V10 forum if you really want to learn about mods for this wonderful motor....

But...to recap...I roll down the road at 17,000#'s combined weight...my application is by far mostly pure towing...I've pulled over an 11,000' pass in the Rockies...to me...the stock performance with 4.30's is pretty darn good!

Good luck and welcome to FTE!

Joe.

Toreador_Diesel 11-10-2008 11:13 AM

Since Joe insisted, I'll get this moved to the V10 forum....:rolleyes:

X_Hemi_Guy 11-10-2008 11:55 AM

I wasn't that I insisted...I just thought he'd get more responses in the V10 house...that's all! :-drink

Toreador_Diesel 11-10-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy (Post 6749191)
I wasn't that I insisted...I just thought he'd get more responses in the V10 house...that's all! :-drink

Just some friendly ribbing Joe...you and Monsta are the Excursion forum V210 go to guys. :-drink

If it's of or relating to towing with the V10 or just general knowledge, there are few better to talk to than you.

Sorry to :-hijacked :-offtopic