Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   LOUD pop, no power, no boost!! Now what? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/791385-loud-pop-no-power-no-boost-now-what.html)

skl 11-09-2008 06:15 PM

LOUD pop, no power, no boost!! Now what?

Job1 F250 crew cab, just had the reflash a couple weeks ago along with the venturi T.
On way home from Costco merging onto interstate, heard a loud pop and then a strange wheering or whistling sound and noticed the boost gauge at zero and basically no power- NO big cloud of smoke that I could see though it was dark outside. And NO CEL!! Temps seem fine though the drive home was only about 6-7 miles. Got it home, idles fine- started right up after unloading.
Now what? Blown turbo? The dealer is 30 miles away and I don't feel comfortable driving it there- how do they tow a beast like this???? Thank God it's in warranty and I haven't removed the DPF yet!!!

:-banghead:-banghead:-banghead

senix 11-09-2008 06:19 PM

you can call road side assistance to have them come get it. It does sound like the turbo is gone, keep us posted.

my1stF250 11-09-2008 06:52 PM

A week ago I am driving about 20 miles an hour from one light to another and hear a loud pop. I am almost positive there was nothing in the road. The rest of the drive to work I monitered all gauges and they are normal. When I got home that evening rolled under it just to check and could not see anything that would explain the sound. Still to this day everything is operating normally so I am at a loss. On one hand i am relieved everything seems okay but on the other hand I am still concerned about what caused the noise.

I would call Road Side Service and have them tow it.

05chop 11-09-2008 07:09 PM

Could be the air pipe hump hose blew off from the air charge cooler.Easy fix.

skl 11-09-2008 07:49 PM

Hope it's an easy fix but glad I wasn't towing home my trailer from a race 250 miles from home!! I can see the cab coming off now...

Weird there is NO boost as there are two turbos even if one gave up the ghost...

senix 11-09-2008 07:51 PM

keep us posted, haven't heard of anyone else having this issue.

gwcon 11-09-2008 08:16 PM

Sorry to hear about the problems. Sounds like turbo problems but I am no mechanic. Warranty, warranty and more warranty. That is why we pay the big bucks for a big warranties. I personally would not buy a new vehicle without a premium care warranty for 100,000 miles if I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. Just my 2 cents.

2x6 bulldog 11-09-2008 08:23 PM

I agree with 05chop turbo boost hose blew off. I was in a dodge and a boost hose clamp blew off on the owners truck. It'll scare the heck out of you. No power until you hose clamp it back on. We were in the middle of no where on a cold and windy night. The clamp was gone and we had to limp to a truck stop and hooked several cheap little hose clamps together to get back on the road. The truck made it home another 500 miles like that. Knowing this guy he never had it fixed right.

skl 11-09-2008 09:20 PM

If it was a turbo hose is it easily seen on top of the engine? I'm reasonably mechanical and if easy would try and replace it myself to save the hassle of towing it to the dealer. I am surprised it didn't throw a CEL... too tired to go screw with it tonight. Will call the dealer tomorrow and go from there. Luckily it's not my DD!

Lead Head 11-09-2008 09:30 PM

Another vote for an intake hose blowing off, or the intercooler blew. I wouldn't drive it any more though, without boost your engine creates excessive soot (which the DPF won't like), and if a hose did blow off or your intercooler popped, you could be sucking in unfiltered air into your engine

66stang351 11-10-2008 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by skl (Post 6747421)
If it was a turbo hose is it easily seen on top of the engine? I'm reasonably mechanical and if easy would try and replace it myself to save the hassle of towing it to the dealer. I am surprised it didn't throw a CEL... too tired to go screw with it tonight. Will call the dealer tomorrow and go from there. Luckily it's not my DD!

Just follow the tubes from the turbo to the aftercooler and back to the engine. The tubes should all be visible from the top.

Toreador_Diesel 11-10-2008 02:24 PM

Sounds like your intercooler hose blew off , my 7.3 did that about 3 times this year. As soon as I heard it, I knew what it was without a doubt. Just keep your intercooler boots tight and you should be ok. I'm looking into some aftermarket boots to prevent this from happening again.

Duanne 11-10-2008 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 6746430)
you can call road side assistance to have them come get it. It does sound like the turbo is gone, keep us posted.

The clamp on my turbo hose has broken and the hose fell off three times. One time on the road I bought some radiator hose clamps and put it back on. Now I carry spares. There is some kind of defect in the clamp in my opinion.

Duanne

senix 11-10-2008 05:33 PM

sounds like I should add a couple of big hose clamps to my tool box just in case.

skl 11-10-2008 09:19 PM

Well... checked hoses on the top side- all nice and tight. Climbed underneath and the turbo hose on the driver's side coming off the intercooler was off at the junction with the up-tube. Had it in a week ago for the radiator replacement and wonder if they hadn't completely tightened it. Tightened it up and now I have boost again!! And don't need to tow it to the dealer. May get some new hose clamps at least to carry as a spare...

Thanks for the suggestions above...:-drink